Car hire

Old Oct 15th 2020, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car hire

Originally Posted by MKABZ
Hi,
I have no idea who that is. Can you enlighten me please?
If they do shut the bridge, I guess we just have to look at other options for travelling.
The Portugal News reported this week that the PM of Portugal together with the PM of Spain have stated that the border will not be closed.
Social distancing is difficult in some of the narrow passageways in Ayamonte and the Spanish do not seem to understand personal space however recently there has been a distinct move to wear masks at all times and if you take personal responsibility for avoiding other pedestrians it all works fine. With regard to eating out which we do a lot Portugal seems to have cracked and Cacadores and one or two other places are excellent.
For a couple of really old codgers we feel safer on ESURI than anywhere else and we are in Ireland at the moment and due to go to England and Ireland for Christmas and New Years. Travel has been excellent but we do wear a mask and visor from leaving the car until we get into the car at the other end. Take responsibility for your safety and you should be fine.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Oct 15th 2020 at 4:54 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

There was a joint government meeting last week Both Spain and Portugal put out statements the borders would not be closing. If I can find the article I will share it
Old Oct 16th 2020, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

MKABZ is an unknown quantity at this point

That is excellent news about the bridge as Faro is the easiest option for travelling. However, with everything connected with Covid, you just have to make your choices and take your chances, as we know, government decisions can and do change.
Old Oct 16th 2020, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

MKABZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I may be wrong about Travelrent - it was some time since I used them.
Going by the Zest website, Travelrent are in the Airport car park.
Old Oct 16th 2020, 12:38 pm
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute

Good news about the bridge, sorry to have concerned folk with the wrong information.

Thanks for confirming that Travel Rent are still based at the Airport.

SO miss our Ayamonte holidays and home there .....like so many.

Stay safe folks
Old Oct 18th 2020, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MKABZ
Going by the Zest website, Travelrent are in the Airport car park.
yes, I used them last month and that's where they were.

We usually use Travelrent or Rentauto and book through Zest. One year I did manage to dent the car but although I did point it out on return (TR I think) he just shrugged and wasn't even bothered about it,
Old Oct 19th 2020, 6:28 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath Las Colinas
yes, I used them last month and that's where they were.

We usually use Travelrent or Rentauto and book through Zest. One year I did manage to dent the car but although I did point it out on return (TR I think) he just shrugged and wasn't even bothered about it,
Ever since they changed the name to Zest, I've found that the prices have risen. I've gotten better deals elsewhere virtually every time. In fact I even lost the loyalty discount as I didn't rent for 2 years so got no loyalty points with them. I just got better deals even with Zests 10% discount applied.

However once I had an ok price on Zest called them, and they kindly reactivated my loyalty discount.

With cv19 messing everything up, if you lose your Zest loyalty discount, calling them may help. They might be sympathetic to the fact that travel restrictions meant no rentals.

We always fly and rent a car at Faro, normally over several months a year. Sadly it may become a year or more till we can enjoy our place, the regions activities and of course meeting up with wonderful friends from our community on both sides of the border.

I've posted several times about the process I use, for car rental, if you are interested please search my posts to find them. Too long to repeat again.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Oct 19th 2020 at 6:31 am.