Corona virus

Old Aug 14th 2020, 10:42 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Corona virus

One huge difference is that if a person comes in contact with a smoker or an obese person they are not contagious.

Rosemary
Old Aug 15th 2020, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rosemary
One huge difference is that if a person comes in contact with a smoker or an obese person they are not contagious.

Rosemary
Good Morning
This article was in yesterdays Telegraph
The region of Galicia has bought in a de facto ban on smoking in outdoor public places in an attempt to reduce the transmission of Covid-19 .It seems other regional governments are concidering following suit including Andalusia.
Chris
Old Aug 15th 2020, 7:01 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Possibly not but it does put the number of covid deaths in perspective, something that seems to have been ignored by the press.
Smoking and Obesity are not illnesses but lifestyle choices and resources should be spent on education in these areas. There is a strong case to make cigarette smoking illegal. However, as is often the case, too many vested interests for that to happen.
It actually really doesn't correlate at all.

Until such times as a fully tested vaccine is freely available we have got to live with covid. Of course take sensible precautions but we cannot just lock down. That will have far greater consequences on the population.
We actually really need to get to grips with a new norm and stop pushing for that which is no more just because we wish the return to a status quo that has only really existed a few decades. Start looking forward and outward. Manage expectations . Adapt . The old world view is no more.

Old Aug 15th 2020, 7:06 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
You make some very good points Jon.
1. Can I just add to your list of insurances - vehicle insurance. We are booked on a ferry to Santander on 1st September. The ferry will still go so we could travel to Spain at our own risk, and we probably would but all insurances except EHIC will be invalid including car insurance. This would mean that any traffico can stop any car with UK plates and give a slam dunk "no insurance" ticket and hefty fine (in the UK they confiscate the car, not sure about Spain). We could fly I suppose but the current trend in Spain and the rumours are that there could be another lockdown there . Too risky..

2..The number of 'cases' is the wrong measure. Case numbers are bound to go up because of better track and trace and growing self awareness (unfortunately not a common trait in the brits !). The key number is the number of deaths. It may sound a bit morbid but that's really the only relevant number. I know I bang on about herd immunity (supplemented by strategic vaccination) but it is really going to be the new normal in the end. So we need non-lethal cases to go up as it means that immunity is beginning to spread. Trying to stop increase is a bit futile as the genie is well out of the bottle. Mind you I can picture Boris as Canute trying to hold back the tide
​​​​

Hi Mike. Wow good point about vehicle insurance! We really can't plan anything these days!

I suppose that you can rent a car in PT with the x-border card to Spain and are properly insured. But if there becomes any differences in the travel restrictions between the countries as this virus proceeds, the same problems you highlight re UK could be replicated there. Also,I have an annual insurance policy from the UK to cover most extras in case of a rental car claim. This allows me to deny the local insurance from the rentalco ...... I suppose that is not valid either! Aaaargh!!

Reading the small print becomes vital now! Ditch the magnifying glass, and bring out the microscope!

I agree about the number of cases, but wanted to point out that this is what the governments use as a trigger to make decisions, also as I mentioned, that these odds are low and the %death rate makes it even lower. I think it's crazy to stop travel or implement strict quarantine to/from countries whose cases- percentage is lower than ours, now that the virus has a foothold everywhere. Foreign travel restrictions were more valid when we were virus-free.

There is a huge economic impact ... And it shifts the focus from the local problems. After all the UK has an unenviable record internationally awful even Vs other developed countries.

Jon
Old Aug 15th 2020, 7:06 am
`

Originally Posted by chrismortley
Good Morning
This article was in yesterdays Telegraph
The region of Galicia has bought in a de facto ban on smoking in outdoor public places in an attempt to reduce the transmission of Covid-19 .It seems other regional governments are concidering following suit including Andalusia.
Chris
If one plumes breath out into the atmosphere without thought then that seems eminently sensible. It is not about the foul habit . It is about the expelling and inhaling of air. That is what you are stating - yes?

Curtail your own emission from within. Be cautious of emissions from without.

= sensible.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 7:11 am
`

Y. I know I bang on about herd immunity (supplemented by strategic vaccination) but it is really going to be the new normal in the end.
Herd Immunity? It is a corona virus !
Old Aug 15th 2020, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary

Rosemary
There is passive smoking of course, however I do understand the point you are making.
I was just using the statistics to show the number of covid deaths compared with other causes of death. The press would have you believe its the biggest killer.
In an earlier post I did point out that in the last couple of months flu has been a bigger killer than covid in the UK and pthat is also a virus.
I just think that the press is sensationalising Covid. Probably rightfully at the beginning of the pandemic but not now.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 10:16 am
BE enaround

Dellaph Kite is an unknown quantity at this point

You make some very good points Jon.
1. Can I just add to your list of insurances - vehicle insurance. We are booked on a ferry to Santander on 1st September. The ferry will still go so we could travel to Spain at our own risk, and we probably would but all insurances except EHIC will be invalid including car insurance. This would mean that any traffico can stop any car with UK plates and give a slam dunk "no insurance" ticket and hefty fine (in the UK they confiscate the car, not sure about Spain). We could fly I suppose but the current trend in Spain and the rumours are that there could be another lockdown there . Too risky..
To say all motor insurance is invalidated is inaccurate.. For example, note the following: "Freddy Macnamara of flexible car insurance provider Cuvva said: “Driving abroad in a country where FCO advice is against all but essential travel shouldn’t invalidate your comprehensive motor insurance policy. It’s very unlikely that insurers will include restrictions of this nature in their policies.

“However, policy wording does differ from one insurer to the next. To be on the safe side, if you’re planning to travel abroad by car, best would be to contact your insurance provider ahead to let them know you’re driving abroad during the coronavirus outbreak and confirm that it won’t affect your policy"

We are looking at the options but if UK travellers are not in fact banned from travelling through France and /or Spain we still hope to drive down soon. Anyway, I wonder if 'essential travel' includes preservation of sanity!?
Old Aug 15th 2020, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

It's all very well to say that the vunerable should be shielded so the rest of the population can go about their business as usual, but do you think that is fair?
Everybody has a responsibility to keep the virus controlled. I certainly (if classed as vunerable or perhaps over a certain age) do not want to be quarantined at home for an unforeseeable future while looking out my window at everyone else outside having a normal life.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 12:48 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toots sweet
It's all very well to say that the vunerable should be shielded so the rest of the population can go about their business as usual, but do you think that is fair?
Everybody has a responsibility to keep the virus controlled. I certainly (if classed as vunerable or perhaps over a certain age) do not want to be quarantined at home for an unforeseeable future while looking out my window at everyone else outside having a normal life.
Totally agree with you. Also this mindset does not take into account the fact that 15 to 35 year olds make up a large percentage of the newer cases.

Rosemary
Old Aug 15th 2020, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
If one plumes breath out into the atmosphere without thought then that seems eminently sensible. It is not about the foul habit . It is about the expelling and inhaling of air. That is what you are stating - yes?

Curtail your own emission from within. Be cautious of emissions from without.

= sensible.
It's actually about the fact that you cant smoke with a mask on - so smokers are not wearing masks.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dellaph Kite
To say all motor insurance is invalidated is inaccurate.. For example, note the following: "Freddy Macnamara of flexible car insurance provider Cuvva said: “Driving abroad in a country where FCO advice is against all but essential travel shouldn’t invalidate your comprehensive motor insurance policy. It’s very unlikely that insurers will include restrictions of this nature in their policies.

“However, policy wording does differ from one insurer to the next. To be on the safe side, if you’re planning to travel abroad by car, best would be to contact your insurance provider ahead to let them know you’re driving abroad during the coronavirus outbreak and confirm that it won’t affect your policy"

We are looking at the options but if UK travellers are not in fact banned from travelling through France and /or Spain we still hope to drive down soon. Anyway, I wonder if 'essential travel' includes preservation of sanity!?
I did, in fact, check with my insurer and was told in no uncertain terms that this was the case.
Old Aug 15th 2020, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

There's nothing very fair about this virus! But the evidence is that the vulnerable and elderly are far far more likely to have a bad outcome. But, keeping everybody locked up to protect the vulnerable is equally unfair.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

NO

By all means advise us but do not force us because that is undemocratic.

I in my 70's was theoretically forced to stay indoors but my wife in her late 60's was allowed to go out .

However she due to a condition diagnosed at the beginning of the lockdown required treatment only available to her in Spain which allowed me to take her across the border daily.

I was not allowed to shop locally in Morrisons Gibraltar but could do so in Mercadona / Lidl etc in Spain.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 7:26 am
BE enaround

Dellaph Kite is an unknown quantity at this point

I did, in fact, check with my insurer and was told in no uncertain terms that this was the case.
Fortunately, having checked with LV our car insurance is completely unaffected so you are unlucky. If anyone is concerned a simple online query should suffice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.