Corona virus

Old Mar 16th 2020, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Corona virus

Hope not.I booked my return crossing with Britt ferries yesterday pm(originally on Pont Aven)
Old Mar 16th 2020, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Martin mc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the updates. Been in Esuri since Saturday and, up to now, not had much difficulty getting supplies in Portugal and Spain. Just hope they don't cancel my flight next Saturday back to Liverpool.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Thomas Bern has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Bern has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Bern has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Bern has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Bern has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Bern has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Bern has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Bern has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Bern has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Bern has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Bern has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
I apologize for the somewhat harsh message, but necessary in this situation.

Maybe I misunderstood something, but it was with amazement that I read the comments in posts (#15, #20, and #25)) in this thread, where it was written

We are going to try and go to PT today, they have more shops open on Sundays. To buy some of the basics. We are happy to go to the smaller corner shops/Spar etc to give the local owners some revenue, even if it costs a few Bob more. Maybe saving queuing time too. Maybe a nice lunch, as it could be a while before we eat out.

I am speculating here, but I would fully understand the PT government closing the border for day trippers. With us virtually under 'house arrest' here, they have every right IMO to stop the 'bored' neighbours across the border just popping across to use the bars, restos, shops etc.

Holland has recently had this problem when Belgium 'locked down' and neighbours just nipped across the border to try and continue a 'normal' lifestyle... Whilst the locals were under increased threat as a result. So after tomorrow I think we might see some controls, that I would fully understand.

I want to apologize to Jon for using his posts as an example as I know other people who have done the same and for same reasons, but I do not understand nor accept those reasoning’s; which are
- Knowing that the border will be closed to restrict the virus to spread and taking that as an excuse/possibility to still visit the other side before the closure; and more for convenience and pleasure more than necessity.
- Being well aware of the current virus situation and admitting to understand the upcoming restrictions, but still going over.
- Admitting that it might put the locals (as the Belgium example) on the other side “under increased threat as a result”.
- Thinking that, as they themselves are not in the “risk group”, no harm is done.
- Thinking that as we do not yet have confirmed cases here that we would be somehow isolated from the virus.

It only takes one to take it over to the other side; and it only takes one to take it back from there to this side. There are quite a lot of people there too.
Maybe some of us are not in the risk group, but we might have friends or meet people who are?

As an extra “spice” there is the rumor of Madrid/Seville people escaping/coming to work from home here.
We are NOT isolated or safe and only by taking this very seriously and showing good example we have a chance to minimize the consequences.

So let´s show a good example and follow the instructions, recommendations and avoid all unnecessary actions that might have a negative impact.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
A very well informed site that I follow BF Enthusiasts posted today that the Pont Avon has now entered lockdown and seems only to take freight if it sails at all. The rest of the BF fleet also seems to be taking freight only. Spain and France seem not to be connected to U.K. by car ferry after this weekend. Search BF site for further info.

Dont know if the Channel Tunnel will still take cars.
We use it regularly and get updates. As of this evening Monday it is business as usual. However Macron is expected to make an announcement tonight imposing 5 week total lockdown from Wednesday. Andrew Neil has tweeted 'Best get going early Wednesday' He lives in France.
Old Mar 17th 2020, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

BarbCPT is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Corona virus

Hi has anyone tried going into town, mercadona etc. Wondering what the drill is.
Old Mar 17th 2020, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BarbCPT
Hi has anyone tried going into town, mercadona etc. Wondering what the drill is.

I went yesterday to the bank and Lidl. No issue
Old Mar 17th 2020, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Martin mc is an unknown quantity at this point

My Daughter-in-law has just been to the Mercadona. Shelves were well stocked no problems.
Old Mar 17th 2020, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guesswork
I went yesterday to the bank and Lidl. No issue
That’s my planned trip for tomorrow!
Old Mar 18th 2020, 9:17 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thomas Bern
Hi all,
I apologize for the somewhat harsh message, but necessary in this situation.

So let´s show a good example and follow the instructions, recommendations and avoid all unnecessary actions that might have a negative impact.
Firstly Tervetuloa, Thomas and Tarja to Esuri and eventually Isla Canela and our community, welcome. There are wonderful people on this site always willing to help, as you found regarding your need for car servicing. In fact we are so active as a group that the moderators gave us our own local sub forum, the Ayamonte Club, the only one on the whole Spain section, I think.

Secondly thank you for your feedback, we all have a right to question others opinions and actions, and I appreciate the courtesy you showed in your post. It's not always the case that we have civilised debate on the forum!

I totally understand that you feel it is 'necessary' to state your concerns about this global problem. Everyone should be concerned, but some are in fear and some in panic. There is a huge mix of reaction and emotion to this problem.

However I would, respectfully, disagree with you.

My comments were supportive of the people who were annoyed about cross border travel from lockdown countries, as you noted. However I spoke to two business owners who were annoyed that the custom had significantly dropped. A different reaction, in the mix.

The restaurant we ate at was empty - normally heaving at the weekends. There was another couple and a table of four. We were well isolated. The supermarket had only a side door open, here we were given gloves and all the fresh food isles were taped off. The staff all in special clothing, masks and gloves. We had to ask for the fresh food, they handled it, and passed it over at arm's length, to me also at arm's length. We had to leave by another side door. They are intelligent people, they were prepared.

We flew in a month ago, at a time where there was no infection in the area. We feel airports and flights are riskier places to be. However, In that time (well over 14 days) we have shown no symptoms whatsoever. The comments about Madrid were confirmed by good sources, including a government official, a 3 generation Ayamonte family and others. And why not, if they have a holiday home here in the fresh air away from the cloying city come here to quarantine!

We are not trained virologists, so what do we do? We follow government advice. They have fully trained professionals advising them. At the time the advice was that travel to Portugal was OK. So we went. We spend more time in PT than ES normally anyway. For sure the business owners appreciated that we came. With the exception of the restaurant we were food shopping, allowable in Spain even now.

Sorry to disagree, but I would do the same again even after your feedback... Certainly as the lock down was coming and we would be quarantined at home anyway. The only people at risk were ourselves.

So how should we 'normal people' respond with so much advice out there. Yes one option is to take the lowest common denominator. I don't.

In Spain, Italy and (today) Belgium we have total lockdown. I accept that.

In the UK, my country, you can go out, walk in the parks etc, meet socially - but are advised to take caution. I accept that.

In the USA where they have an enviable organisation, the CDC, you are asked to restrict social gatherings to 10 people. BTW In Finland, your country, PM Sanna Marin recently adopted the same 10 person rule on Monday, and the restrictions are not as severe as in ES/PT. I accept that. You can walk in the parks, sauna together, eat a Makkara cooked on the stones, and if no police are looking, wash it down with Kilju!! ( After splashing a little on the stones)

I don't think I was selfish to go to Portugal when I was freely and legally allowed to. And welcomed by the businesses. If my return flight is not cancelled, is it selfish that I return? Going to Portugal, mixing with people at the airports and the flight.. means I am doing it at a time when it is now legally not acceptable to go out and mix with people. By your argument I should stay here.

Thank you again for your feedback, we all have to decide how we act in these times, in our own way. With the mix of reaction out there, there is more than one way. As long as it is allowable and we are cautious and respectful of the rules and advice and follow the law. I will accept that I am not so strict as some people, as I personally am not in fear for myself and my partner. I would never want to infect other people, and last weekend, out of respect we all cancelled 2 social events, with friends 7-9 people, each, none of us had symptoms.

However, I am very concerned for the people I know in the high risk group.

Kiitos and Santé

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Mar 18th 2020 at 9:35 am.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

BILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your concern John...
Old Mar 18th 2020, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

SteveandCathy is an unknown quantity at this point

I seem to remember we listened to the 'Experts' on the Millennium Bug and CJD, that worked ok costly and a total scare. Here's betting this bad flu has the same outcome!.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 3:19 pm
jmw
Just Joined

jmw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl

In the UK, my country, you can go out, walk in the parks etc, meet socially - but are advised to take caution. I accept that.
Jon,

May I clarify one point from here in the UK - whilst it is still permitted to do the things you indicate, there is very strong government advice to the contrary. If you go out to exercise you are advised to keep a safe distance from others. With regard to meeting socially, the government advice is do not have visitors in your home and do not go to other people's homes. Stay away from Pubs, Clubs, Restaurants, Theatres and Cinemas. Most theatres and cinemas have now closed and there is a long list of cancelled events in my local paper each evening.

Whilst you are 100% correct to say it is permitted, it has very quickly become "not acceptable" by the vast majority of people. A relative of mine works in a coffee shop in the centre of a usually very busy town. They had only four customers since opening 8.30am until around lunchtime.

John.

Old Mar 18th 2020, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Thomas Bern has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Bern has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Bern has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Bern has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Bern has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Bern has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Bern has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Bern has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Bern has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Bern has a reputation beyond reputeThomas Bern has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your response, and while we still disagree, I think having this discussion can be useful to anyone reading this because we are talking about a pandemic, a global epidemic that affects all of us and in all areas of our lives. Like this everyone can make their own judgement and decisions.

My view is simply taking a proactive personal responsibility based on the information I have got. It means that even if I have no symptoms nor belong to the risk group and chances are 99% that I would not be at risk nor risk spreading the virus, the 1% makes me follow the recommendations regardless if they are still legally allowed.

One of the main reasons for my steep stance was an article I read in early March about how people who had no symptoms still carried and spread the virus. I couldn't find it again, but below are excerpts from another article and a link to it.
------------------------------------------------------
Infected people without symptoms might be driving the spread of coronavirus more than we realized.

"Until you really understand how many people are asymptomatic and asymptomatically passing the virus on, we think it's better for the entire American public to know that the risk of serious illness may be low, but they could be potentially spreading the virus to others.

"That's why we're asking every American to take personal responsibility to prevent that spread."

-------------------------------------------------------

Here´s the link to the whole story https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/14/h...ead/index.html

Finally, we are all worried and we are fighting something that is new and even the scientists do not yet know what is going to happen and what are the right things to do. My views are based on the information I have read. As an outspoken person I often have disagreements even with my friends; but we are still friends. Same goes here. This is not personal, it´s the things that disagree.

Thomas
Old Mar 18th 2020, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Boris just gave his daily chat and when asked if he would lock down towns and cities he replied "We can rule nothing out"

I've no doubt we in the UK will go into lockdown before long. I'm only going out for essential now, I have lung issues and am not looking forward to going down with this virus.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Ex Adeladie is on a distinguished road

This is an appeal from the Ayamonte Interesa Facebook Page

"¡¡¡PAY ATTENTION!!!Please, people who have come from other places in Spain or from other countries, on vacation or to second homes in Costa Esuri, Isla Canela or Punta del Moral, we remind you that we are in an emergency situation, AYAMONTE is confined in his SOLIDARITY houses, this is not a joke, it is very serious, it is very important that we stay at home. It is not time for children to play in the garden areas, it is time to be at home. We will be extremely grateful if you comply with the rules of this alarm situation. Thanks for your cooperation".

Today in the town, there have been Local Police with broadcasting from their cars that anyone found outside will be accompanied back to their homes.

I think one of the reasons that the pressure is increasing to comply with the State of Alarm is that the Spanish press is reporting entire care homes being killed by the virus, nobody wants this repeated in Ayamonte.

14 Elderly people killed by the virus in a nursing home in Tomelloso

8 Dead and 45 infected in care home in Vitoria

19 Dead in Care Home in Madrid

You, as I, may not fall in to the "at risk" category, but many of the local population are, or have relatives that are at risk. You may well think that this is just a bad case of flu, but please spare a thought to those who are worried that they may lose their loved ones. I urge everyone to comply with the conditions of the State of Alarm, if only for our standing within the Ayamonte community.

Stay safe and well.

Last edited by Ex Adeladie; Mar 18th 2020 at 6:50 pm. Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.