British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Ayamonte Club (https://britishexpats.com/forum/ayamonte-club-138/)
-   -   Car in Costa Esuri (https://britishexpats.com/forum/ayamonte-club-138/car-costa-esuri-934875/)

Idreamofjeanie Sep 17th 2020 6:30 pm

Car in Costa Esuri
 
Looking for advice on leaving a UK car here. We normally travel over with our own car for fairly long periods of time. We have been exploring the idea of bring over a car and leaving it here so we can fly over as and when.
Once Freedom of Movement ends we will not be able to stay for the length of time we currently do. However, the expense and long drive in bringing our own car will just not be viable.
We are not sure how we would get on for things like MOTs and whether this could be done in Spain and recognised in the UK by our insurance company.

Any advice would be gratefully welcomed.

Dxf Sep 17th 2020 8:13 pm

Re: Car in Costa Esuri
 
Hola

Short answer is "No you can't leave a UK car in Spain" - you could rematriculate it onto Spanish plates but that will cost. Consider not just the headlights, but also the rear lights have to be correct also.

Davexf

Jon-Bxl Sep 18th 2020 7:40 am

Re: Car in Costa Esuri
 

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 12911346)
Hola

Short answer is "No you can't leave a UK car in Spain" - you could rematriculate it onto Spanish plates but that will cost. Consider not just the headlights, but also the rear lights have to be correct also.

Davexf

Just a thought. Whilst I dont know the immatriculation rules, like Davedxf does, nor the comparative price of a car UK vs ES. If one sold the UK car converted the cash, could one get (roughly) get a Spanish car of a similar spec?. No immatriculation worries if it is the same, or even a little more expensive up front.

Every couple of years I look at buying a car for Spain, but so far haven't been able to justify it financially vs flying in, e.g picking up/dropping off a rental car at the airport, (vs taxi-ing home and back or eg long term parking) plus all the costs insurance, maintenance depreciation etc etc. There is also the additional 'hassle-factor' of it all. For example, when flying out, reducing hassle is a bonus. And dumping the car at the airport rentalco is a bonus for us.

This is based on our personal situation, of coming to Spain for several months in a 'normal year'. This year has cost even less, as we have basically not been able to visit. Each person has different requirements of course. Also I am not 'into' cars, so dont care about 'being seen' in a cheaper more basic car (with AC)

A mechanic friend told me that its a good idea to have someone take the car out reasonably regularly for a run, give the battery a charge, turn the engine over etc and for example replace the air in the tyres with nitrogen. (Leaving the car on one spot for a long time means one part of the tyre is compressed for a long time, and there might be a reaction. Nitrogen is reasonably inert, so these reactions are minimised).

Lets hope that we can emerge from this crisis soon, so we can 'pootle around' in our cheap rental car and visit the multitude of wonderful places around CE - most a short drive away.

Jon

bitmanev Sep 21st 2020 9:29 pm

Re: Car in Costa Esuri
 
Before the Brexit jazz a UK citizen could leave a UK car for max 6 months in any other EU country as long not being resident in that EU country. The vehicle could only be used to drive around as a tourist and not for work

EsuriJohn Sep 22nd 2020 2:39 am

Re: Car in Costa Esuri
 

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 12911346)
Hola

Short answer is "No you can't leave a UK car in Spain" - you could rematriculate it onto Spanish plates but that will cost. Consider not just the headlights, but also the rear lights have to be correct also.

Davexf

About 8-10 years ago I rematriculated my UK runabout onto Spanish plates using I think a cheat-sheet you had posted. Do you have an updated one for today? I now want to bring the family limo over after the fall out from Brexit. We will then have no ties to UK except our bank account which may be closed for us by the bank! Another unforeseen benefit of Brexit.

Around that time Fred also posted a link to a Hacienda page where you could look-up the current value of your car to get the Spanish value for first registration tax. Is such a page still available?

Dxf Sep 22nd 2020 7:22 am

Re: Car in Costa Esuri
 

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 12912868)
About 8-10 years ago I rematriculated my UK runabout onto Spanish plates using I think a cheat-sheet you had posted. Do you have an updated one for today? I now want to bring the family limo over after the fall out from Brexit. We will then have no ties to UK except our bank account which may be closed for us by the bank! Another unforeseen benefit of Brexit.

Around that time Fred also posted a link to a Hacienda page where you could look-up the current value of your car to get the Spanish value for first registration tax. Is such a page still available?

Hola,
Yes the "Cheat sheet" is still available although I personally haven't changed number plates for a few years. Car preparation.

Change to “left hand drive” style lights (both back and front), absolute necessity for a Spanish vehicle

Plus Check Tow Bar for homologation number, Check window coverings (stick on shading), tyres must be European, Roof rack, Sun roof, bull bars, gas heater / cooker in motorhomes.

Census Office for Volante de Empadronamiento

Escritura plus NIE Original and photocopy plus Passport and photocopy

Ficha Technical from Spanish Engineer

1st appointment NIE, need logbook, car handbook very useful for dimensions.

2nd appointment (two days later),

Or Manufacturers Certificate of European conformity

ITV (MOT test)

Need Log book, Volante, ficha technical reducida, NIE Original & photocopy (certificate of conformity if available).

Hacienda

Need all documentation from ITV, NIE, Volante (all need original and photocopy)

If not imported within 60 days of date of first issue of Empadronamiento then tax payable

Ayuntamiento

Need documentation from ITV, Ficha technical, volante de empadronamiento, NIE.

All require original and photocopy (Price depends on engine size).

Trafico Cadiz

Need Form from Trafico for “Cambio Matricular”, NIE, Volante de empadronamiento, Passport and copy, certified copy of V5 logbook, form 06 and hacienda copy, MOT pass certificate, Green MOT document, pink road tax form, ficha technical original, (all need original & photocopy)

Feel free to ask questions

Davexf

Jon-Bxl Sep 22nd 2020 7:53 am

Re: Car in Costa Esuri
 

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 12912899)
Hola,
Yes the "Cheat sheet" is still available although I personally haven't changed number plates for a few years. Car preparation.

Change to “left hand drive” style lights (both back and front), absolute necessity for a Spanish vehicle

Plus Check Tow Bar for homologation number, Check window coverings (stick on shading), tyres must be European, Roof rack, Sun roof, bull bars, gas heater / cooker in motorhomes.

Census Office for Volante de Empadronamiento

Escritura plus NIE Original and photocopy plus Passport and photocopy

Ficha Technical from Spanish Engineer

1st appointment NIE, need logbook, car handbook very useful for dimensions.

2nd appointment (two days later),

Or Manufacturers Certificate of European conformity

ITV (MOT test)

Need Log book, Volante, ficha technical reducida, NIE Original & photocopy (certificate of conformity if available).

Hacienda

Need all documentation from ITV, NIE, Volante (all need original and photocopy)

If not imported within 60 days of date of first issue of Empadronamiento then tax payable

Ayuntamiento

Need documentation from ITV, Ficha technical, volante de empadronamiento, NIE.

All require original and photocopy (Price depends on engine size).

Trafico Cadiz

Need Form from Trafico for “Cambio Matricular”, NIE, Volante de empadronamiento, Passport and copy, certified copy of V5 logbook, form 06 and hacienda copy, MOT pass certificate, Green MOT document, pink road tax form, ficha technical original, (all need original & photocopy)

Feel free to ask questions

Davexf

:goodpost:

As this is a few years old, its pre-Brexit. I'm guessing after 31.12.2020 there will be additional steps.

So to go back to my previous question please... Roughly can you get a similar car in Spain for about the same price as the UK please? New or used

I think if one is leaving a car there all year, its best to get a local car. No immatriculation problems and importantly, for safety, the steering wheel on the right ....... Errr correct side and all lights etc etc.

I'd bite the bullet - sell my UK car and buy a similar car in Spain, unless there is a huge price effect. Or if the car is getting on, use it as an opportunity to change, after all one has to change the car at some point.

Jon


Jon-Bxl Sep 22nd 2020 8:22 am

Re: Car in Costa Esuri
 

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 12912868)
... after the fall out from Brexit. We will then have no ties to UK except our bank account which may be closed for us by the bank! Another unforeseen benefit of Brexit.

Hi John, Good to hear you got back safely through all the borders to Spain. :)

Sorry to hear that there's 'fall out' for you next year. .

I've been an expat non UK resident for decades, but currently can't see any Brexit problems with all sorts of 'financial stuff' e.g UK bank accounts, pensions, savings + investments etc.

Of course it all depends on our personal circumstances

For me personally, the biggest issue would be if they change the Dual Tax Agreement (DTA) for pensions. If there are punitive rules implemented, I would sadly give up my bank account of 45 years, shift the savings etc. But its do-able, but I cant see it at the moment and am not concerned.

A punitive DTA change could hurt though. But we have DTA's with many non-EU countries, so shouldn't be Brexit related, and any changes would be telegraphed in advance.

Oh no... we could get bombarded by QROPS sellers again !!

Jon


Fred James Sep 23rd 2020 1:31 pm

Re: Car in Costa Esuri
 

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 12912868)
Around that time Fred also posted a link to a Hacienda page where you could look-up the current value of your car to get the Spanish value for first registration tax. Is such a page still available?

https://www.boe.es/buscar/act.php?id=BOE-A-2019-18749

Dxf Sep 23rd 2020 4:55 pm

Re: Car in Costa Esuri
 
Hola

A brand new car is often a lower spec and cheaper; A "nearly new" car doesn't loose as much depreciation in Spain as it does in the UK because there are not so many company cars being changed every three years.

An older used car used to be cheaper but the Plan PIVE (exchange an old car for a new one) changed all that and there are not the cheaper cars around that there used to be (but wait ten years and there might be LOL).

Davexf

Jon-Bxl Sep 24th 2020 6:24 am

Re: Car in Costa Esuri
 

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 12913453)
Hola

A brand new car is often a lower spec and cheaper; A "nearly new" car doesn't loose as much depreciation in Spain as it does in the UK because there are not so many company cars being changed every three years.

An older used car used to be cheaper but the Plan PIVE (exchange an old car for a new one) changed all that and there are not the cheaper cars around that there used to be (but wait ten years and there might be LOL).

Davexf

Thanks for that, interesting.
​​​​​
I don't mind a lower spec car. We have a 3-4 year old car packed with tech and gadgets a lot of which we just don't use. When we rent (several months a year) we go for the cheaper models and rarely miss any advanced features. For me I want AC, Cruise control, a reasonable sound system that I can plug in an MP3 or other with a headphone cable. As for the engine something that can cruise comfortably all day at about 10% above the speed limit. 4/5 doors. It doesn't even matter if there is no USB port, as I have a plug in power plug for the ciggie lighter.

It looks like selling the UK car and buying second hand in Spain, might be more expensive, but worth a check IMO. If you could get a deal it is worth it to save the hassles of immatriculation and have a safer car designed for the Spanish and most European roads. Worth it even if there is a reasonable cost difference. Certainly if buying new.

Thanks again, Jon


mikelincs Sep 24th 2020 8:51 am

Re: Car in Costa Esuri
 

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 12913716)
Thanks for that, interesting.
​​​​​
I don't mind a lower spec car. We have a 3-4 year old car packed with tech and gadgets a lot of which we just don't use. When we rent (several months a year) we go for the cheaper models and rarely miss any advanced features. For me I want AC, Cruise control, a reasonable sound system that I can plug in an MP3 or other with a headphone cable. As for the engine something that can cruise comfortably all day at about 10% above the speed limit. 4/5 doors. It doesn't even matter if there is no USB port, as I have a plug in power plug for the ciggie lighter.

It looks like selling the UK car and buying second hand in Spain, might be more expensive, but worth a check IMO. If you could get a deal it is worth it to save the hassles of immatriculation and have a safer car designed for the Spanish and most European roads. Worth it even if there is a reasonable cost difference. Certainly if buying new.

Thanks again, Jon

Personally, and this is based on driving both RHD and LHD cards in Europe, is at I would take a LHD car all the time, there are big advantages regarding view, car parks, maneuvering etc. General safety, a RHD car shouts non native and often a better target for thieves.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:38 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.