Builder wanted

Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Woodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant future
Default Builder wanted

Hi
We had some water ingress under either the asphalt or tiles during the heavy rains. We have had one quote but would welcome any recommended local people.
Many thanks Kim
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

dunc1962 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Builder wanted

Originally Posted by Woodzie
Hi
We had some water ingress under either the asphalt or tiles during the heavy rains. We have had one quote but would welcome any recommended local people.
Many thanks Kim
Hi, we have had same problems with water getting through to bedroom ceilings.They are directly under the tiled sun terrace.Went over last week to have a look and they have dried out well.We are pretty sure the water is getting through the gap between the tiled floor, and tiled upstand at the ends where the water outlets are. Try silicone sealer along the gap,we have done this and all seems o.k.(fingers crossed !) Hope it helps.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:43 am
Banned

Ayamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant future

There is a Scottish builder in Cartaya, Pete. His company is called Ayamoraluz if I remember rightly. He has done work for us in the past, reasonable and reliable. I will try and dig a number out for you.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

henny is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Many thanks Kim
Hi Kim,

We also have a problem with dampness and a crack appearing in the lounge ceiling, we have been onto our Insurance but they will not cover us, we are now also looking for a builder, if you find one, I would be very grateful if you could pass this information on to us. We have been told to make sure we let it dry out thoroughly before sealing which means waiting for the rains to pass, absolute monsoon weather when we were there at Christmas which meant placing a bucket under the lounge ceiling.
Meantime we are thinking of going over soon and taking a sealant with us.
Good luck with yours. Regards Gill.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Woodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant future

Thanks everyone for sharing your information. I have also had some private recommendations. I don't think sealant will do the trick as back in the Fadesa days this happened and Fadesa sent somebody to 'fix it', with the trusty silicone gun but that failed. Does it seem to be generally accepted that because of the situation with Matina Fadesa us householders have to forgo our 10 yr builders warranty. Is that what normally happens, the builder goes bust (or nearly) so hay ho sorry but thats it, we lose!! Is there no protection for home buyers in Spain?
Kim
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:26 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for sharing your information. I have also had some private recommendations. I don't think sealant will do the trick as back in the Fadesa days this happened and Fadesa sent somebody to 'fix it', with the trusty silicone gun but that failed. Does it seem to be generally accepted that because of the situation with Matina Fadesa us householders have to forgo our 10 yr builders warranty. Is that what normally happens, the builder goes bust (or nearly) so hay ho sorry but thats it, we lose!! Is there no protection for home buyers in Spain?
Kim
Silicone may be a 'quick fix' but won't last in the sun.

The real solution is to pull the tiles and waterproof the concrete by using the Spanish method of fibreglass and 'the red paint' (can't think of its name) then tile back over. Or simply waterproof on top of the tiles already there a then tile again.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

There should have been a waterproof membrane fitted between the tiles and the roof to stop any water getting in from the roof terraces. I would check that there is one there before you try any sealants.

You could try painting the whole terrace with caucho, which is a rubber based paint, there is so I'm told a "clear" version, so the tile colour would still be visable.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Chica is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ayamontino
There is a Scottish builder in Cartaya, Pete. His company is called Ayamoraluz if I remember rightly. He has done work for us in the past, reasonable and reliable. I will try and dig a number out for you.
Could you let me have his number too. We've been looking for a reliable builder for ages. We need lots of work done on our Finca. Thanks
Old Feb 5th 2010, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by henny
Hi Kim,

We also have a problem with dampness and a crack appearing in the lounge ceiling, we have been onto our Insurance but they will not cover us, we are now also looking for a builder, if you find one, I would be very grateful if you could pass this information on to us. We have been told to make sure we let it dry out thoroughly before sealing which means waiting for the rains to pass, absolute monsoon weather when we were there at Christmas which meant placing a bucket under the lounge ceiling.
Meantime we are thinking of going over soon and taking a sealant with us.
Good luck with yours. Regards Gill.
This really annoys me. Insurance companies saying no. People just accept it! I believe that you can appeal. And if it's a UK company threaten them with the insurance ombudsman. I don't know if there's any appeal process here.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:15 am
Just Joined

HARRY HILL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by angiescarr
This really annoys me. Insurance companies saying no. People just accept it! I believe that you can appeal. And if it's a UK company threaten them with the insurance ombudsman. I don't know if there's any appeal process here.
If any one can recommend a builder will you send me the number please as we have the same problems
H
Old Mar 16th 2010, 1:06 pm
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute

Hi .....we are in the same boat. I have been in touch with Pete and he is very busy so no joy there. We have also had another 2 people round to look at the roof top terrace but are not willing to do the work. The insurance say it is down to MF poor build and SL on this site, Loco and others have given me info however I think it would be a lot of effort to try the builders guarantee route with MF with probably no sucess. The excess to pay is, I believe a hefty sum. We have the loss adjustor going round this week and I am hoping they will accept some liability.......we'll see and I will let you know.

All the best

Mel
Old Mar 16th 2010, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MEL & JOHN
Hi .....we are in the same boat. I have been in touch with Pete and he is very busy so no joy there. We have also had another 2 people round to look at the roof top terrace but are not willing to do the work. The insurance say it is down to MF poor build and SL on this site, Loco and others have given me info however I think it would be a lot of effort to try the builders guarantee route with MF with probably no sucess. The excess to pay is, I believe a hefty sum. We have the loss adjustor going round this week and I am hoping they will accept some liability.......we'll see and I will let you know.

All the best

Mel
HI MEL
We are are located in Isla Canela Marina & our community as a whole are trying to get Isla Canela to repair the outside rendering to our block ( Marina 111)
I don't know if you ever venture down their but several of the blocks have large patches of rendering falling of ( the standing joke being is that they used the sand straight of the beach in the rendering)
Several communities have had surveyors reports & basically they all come to the same conclusion that the original construction was @ fault.
The apartment blocks are between 4 & 8 years old so one would think they would an insurance claim somewhere against someone for the repairs.
Think again, the parent company initially denied all responsibility & have begrudgingly come up with a one off token payment towards repairs.We have an EGM coming up & I believe we intend to sue the company for total compensation
It seem to me that this so called 10 year building guarantee is not worth the paper it's written on.
I know that you have building problems @ CE & that taking takeing legal action against them may be tricky because of the financial circumstances, but I will let you know how we get on
Hopefully I will be up there for a round of golf over Easter & having a few pints in Jag's if he is open
Regards
Chris
Old Mar 18th 2010, 3:14 pm
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Chris

How are you ?- good to "see" you again here. Thanks for your info and I agree re. the builders guarantee. I just want the roof to be made as leak proof as possible and appreciate that the rain recently has been exceptionally heavy and under normal circumstances the ingress of water to such an extent would probably not have occurred. I am surprised that it is so difficult to find builders, painters and decorators. With the lack of these type of people in the area seems to me some enterprising person with the right skills could be kept in work for a long, long time.

Take care

Mel

Originally Posted by chrismortley
HI MEL
We are are located in Isla Canela Marina & our community as a whole are trying to get Isla Canela to repair the outside rendering to our block ( Marina 111)
I don't know if you ever venture down their but several of the blocks have large patches of rendering falling of ( the standing joke being is that they used the sand straight of the beach in the rendering)
Several communities have had surveyors reports & basically they all come to the same conclusion that the original construction was @ fault.
The apartment blocks are between 4 & 8 years old so one would think they would an insurance claim somewhere against someone for the repairs.
Think again, the parent company initially denied all responsibility & have begrudgingly come up with a one off token payment towards repairs.We have an EGM coming up & I believe we intend to sue the company for total compensation
It seem to me that this so called 10 year building guarantee is not worth the paper it's written on.
I know that you have building problems @ CE & that taking takeing legal action against them may be tricky because of the financial circumstances, but I will let you know how we get on
Hopefully I will be up there for a round of golf over Easter & having a few pints in Jag's if he is open
Regards
Chris
Old Mar 19th 2010, 12:03 am
Banned

Ayamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant future

Sorry guys, not been around for a while, the only number I have for Pete does not work. But it looks like he is too busy anyway. Will try to enquire about another builder for you guys and let you know if I have any joy.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MEL & JOHN
Hiya Chris

How are you ?- good to "see" you again here. Thanks for your info and I agree re. the builders guarantee. I just want the roof to be made as leak proof as possible and appreciate that the rain recently has been exceptionally heavy and under normal circumstances the ingress of water to such an extent would probably not have occurred. I am surprised that it is so difficult to find builders, painters and decorators. With the lack of these type of people in the area seems to me some enterprising person with the right skills could be kept in work for a long, long time.

Take care

Mel
Hi Mel
I forgot to mention we had some water damage to a communal ceiling last year,the community initially paid for the repair but then claimed on our insurance,& as far as I am aware there wasn't any dispute over the claim