Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Did you find the process of permanently moving to Spain difficult?

Did you find the process of permanently moving to Spain difficult?

Old Nov 14th 2017, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

lizzybuzzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Did you find the process of permanently moving to Spain difficult?

I have just been reading about what is involved in moving to Spain and it sounds complicated. Do you have any advice? Thank you
Old Nov 15th 2017, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you find the process of permanently moving to Spain difficult?

Originally Posted by lizzybuzzy
I have just been reading about what is involved in moving to Spain and it sounds complicated. Do you have any advice? Thank you
It depends on your circumstances, although the bureaucracy is a bit tedious it's reasonably straightforward. For example:-
Whereabouts are you thinking of moving?
Are you hoping to work?
Do you speak Spanish?
Are you financially self sufficient?
Are you a pensioner?
Are you in good health?
Do you have sufficient funds or income to show that you will not be a burden on the state?
etc
Old Nov 15th 2017, 8:14 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

we moved, as pensioners in 2004, bought a house, through an agency and paid them an extra €300 for a months help once we had moved in, they got us on the padron, signed up to the health people, got us an EHIC card, we had to get ours in Spain at that time, got us our NIE, transported us to shops to buy things we hadn't brought over, like white goods, but they had given us an €1000 bonus for buying through them so we just used that for fridge, freezer, washing machine, cooker etc. They also found out where I could get my ears tested and organised that with English speaking people. So there was very little hassle, however I doubt there are many agents offering that level of service now as in 2004 they were all falling over each other to offer inducements. No we hadn't gone on a buying trip, so choice of agents was ours and we could, and did, turn down all their initial property choices.
For us it was a simple, pain free experience, well apart from the moving company being two days late delivering our furniture, but they even helped with that, sorting out somewhere for us to stay AND getting the movers to pay.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mikelincs
we moved, as pensioners in 2004, bought a house, through an agency and paid them an extra €300 for a months help once we had moved in, they got us on the padron, signed up to the health people, got us an EHIC card, we had to get ours in Spain at that time, got us our NIE, transported us to shops to buy things we hadn't brought over, like white goods, but they had given us an €1000 bonus for buying through them so we just used that for fridge, freezer, washing machine, cooker etc. They also found out where I could get my ears tested and organised that with English speaking people. So there was very little hassle, however I doubt there are many agents offering that level of service now as in 2004 they were all falling over each other to offer inducements. No we hadn't gone on a buying trip, so choice of agents was ours and we could, and did, turn down all their initial property choices.
For us it was a simple, pain free experience, well apart from the moving company being two days late delivering our furniture, but they even helped with that, sorting out somewhere for us to stay AND getting the movers to pay.
Hi, like Mikelincs we moved over as pensioners too. We bought all our furniture & white goods locally and the furniture shop owner delivered, unpacked & arranged everything. He also co-ordinated this with the delivery of white goods so that the day we arrived all we had to do was unpack our clothes. We did the NIE & other necessities ourselves & although some things take a while to process the whole transition was fairly smooth. As Mikelincs also says that was when there were a lot of people buying properties & making the permanent move so there was plenty of help. Knowing others who already live there and using this site will answer lots of your questions but it is exciting actually doing what you can yourself & makes you try out your Spanish. After 9 years we have now returned to the UK (grandchildren) but will never regret or forget the wonderful years we enjoyed there & all the friends we made, regards Bryony.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Hello Mike. Unfortunately, I do not have independent income
as such, I have carers allowance which is in lieu of work [not a benifit] with stamp paid to date and my son I believe will be entitled to export his disability payments under EU law. We hope to let out a room from our property for extra income. I think our status will prevent us making the move the requirements seem so complex.We would not be a burden on the Spanish council although our income is low it is enough.And we do have savings which could sustain us for many years or at least until I get my pension. My health is fine. I have NIE and purchased a house already, I really want to make a decision in the next few weeks before Bexit is complete. Would it be irresponsible if I just did it! My solicitor says 'why not?'' he said many Europeans move to Spain with no funds at all. Our house is in Ayamonte. I dont speak Spanish but I would learn it would be disrespectful not to.
Originally Posted by MikeJ
It depends on your circumstances, although the bureaucracy is a bit tedious it's reasonably straightforward. For example:-
Whereabouts are you thinking of moving?
Are you hoping to work?
Do you speak Spanish?
Are you financially self sufficient?
Are you a pensioner?
Are you in good health?
Do you have sufficient funds or income to show that you will not be a burden on the state?
etc
Old Nov 16th 2017, 9:36 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Hi, like Mikelincs we moved over as pensioners too. We bought all our furniture & white goods locally and the furniture shop owner delivered, unpacked & arranged everything. He also co-ordinated this with the delivery of white goods so that the day we arrived all we had to do was unpack our clothes. We did the NIE & other necessities ourselves & although some things take a while to process the whole transition was fairly smooth. As Mikelincs also says that was when there were a lot of people buying properties & making the permanent move so there was plenty of help. Knowing others who already live there and using this site will answer lots of your questions but it is exciting actually doing what you can yourself & makes you try out your Spanish. After 9 years we have now returned to the UK (grandchildren) but will never regret or forget the wonderful years we enjoyed there & all the friends we made, regards Bryony.
A couple of times we were out shopping and bought goods that needed to be delivered they often wanted to deliver before we would have got home, so we had to delay them. Customer service was excellent in those days, not too sure what it is like today.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Thank you. I did not intend to move permanently to Spain but as time goes on it seems to be an option worth considering.I see my grandchild about once a month, in a way, I think I may see more of them if I lived in Spain.I seem to spend huge amounts on heating bills and the cost of living is really high overall. And the Spanish people love my son who has mental disabilities something I have not experienced in the UK. Are you pleased you returned to the UK have you settled back? I am planning a trip out soon to furnish my house but now I am thinking should I just use my own furniture and just move! Its nerve-wracking
Old Nov 16th 2017, 9:54 am
Concierge

Thank you. I did not intend to move permanently to Spain but as time goes on it seems to be an option worth considering.I see my grandchild about once a month, in a way, I think I may see more of them if I lived in Spain.I seem to spend huge amounts on heating bills and the cost of living is really high overall. And the Spanish people love my son who has mental disabilities something I have not experienced in the UK. Are you pleased you returned to the UK have you settled back? I am planning a trip out soon to furnish my house but now I am thinking should I just use my own furniture and just move! Its nerve-wracking
Yes we are pleased to be back, just be very aware that disability payments and things like carers allowance are something the UK government will be looking to stop once we have left the EU, the UK government tried very hard to block them before and had to be taken to the European court to force them to pay, once out of the EU they will be a prime target.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Yes we are pleased to be back, just be very aware that disability payments and things like carers allowance are something the UK government will be looking to stop once we have left the EU, the UK government tried very hard to block them before and had to be taken to the European court to force them to pay, once out of the EU they will be a prime target.
Yes it an uncertainty.I was discussing this yesterday with a benefits advisor and there is some chance an agreement will be made to ring-fence or protect people already out of the country .New rules will only affect future applicants.At the moment its a gamble
Old Nov 16th 2017, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

A couple of times we were out shopping and bought goods that needed to be delivered they often wanted to deliver before we would have got home, so we had to delay them. Customer service was excellent in those days, not too sure what it is like today.
Still as good, not long before we moved back we needed to replace our tumble dryer. Bought it in the morning, delivered when they closed for lunch 😊
Old Nov 16th 2017, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes we are pleased that we came back to the UK & we still have our home in Spain (at the moment) for holidays. We are living in a new area & we think of it as the next adventure in our life. Strangely out of all the friends we made in Spain 10 couples have returned to the UK (for various reasons) so new people are definitely needed to fill the gaps.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Ayamonte, the bill for heating this place, not to what I would call warm ( I am a Scot so used to cold ) is horrendous ! I am colder here than back home. Will depend on what type of house you have, I wear more clothes here and socks ! which I never wear other than with boots. Gas heaters and radiators required from Nov till Feb / March.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 8:00 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought. A huge advantage for us is the proximity of another country, Portugal, on the doorstep. Allowing lots of extra options.

Depending on your personal situation, you may find that it is beneficial to do it in 'reverse' and live close to the border of Spain. There are (potentially) great tax benefits over there... And life would essentially be the same. Cost of living stays low.

Google 'non habitual resident' & Portugal to see if this programme works for you.

Friends of ours did this and are reaping the benefits, they had a lawyer set it up for them and made it really easy for them

Good luck
Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Nov 17th 2017 at 8:07 am.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Just a thought. A huge advantage for us is the proximity of another country, Portugal, on the doorstep. Allowing lots of extra options.

Depending on your personal situation, you may find that it is beneficial to do it in 'reverse' and live close to the border of Spain. There are (potentially) great tax benefits over there... And life would essentially be the same. Cost of living stays low.

Google 'non habitual resident' & Portugal to see if this programme works for you.

Friends of ours did this and are reaping the benefits, they had a lawyer set it up for them and made it really easy kfor them

Good luck
Jon
Hi Jon, if you read the previous posts I think you will find that she already has a property in Ayamonte 😊
Old Nov 17th 2017, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
I live in Ayamonte, the bill for heating this place, not to what I would call warm ( I am a Scot so used to cold ) is horrendous ! I am colder here than back home. Will depend on what type of house you have, I wear more clothes here and socks ! which I never wear other than with boots. Gas heaters and radiators required from Nov till Feb / March.
Couldn't agree more, we found the Winters a lot colder (indoors) than in the UK as, of course, the properties do not retain any heat. We used to sit in the Sun to keep warm & then, in the evenings, put the warm air (which is not cheap) on for an hour to take the chill off. I also wore a scarf indoors & we also had throws & a gas heater. When you look at Winter nightwear in the shops you will see that it's all winceyette & always comes with matching bed jackets & bed socks & believe me you will need it. Regards Bryony.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.