Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 and Britophobia

Covid-19 and Britophobia

Old Jul 9th 2020, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Covid-19 and Britophobia

https://www.rt.com/uk/494237-british...n-coronavirus/

I am sure some will dismiss this as Russian propaganda from the evil agents of Putin. My feeling is that RT is a bit more independent than The BBC !
Old Jul 10th 2020, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid-19 and Britophobia

Originally Posted by scot47

I am sure some will dismiss this as Russian propaganda from the evil agents of Putin. My feeling is that RT is a bit more independent than The BBC !
.Esurians are far more concerned about Madrilenos coming than Brits.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 8:25 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47

Its nothing to do with Britophobia, .... Or evil international press manipulation. Its 'CV-"phobia" '

This is a YouGov poll and it clearly says that its a 2-way street. People are worried about open borders. After 3 months of isolation where the majority observed the guidance, there is an understandable fear/nervousness about full integration into society.

Another YouGov poll is on BBC today. Greater than 60% of people say that they wont ever shake hands again!!. Thats also regardless of where you are going and who you are visiting with and where they are coming from.

I remember when UK residents could finally travel anywhere for the day, the national parks (eg Peak District) and places like Cornwall urged people not to come, reminding us that there were no toilets, pubs, restos etc. Thats before borders opened. In fact CV-phobia is a wrong term from me, who wants a second wave!! And to go through all that again! Its a totally understandable reaction

One thing that bugs me in the 'new world' of social media etc is the mass of fake news, exaggerated reporting, spin, manipulation and even, lies.

Jon
PS from a purely anectodal POV, I have been in Italy and France this week, I haven't seen the slightest problem, quite the opposite actually.

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jul 10th 2020 at 8:55 am.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Re handshakes Jon, how about we all practice the Vulcan greeting 🖖 'Live long & prosper 😊
Old Jul 11th 2020, 7:10 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Re handshakes Jon, how about we all practice the Vulcan greeting 🖖 'Live long & prosper 😊
What a great idea!!! I've been doing the fist pump thing, but this is better. I'll try it today

Peace and long life 🖖🖖

Jon
Old Jul 11th 2020, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
What a great idea!!! I've been doing the fist pump thing, but this is better. I'll try it today

Peace and long life 🖖🖖

Jon
Or maybe the Vulcan death grip. Or would that be a bit to harsh for some people .

As for the future, post lock down

" Its life Jim,but not as we know it"

Old Jul 11th 2020, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Namaste
Old Jul 11th 2020, 9:56 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide
Or maybe the Vulcan death grip. Or would that be a bit to harsh for some people .

As for the future, post lock down

" Its life Jim,but not as we know it"
The new normal.

I missed some of the various Star Trek series due to work abroad. I caught up with all of them in 3+ months lockdown... Over 300 episodes!! So years later I still kling-on ! Some were Spock-tacular, I'll keep my 3 ears open for the next new series when it comes, left ear, right ear and final frontier!

Jon
Old Jul 11th 2020, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

It strikes me us Brits aren't going anywhere. For many years My wife and I have been visiting a nice Wetherspoons pub in an attractive waterside setting. We generally go twice a month for breakfast and with free coffee refills & watch the world go by - rain or shine. We avoid the school summer hols period though. Anyway we went this week for the first time since lock down and it was miserable !! No atmosphere whatsoever. The company have done a good job in separating the tables and screening and it could probably seat 50 now. We've been there before and its been packed - getting too popular. probably at least 80 people there at between 9.30 and 11.00am. Despite their efficiency in making the premises covid safe there were only ELEVEN customers this week. Assuming they had two staff in the kitchen there would have been a total of seven staff on duty. They must have made a considerable loss that morning.
Whilst I understand that no one wants to contract the virus, life has to restart and get to a new normality, BUT loads of people have chosen to remain in lockdown especially those aged fifty plus. It seems that Europe will struggle to attract too many Brits for a while. The Spaniards don't need to worry about us coming back in droves this summer.
Old Jul 11th 2020, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

To be honest Keith we aren't keen to go anywhere for the time being. We had booked a holiday (should go on the 20th) by train to Vienna to celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary but we have postponed it until next year. Strangely enough, during lockdown, we have found a buyer for our property on Marina Esuri. We are due to complete in a couple of weeks but are leaving all the paperwork etc to be handled by our estate agent in Ayamonte so that we don't have to go there ourselves.
Old Jul 11th 2020, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Mike, I hear where you are coming from and age is not kind to Covid. I am approaching 70 but feel life has to move on now. I just can't stay at home for the rest of my life. Two of my former work colleagues have died in the past couple of months ( cancer) and they were both under 70 years old. So either there's a risk of Covid getting you or if not some awful disease. I think it's a calculated risk where you go and what you do. I wouldn't want to be in a busy pub at night that is full of younger generation. That to me would be too great a risk, but to go to a resto well spaced inside I find acceptable.
I'm sorry to hear are leaving us a Marina esuri, but I suppose there comes a time when it's too much effort to keep flying. Even at my age I find the day travelling is quite arduous now.
Old Jul 12th 2020, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes it will certainly be the end of an era for us. We took possession of our duplex in 2006, then we lived there permanently from 2008-2015. We now live in a part of the UK we have never lived before & are enjoying our new adventure. I am a member of the local Golf Club and last year was Seniors Captain. I think one of the problems with travelling/holidaying/eating out etc,at the moment, are the restrictions that have had to be put in place for everyone's safety. Fingers X'd that things will improve & we can all eventually feel safe. We will still come to Ayamonte in the future as we have made a lot of lovely friends there over the years.