Corona virus

Old Mar 14th 2020, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

maverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Corona virus

Thx Jon,

Things are changing every minute now and they are not getting better. The latest news is that everything in Spain goes on a " Chinese Lockdown". I think Portugal will follow soon . We will cancel our trip , will miss the food , sun and see and hope it will get better soon . Hope you get out there in time.
Greetz,

Mav
Old Mar 14th 2020, 5:55 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maverik
Thx Jon,

Things are changing every minute now and they are not getting better. The latest news is that everything in Spain goes on a " Chinese Lockdown". I think Portugal will follow soon . We will cancel our trip , will miss the food , sun and see and hope it will get better soon . Hope you get out there in time.
Greetz,

Mav

Looks like we are here for a bit...

pretty Draconian stuff!

I'm digging a tunnel to the nearest Wetherspoons!!!

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Mar 14th 2020 at 5:59 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Went over to Monte G this morning for my physio no probs. Called at Pingo on the way no probs quick in an out. Called at Corvo on the way back had to wait outside with numbered ticket for a few mins then about 12 of us were allowed in collected rest of shopping then home again very quick not much traffic. Lots of walkers on the east course.
Bill went over later this afternoon and a GNR roadblock had been imposed at the customs area he was stopped told them he was going shopping and they waved him through no stops on his return. Movement is possible within the rules posted by Michael earlier.

Do not forget your PASSPORT and DRIVING LICENCE if stopped they will ask and woe betide you if you have left them at home.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

ElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to behold

Recent information:
Restrictions to Come Into Force Monday 16th March
Old Mar 15th 2020, 8:10 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

We are going to try and go to PT today, they have more shops open on Sundays. To buy some of the basics. We are happy to go to the smaller corner shops/Spar etc to give the local owners some revenue, even if it costs a few Bob more. Maybe saving queuing time too. Maybe a nice lunch, as it could be a while before we eat out.

I am speculating here, but I would fully understand the PT government closing the border for day trippers. With us virtually under 'house arrest' here, they have every right IMO to stop the 'bored' neighbours across the border just popping across to use the bars, restos, shops etc.

Holland has recently had this problem when Belgium 'locked down' and neighbours just nipped across the border to try and continue a 'normal' lifestyle... Whilst the locals were under increased threat as a result. So after tomorrow I think we might see some controls, that I would fully understand.

In the case of border controls, if we can leave on a Faro-flight I hope that (and expect) the PT authorities will allow us through on presentation of a boarding pass. I am on the case to extend the car rental period without the huge penalties they can charge for late return.

Not expecting flight delays I didn't bring much backup of my medications, so will chat with my doc to see if there's a way to get prescription medicine abroad. Luckily Spain is more flexible than Belgium.
​​​​
To be 'safe' I'm keeping some utility bills in the car in case we return from PT and need to explain why we are going into ES. Just in case.

Let's hope for good weather, so we can at least sit out on the terrace. With Netflix, I expect a period of couch-potato mode! My STAR is already 'in the Ascension' ( Star Trek Absorption Rate)

Jon

PS Make sure that you always carry national ID or passport when leaving home. Even popping down to the shops.

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Mar 15th 2020 at 8:20 am.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
Just popping in from the Portugal group.
Re Post 17 ( no 3). Returning to place of habitual residence. How are you reading this? Will I be able to cross into and drive through Spain to get home to UK or do you think we will be turned back(are they checking at border crossings). Also the problem of the UK govt advising against all travel to Spain.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

ElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to behold

IMO you will be able to travel across border to return to your home country - driving or flying.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 10:18 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by toots sweet
Hello,
Re Post 17 ( no 3). Returning to place of habitual residence. How are you reading this? Will I be able to cross into and drive through Spain to get home to UK or do you think we will be turned back(are they checking at border crossings). Also the problem of the UK govt advising against all travel to Spain.
Good question these are unusual times, no-one really has experience of all thess worldwide strategies to combat this virus.

It makes sense to me that if you have a good reason and can back it up, they will let you through.... Its implied in the rules I posted at least, but cant guarantee 100%. The rules start tomorrow for Spain, and I haven't seen checks, personally yet, having had trouble-free travel to/from PT yesterday. And hoping again today.

I also support (and expect) that PT will respond to this, to stop unlimited day trips in as a result of this Spanish initiative. But again I am not 100% sure of that.

I don't have a whole bunch of concerns for myself with all this, but I do have close friends that are in the high risk group - and that is troubling.

Jon
Old Mar 15th 2020, 11:08 am
BE Positive

With all the shortages in the shops, the ingenious Spanish have come up with a novel way of rationing

See attached for a bit of fun

Attached Files
File Type: mp4
Spanish response to virus.mp4 (2.35 MB, 280 views)
Old Mar 15th 2020, 6:00 pm
BE Positive

HI its now 18:45 in CE.

We went to PT today for lunch.... no problems on the border.

However before crossing the border, we were curious to see the shop. It was open but the terrace was clear.. no chairs. So they were following the new law. Only for food.

Then after lunch (another story) we went to the supermarket CORVO in Castro Marim to pick up stuff for the 'lock down'. BTW that's another story in itself. Fantastic. With all that they are doing to protect their staff and customers. But something Ive never seen. If you haven't been in yet, and can go.... try it..... see it for yourselves.

Coming back there were many police officers on the PT side stopping all traffic.... I suspect border closure isn't far away.

We returned ... then realised we forgot fresh bread. We live in ME... and decided to pick up bread at the shop.

We were stopped by the police on the road... with no other person there.... telling us to go home. I explained that we were going for food (100% honest - AND acceptable with the new rules) but they told us it was closed and we had to return. I actually posted the new rules, thinking it started at 8am tomorrow. But....Its already in place.

We immediately obeyed, of course, they carried on and went the wrong way around the roundabout, towards Encinas... Busy to get us off the road.....

Weird... NO CRITICISM for the young officers, they were doing their job.

We're OK we have beans on toast, washed down with some Alentejo wine

Jon

Old Mar 15th 2020, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

The Esuri Shop is open from 11am to 3pm
Old Mar 15th 2020, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

BILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond repute

The same two local police ,Stopped and fined a Spanish jogger outside gate four Vista Esurie. They told him to return to his home, He gave them a bit of lip so they fined him.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

BILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond repute

The border is closing tomorrow.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

limey610 is on a distinguished road

It is closed to all but trade vehicles, people who can prove they are working on the PT side or going to the airport.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toots sweet
Hello,
A very well informed site that I follow BF Enthusiasts posted today that the Pont Avon has now entered lockdown and seems only to take freight if it sails at all. The rest of the BF fleet also seems to be taking freight only. Spain and France seem not to be connected to U.K. by car ferry after this weekend. Search BF site for further info.

Dont know if the Channel Tunnel will still take cars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.