Corona virus

Old Mar 13th 2020, 8:29 am
  #1  
BE Positive
Thread Starter
 
Jon-Bxl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,665
Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Corona virus

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2020/03/12/breaking-spains-andalucia-closes-all-schools-and-universities-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/

Friends with kids at school sent me this. So even here in the fresh air, low population density and warm climate we are subject to these controls.

The local Ayamonte footy match is closed to spectators on Sunday.

My friend a PT police officer had an official briefing with his colleagues from the health ministry last week. They were told that the virus is stopped at temperatures of 28C +. I haven't heard that corroborated elsewhere however.

But we have 28C+ in the sun and it won't be long till we get it in the shade.

Being positive, this could be one of the best places to be!

Jon
Jon-Bxl is offline  
Old Mar 13th 2020, 9:12 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,439
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Corona virus

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl View Post
https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2020/03/12/breaking-spains-andalucia-closes-all-schools-and-universities-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/

Friends with kids at school sent me this. So even here in the fresh air, low population density and warm climate we are subject to these controls.

The local Ayamonte footy match is closed to spectators on Sunday.

My friend a PT police officer had an official briefing with his colleagues from the health ministry last week. They were told that the virus is stopped at temperatures of 28C +. I haven't heard that corroborated elsewhere however.

But we have 28C+ in the sun and it won't be long till we get it in the shade.

Being positive, this could be one of the best places to be!

Jon
I wouldn't believe all the myths.

COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in areas with hot and humid climates

From the evidence so far, the COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in ALL AREAS, including areas with hot and humid weather. Regardless of climate, adopt protective measures if you live in, or travel to an area reporting COVID-19. The best way to protect yourself against COVID-19 is by frequently cleaning your hands. By doing this you eliminate viruses that may be on your hands and avoid infection that could occur by then touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...c/myth-busters
Moses2013 is offline  
Old Mar 13th 2020, 9:43 am
  #3  
BE Positive
Thread Starter
 
Jon-Bxl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,665
Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Corona virus

Originally Posted by Moses2013 View Post
I wouldn't believe all the myths.

COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in areas with hot and humid climates

From the evidence so far, the COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in ALL AREAS, including areas with hot and humid weather. Regardless of climate, adopt protective measures if you live in, or travel to an area reporting COVID-19. The best way to protect yourself against COVID-19 is by frequently cleaning your hands. By doing this you eliminate viruses that may be on your hands and avoid infection that could occur by then touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...c/myth-busters
Hi Moses2013.

As I said I hadn't seen it corroborated. But it was after all, an official health ministry briefing to the police. It wasn't a 'myth'

However you are right to say that we should all take prevention measures wherever we are, now that the WHO has officially declared it as a Pandemic. Hand washing, self isolation to avoid contact with others ... especially the elderly or those with existing medical conditions. Etc etc. I personally am very happy with the plans being made in the UK, generally in this difficult time.

I remain positive for myself, and even if I get it, I am luckily not in the highest risk group. I hope therefore to recover fully. (Famous last words )

However if you have elderly family or friends with existing medical conditions, of course you should be very concerned.

A danger in these remarkable times, with all sorts of info coming in from ALL the media etc, is that panic ensures. Your article is great, and serves as a good reminder. However it feels it must also answer questions eg around UV lamps, hot baths, chlorine etc etc

As a politician said recently, the biggest fear could be fear itself.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Mar 13th 2020 at 9:48 am.
Jon-Bxl is offline  
Old Mar 13th 2020, 10:10 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,439
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Corona virus

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl View Post
Hi Moses2013.

As I said I hadn't seen it corroborated. But it was after all, an official health ministry briefing to the police. It wasn't a 'myth'

However you are right to say that we should all take prevention measures wherever we are, now that the WHO has officially declared it as a Pandemic. Hand washing, self isolation to avoid contact with others ... especially the elderly or those with existing medical conditions. Etc etc. I personally am very happy with the plans being made in the UK, generally in this difficult time.

I remain positive for myself, and even if I get it, I am luckily not in the highest risk group. I hope therefore to recover fully. (Famous last words )

However if you have elderly family or friends with existing medical conditions, of course you should be very concerned.

A danger in these remarkable times, with all sorts of info coming in from ALL the media etc, is that panic ensures. Your article is great, and serves as a good reminder. However it feels it must also answer questions eg around UV lamps, hot baths, chlorine etc etc

As a politician said recently, the biggest fear could be fear itself.

Jon
As you say, we can only stay positive and this is only what the WHO say, so I would assume they know best:-) There is a lot of panic out there and also a lot of false information (social media etc.)
Moses2013 is offline  
Old Mar 13th 2020, 5:42 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
 
maverik's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2019
Location: Zürich Area, CH
Posts: 29
maverik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Corona virus

Thx for the info, guys !!!!

Since lots of us are planning to come over in the next few weeks, I would very much appreciate it if you keep us posted what is going on in the community. Overhere in CH, everybody is going nuts. Restaurants are getting closed, trains are getting cancelled, even borders get closed.
Keep us posted what is going on so we can make our decicion on coming over based on some local information. Thx and enjoy your stay

Mav,
maverik is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2020, 9:56 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 85
Margaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really nice
Default Re: Corona virus

Originally Posted by maverik View Post
Thx for the info, guys !!!!

Since lots of us are planning to come over in the next few weeks, I would very much appreciate it if you keep us posted what is going on in the community. Overhere in CH, everybody is going nuts. Restaurants are getting closed, trains are getting cancelled, even borders get closed.
Keep us posted what is going on so we can make our decicion on coming over based on some local information. Thx and enjoy your stay

Mav,
Starting to hit here now, a couple of restaurants have shut till further notice, closed the beaches.
Just back from Mercadona, there for 9 o clock opening, large queue waiting for shutters going up, no fresh milk or of course toilet roll, security guard at the tills, when I came out at 9.30 car park full.

Derek.
Margaret and Derek is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2020, 10:04 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 65
ElizabethAnn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Corona virus

Hi Everyone, I'm risking a post here so please don't jump on me for anything I say... We are in Ayamonte and yesterday we went to the Market - no evidence of anything different but it was very busy and very well stocked with fruit, vegetables, fish, meat and bread. No evidence of any shortages. We went to Portugal to visit a friend in the afternoon and again, the Algarve was busy as usual and no evidence of anything unusual and no activity at the Border. However, our friend had been to Lidl in VRSA and said there was evidence of 'stocking up' shopping with no meat on the Fridges as all and lots of low stock. We returned to Ayamonte late afternoon and shopped at Lidl where again there was very low stock of many fresh items. Fresh meat, fish, fruit and vegetables, milk and juices were all very low. However, we have no idea if this is a supply issue, a staffing issue or customers stocking up. The above I have seen for myself.

Friends on Facebook have said they observed that Ayamonte was very busy yesterday and there is some 'chatter' that Madrid-based holiday homers have headed for Ayamonte because they can 'work from home' and their kids are not at school. Remember, I'm just reporting ... There is also a 'rumour' that Portugal are contemplating 'closing the border' on Monday but I can find no evidence of this online and find it very difficult to believe this is a realistic possibility as so many people travel back and forth for work and other everyday activities.

If I get any further information from our friends in Portugal I'll post it here.

Stay safe and healthy.
ElizabethAnn is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2020, 10:16 am
  #8  
BE Positive
Thread Starter
 
Jon-Bxl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,665
Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Corona virus

Originally Posted by maverik View Post
Thx for the info, guys !!!!

Since lots of us are planning to come over in the next few weeks, I would very much appreciate it if you keep us posted what is going on in the community. Overhere in CH, everybody is going nuts. Restaurants are getting closed, trains are getting cancelled, even borders get closed.
Keep us posted what is going on so we can make our decicion on coming over based on some local information. Thx and enjoy your stay

Mav,
Hi Mav

Let me begin by saying that I am resigned to this - but feel we could be bordering on the verge of panic. However, I can also be cool about this - as I am luckily not in the high risk group. I am a handgel user for many years and follow a good regime as recommended by the governments.

Let me try and be as factual as I can.... without resorting to rumours.

We are in a sort of ' lock-down' on both sides of the border - starting this weekend.. Public gatherings stopped, schools, unis etc closed. Restos / bars closed totally like e.g El Paradise Beach club even the Vintage in town. More on the list. So are some beaches which seems weird to me. In PT there are either resto closures or limited numbers allowed. The Golf Club has handgel on the bar and the staff all in gloves. Yesterday there was a scare that the bridge would also be closed (from a good source) .... it wasn't, we went there to check, but there are rumours that they will close it soon. I stress rumours. I will see a PT police officer friend today and ask him. Note I think it is more than a rumour that many Madrid residents will come here to escape the big city in lock-down - so this may be the cause of increased protection.

I sent a message to a friend today that I attach below to save retyping..

If I were you I would watch this space closely and consider flying into Seville vs Faro regarding rental car return AND access to CE. The bridge closure (a possibility) is my biggest concern actually, see below:

Jon

We had a discussion recently. Is it better to stay here, where infection rates are small (CURRENTLY) and there are some beds available at the hospitals (CURRENTLY). Low population density, lots of fresh air etc.

Or fly back as planned, upping the risk of catching it on the plane. Some are bound to have it. And then going to the big densely packed city, Brussels, full of foreign nationals, like myself, eg Italians in the nearby EU. Many of whom fly a lot.

The BH feels better being in locked-down in Belgium (vs locked-down in ES/PT) where the BE medical facilities (CURRENTLY) are better, even though she agrees that the chances of getting it due to travel and location are greater.

But no-one has enough intensive care beds should the numbers continue to explode and people need specialist respiratory treatment.

Also I wonder if there is a Spanish person needing care vs a visitor from another country, who will get the priority when (IF) things get rough?

The flights are changeable, but if they close the bridge we will not be able to get out of Spain and the car rental co's are notorious for huge excess charges for late return. So we are considering options. Perhaps dumping the car early and paying taxis to/from the airport.

We are not in the high risk group, even if we get it 80% of us low-riskers will only get mild symptoms.


Santé !! ����

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Mar 14th 2020 at 10:52 am.
Jon-Bxl is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2020, 10:20 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 65
ElizabethAnn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Corona virus

Portugal Resident - This publication might provide information as it becomes available and is published in English: https://www.portugalresident.com/aut...ugal-resident/
There is an article beginning, "Portugal is prepared to close its frontiers... " published 9th March 2020
https://www.portugalresident.com/cov...ugal-round-up/


ElizabethAnn is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2020, 11:42 am
  #10  
BE Positive
Thread Starter
 
Jon-Bxl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,665
Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Corona virus

Just heard GC just closed.... Good source.....

Also on s personal front.... lookingl like our flights to Brussels may be cancelled!!

Jon
Jon-Bxl is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2020, 11:58 am
  #11  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 29
teflon will become famous soon enoughteflon will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Corona virus

Hi Jon, Thanks for all the very valuable information. Looks as if our holiday home is not going to be used too much this year.
Hope you get home alright, keep safe.
teflon is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2020, 1:42 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 9
enri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Corona virus

[img]blob:https://britishexpats.com/73ef3277-e299-4e91-be4a-1da3adc65ed2[/img]
enri is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2020, 3:07 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 1
Avila11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Corona virus

Thank you all for the interesting and useful points. However may I make a plea for careful use of special abbreviations. For example what does PT mean? Portugal, Platinum, Physical training? And GC, golf club, Guadiana Crossing? And CH, Switzerland, Cats Home? I'm sure that the correspondents will claim that in the context all is clear, but maybe my context is not yours.
Anyway, good luck and KBO.
Avila11 is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2020, 4:06 pm
  #14  
BE Positive
Thread Starter
 
Jon-Bxl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,665
Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Corona virus

Originally Posted by Avila11 View Post
Thank you all for the interesting and useful points. However may I make a plea for careful use of special abbreviations. For example what does PT mean? Portugal, Platinum, Physical training? And GC, golf club, Guadiana Crossing? And CH, Switzerland, Cats Home? I'm sure that the correspondents will claim that in the context all is clear, but maybe my context is not yours.
Anyway, good luck and KBO.
Hi Avila

As a newbie on the forum I can understand that the abbreviations may be confusing. Of course us 'old *arts' that have been posting for years use abbreviations, as you would do after posting many times.

I ask you to understand that and then try and use your knowledge in context of the post.

In fact its clear that you already know this. Every example you gave was correct... you guessed it. There is no other translation - in context - than

PT = Portugal. You got it right. No way PT = Platinum..... or the rest of the idea you worked out.
CH cant be anything else than Switzerland - you got that as well. No way CH = cats home.

GC.. you got a good one there.... yes it could be Guardiana Crossing.

How much time did you spend looking for other explanations for the acronyms, when its clear that you have already sussed most of it.

This is the first time in years that I have seen this feedback. People that post do it to help and advise people and ..... ask questions for help and advice.. They put some effort into it - and it seems that you are also prepared to do the same. But I ask you to use your experience to figure out new stuff ... As you have done really well already.

Sorry that you are disappointed. I look forward to seeing your helpful and informative posts, now that you have joined the forum

Jon

From CE = Creative Experience




Jon-Bxl is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2020, 4:11 pm
  #15  
BE Positive
Thread Starter
 
Jon-Bxl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,665
Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Corona virus

Originally Posted by teflon View Post
Hi Jon, Thanks for all the very valuable information. Looks as if our holiday home is not going to be used too much this year.
Hope you get home alright, keep safe.
We went for lunch today in Portugal, the bridge was empty. In fact we can see the bridge from our place, and we didn't see any traffic and thought that the bridge might have been closed.

We got over really quickly - especially considering it is half closed for works.

No real traffic in PT, once there. And when we ate, sadly the resto was pretty empty but we had great service... and a huge Dourada for 2 for 18Eur!

Its really tough for the businesses - its not their fault - but if we aren't self isolating for health reasons.... we can have great service!

Jon
Jon-Bxl is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.