Reload this Page >

Car Hire Options

Car Hire Options

Old Jun 10th 2016, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

George & Rosalia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Hire Options

Hi Guys,

I hope to be in Ayamonte from late July to the beginning of September. As you might expect car hire through the normal car hire sites is very expensive even for economy cars - €1,500 without excess insurance. Any ideas on other alternatives?

George
Old Jun 10th 2016, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all
Default Re: Car Hire Options

The problem may be that most cheaper car hire companies have a limit of 30 days. Have you looked at swapping the car half way through? Or booking for only 30 days and then asking if they will extend?
Old Jun 10th 2016, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

I fear you may have left it a little late to book for such a long period in peak season, however my cousin did exactly the same thing a couple of years ago and ended up bkg direct with Travelrent by emailing them. I believe she always books direct now. Not sure about the insce excess though. I prefer the security of ECH. Hope that helps.
Old Jun 11th 2016, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the tips guys, I will give both options a try,

George
Old Jun 11th 2016, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

Also, excess insurance: consider an annual policy. We pay just under £40 which covers as many trips as we want.
Old Jun 11th 2016, 8:59 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath Las Colinas
Also, excess insurance: consider an annual policy. We pay just under £40 which covers as many trips as we want.
Hi George

Here is a copy of a mail I sent to a friend recently:

Note that the insurance that Kath recommends (as I do) is based on the length of stay, and multiple trips. We have the 60 day policy that you will probably need for your dates:

Jon

Here is the one I use most of the time.
https://www.economycarhire.com/ you pay in Sterling

or I also compare with
Rental Cars . EconomyCarRentals In Euros

Remember to add the cost of Spain border card and (if required) additional driver (I make a little spreadsheet to compare companies.) Sometimes these are free.

For our next rental I went with the second one - it was for once cheaper.. all inclusive it was 392Eur for 38 days rental. Which I think is a fantastic price for the high season.

I also use this company for an ANNUAL car insurance cover Car Hire Excess Insurance | insurance4carhire.com

A years cover is often the price of 1 rentals additional insurance at the car rental company. Most companies will give insurance but there may be a 1000Eur 'franchise'. When you rent you are asked if you want this and it can add a lot of cost. With this insurance policy I can refuse the extras and am covered for up to 60 days each rental (as many as I want in a year). There is also a cheaper 30 day policy. I use my Belgian address and even though its a UK company. In the event of a problem, I pay get a receipt and claim it back from the insurance company. If you are renting only occasionally then perhaps it is cheaper with the car rental company.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Fred R will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi George

Here is a copy of a mail I sent to a friend recently:

Note that the insurance that Kath recommends (as I do) is based on the length of stay, and multiple trips. We have the 60 day policy that you will probably need for your dates:

Jon

Here is the one I use most of the time.
https://www.economycarhire.com/ you pay in Sterling

or I also compare with
Rental Cars . EconomyCarRentals In Euros

Remember to add the cost of Spain border card and (if required) additional driver (I make a little spreadsheet to compare companies.) Sometimes these are free.

For our next rental I went with the second one - it was for once cheaper.. all inclusive it was 392Eur for 38 days rental. Which I think is a fantastic price for the high season.

I also use this company for an ANNUAL car insurance cover Car Hire Excess Insurance | insurance4carhire.com

A years cover is often the price of 1 rentals additional insurance at the car rental company. Most companies will give insurance but there may be a 1000Eur 'franchise'. When you rent you are asked if you want this and it can add a lot of cost. With this insurance policy I can refuse the extras and am covered for up to 60 days each rental (as many as I want in a year). There is also a cheaper 30 day policy. I use my Belgian address and even though its a UK company. In the event of a problem, I pay get a receipt and claim it back from the insurance company. If you are renting only occasionally then perhaps it is cheaper with the car rental company.
Also, most car excess insurance policies will also cover damage to locks, roof, tyres and undercarriage - car rental company insurance doesn't usually cover these.
Old Aug 11th 2016, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

nileo is an unknown quantity at this point

very useful info, I am trying to explore Isla canella area and Ayamonte for purchasing a property there and next time I will hire a car from Faro Airport, as initially there will be many short trips to the rea. any tips will be appreciated
Old Aug 11th 2016, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

i use ZipAuto (P4 carpark Faro Airport) book via their web site.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 6:45 am
Just Joined

nileo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Bitmanev
Old Aug 12th 2016, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

sorry, just see my typo; that should be ziTauto (auto type correction beats me) Zitauto Car Rental Portugal
Old Aug 12th 2016, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I've regularly used Drive 4 Fun and found them excellent {note I have no commercial relationship - just a customer}
Old Aug 12th 2016, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

JT01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I always use Drive4Fun, and highly recommend then, had a bad experience with RentAuto, and with ZitAuto I declined 3 cars in the space of 1 hour as the tyres were in a dreadful state.......
Old Aug 14th 2016, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to all posters for the information.

I contacted Travel Rent by email and they came in at under €1,000. When I picked the car up in P4 Faro it turned out to be a brand new Seat with only 27km on the clock.! I'm due to return it in early September but so far so good.

Best regards,
George