Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Boardwalk etc -Calle Muelle de Portugal.

Boardwalk etc -Calle Muelle de Portugal.

Old Mar 10th 2021, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Boardwalk etc -Calle Muelle de Portugal.

Hi Guys, I recall reading last year that work was to commence early January 21 on a Guadiana river frontage clean up to continue the new boardwalk that has been under construction since 2019. The plan as I recall involved demolishing tired old industrial buildings and gentrification with new bars / restos etc aimed at the tourist market. Sunsets with a glass would be fabulous overlooking the river !. I just wondered how it is getting on ? A report on progress would be interesting to all I believe. Hence, if any full time residents have passed that way recently - Is it progressing well or has Manana set in. I'm thinking that come September 21, I could be enjoying it all so long as flights and borders are open again ????? I live in hope.

Thanks... Keith.
Old Mar 10th 2021, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Margaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really nice
Default Re: Boardwalk etc -Calle Muelle de Portugal.

Originally Posted by keithBT
Hi Guys, I recall reading last year that work was to commence early January 21 on a Guadiana river frontage clean up to continue the new boardwalk that has been under construction since 2019. The plan as I recall involved demolishing tired old industrial buildings and gentrification with new bars / restos etc aimed at the tourist market. Sunsets with a glass would be fabulous overlooking the river !. I just wondered how it is getting on ? A report on progress would be interesting to all I believe. Hence, if any full time residents have passed that way recently - Is it progressing well or has Manana set in. I'm thinking that come September 21, I could be enjoying it all so long as flights and borders are open again ????? I live in hope.

Thanks... Keith.
It has been a bit stop start, but the last few weeks there has been quite a large squad working on it from the ferry terminal to the point. A lot of buildings demolished down the other end but not a lot happening construction wise. Looks like benches built in all the way along the bit that has been done so would think by September you could sit and watch the sun go down over Portugal, God willing.
Old Mar 10th 2021, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

I like the sound of "large squad". Sounds very promising. Thanks for the update...............keith
Old Mar 10th 2021, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Ex Adeladie is on a distinguished road

I'll be posting videos on Youtube next weekend. They will contain footage of both stage 1 and 2 of the Mira al Rio Projects. Hope this helps. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFJ...8acSq153f-mW8Q

There is lots happening :-)
Old Mar 11th 2021, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

WOW, someone must have a very good drone to take videos like that ! I'm really impressed by the clearance work going on. I had no idea the old industrial buildings were in such a poor state of repair, like half the roofs missing ! But then compared to the polygono buildings they don't really meet todays needs and access is poor for big lorries etc. I've always thought the area was an awful mess hence I'm so pleased to see the clearance going on. Strangely, VRSA opposite Ayamonte have exactly the same problem with derelict buildings north of the port area which are an eyesore as well.

I look forward to the update video this weekend. Thank you.
Old Mar 13th 2021, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

Wonder where the Ayamonte Council get the money from...
Old Mar 13th 2021, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bitmanev
Wonder where the Ayamonte Council get the money from...
According to the very large signage at various points the schemes are in accordance with the Andalucian coastal board supported by the EU. Similar to how it used to be in Cornwall who are now £700m short for their schemes still Boris has said he will make it up.
Old Mar 13th 2021, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Ayamonte town hall are in a serious amount of debt, No way could they afford the work currently underway. I understand the IBI bills on older town property is very very low. Of course us holiday homers on Esuri pay very very high to offset this, but for some reason no political party is willing to revalue Ayamonte town IBI bills to get out of the debt they have accrued over many years. Seems bonkers to me to be running such a high level of debt, but they have Manana syndrome !! Must be all that sun shine. ha,ha.
Old Mar 13th 2021, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithBT
The Ayamonte town hall are in a serious amount of debt, No way could they afford the work currently underway. I understand the IBI bills on older town property is very very low. Of course us holiday homers on Esuri pay very very high to offset this, but for some reason no political party is willing to revalue Ayamonte town IBI bills to get out of the debt they have accrued over many years. Seems bonkers to me to be running such a high level of debt, but they have Manana syndrome !! Must be all that sun shine. ha,ha.
No it’s the other way around there was a date set where the values of property was set to a new base CE was approved and constructed after that date. The older Ayamonte is still on the old valuations and the decision would be to reevaluate the older town properties. Not likely to happen until they are forced to do so.
We are also hit with EWC fees in addition to IBI so we take a double whammy.
Old Mar 14th 2021, 6:51 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ex Adeladie
I'll be posting videos on Youtube next weekend. They will contain footage of both stage 1 and 2 of the Mira al Rio Projects. Hope this helps. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFJ...8acSq153f-mW8Q

There is lots happening :-)
Excellent videos thank you! Made me nostalgic for Ayamonte, we simply can't wait to be able to get back. No 1 priority for us after getting our jabs + when we are allowed.

It was a year ago that we were in lockdown in Spain, with our airline grounded when we decided to return and cross the shut borders. That was a hellish trip, long layovers in Lisbon, and full flights etc. 19 hours of travel vs the normal 2.5!!

We are now day dreaming as to what we will first do on returning, high on the list is the new Behans (sp) gastro bar in CE... Lets hope they can open soon (along with so many others) and be able to profit from the high season.

Jon
Old Mar 14th 2021, 6:57 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
No it’s the other way around there was a date set where the values of property was set to a new base CE was approved and constructed after that date. The older Ayamonte is still on the old valuations and the decision would be to reevaluate the older town properties. Not likely to happen until they are forced to do so.
We are also hit with EWC fees in addition to IBI so we take a double whammy.
Thanks John,

​​​​​Raising bills to todays valuations would probably be political suicide during these times!

Do think this will have a big effect on the project? Im sure (err guessing) that the EU funding needed some commitment from the town/region, do you think these funds are set aside and can only be used for this project?

Let's hope so, though Keith's post makes sense to me, re funding

Jon
Old Mar 14th 2021, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Thanks John,

​​​​​Raising bills to todays valuations would probably be political suicide during these times!

Do think this will have a big effect on the project? Im sure (err guessing) that the EU funding needed some commitment from the town/region, do you think these funds are set aside and can only be used for this project?

Let's hope so, though Keith's post makes sense to me, re funding

Jon
I’m certain that the matching funding will have been allocated and ring fenced by the Communindad and the scheme is well underway at both ends however progress has been lumpy to say the least. On our visits to the Correos office we have noticed very slow steady progress on phase one mostly due to Covid but what we can see is looking very smart. On phase two it is very early days but in the last week an outstanding transformation has taken place. With typical disregard for road/health safety the length of the road into town fronting the old fish warehouses was half closed with two very casual flag men and the biggest tracked digger taking down all the haphazard fencing and bushes on the riverbank. Now when we head home from town the view up river as you turn from the fish dock is outstanding!
Old Mar 14th 2021, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl

We are now day dreaming as to what we will first do on returning, high on the list is the new Behans (sp) gastro bar in CE... Lets hope they can open soon (along with so many others) and be able to profit from the high season.

Jon
You will notice some change if you manage to get here in June. Corviran will very likely be open but Behans progress has been very slow and I wonder if they will make the summer season at all. There appear to be serious problems within the building and I have not seen much obvious activity for a couple of weeks. There is no movement on the Farmacia again I think due to problems with the building. The bank as owners of the building and the managers of the community seem to be taking no action to address the problems.

PS the one home two countries adage is gone for now and I do not see the bridge being opened for there and back for lunch before May and maybe later. We have not been to eat in Portugal for ages and we miss the freedom.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Mar 14th 2021 at 8:32 am.
Old Mar 14th 2021, 9:47 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
You will notice some change if you manage to get here in June. Corviran will very likely be open but Behans progress has been very slow and I wonder if they will make the summer season at all. There appear to be serious problems within the building and I have not seen much obvious activity for a couple of weeks. There is no movement on the Farmacia again I think due to problems with the building. The bank as owners of the building and the managers of the community seem to be taking no action to address the problems.

PS the one home two countries adage is gone for now and I do not see the bridge being opened for there and back for lunch before May and maybe later. We have not been to eat in Portugal for ages and we miss the freedom.
Hi John - thanks so much for the updates. Regarding Behans - that's not good news. Sadly, we have gotten so used to projects either failing being delayed or having huge problems over the years (decades!!). Also poor quality build, workmanship and planning is something we are (unfortunately) used to. For this one and the pharmacy, it doesn't sound like CV19 is the problem.

Regarding the Ayamonte riverwalk changes, I can understand delays due to CV19 but, at least, it's good news that the money is there and ring fenced. Also that Coviran is going well.

Re the borders - for some reason, I thought they were planned to be open from this weekend.

Once again, we must find patience.!!

I have no idea when we can come again. The borders have to be opened and we need to get our two jabs before we come. But in Belgium and a lot of the EU there isn't a firm plan. We have family + friends in their 80s and 90s, and also some in high risk groups that haven't been vaccinated yet! With no date scheduled. However the delay between the two jabs is currently 35 days. So I guess there's a possibility we might catch up a little bit with the UK. It could be wishful thinking that vaccination, border controls, vaccine passports etc etc all come together and we could come in June.

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Mar 14th 2021 at 9:52 am.
Old Mar 14th 2021, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The vaccination program in Spain is good and bad. I think they lead Europe in the two jab race and they have the short interval where that is three or for weeks. Locally they got on with the care homes and staff really quick then moved on to the 90 and then over 80 yr olds so we were expecting to be in the next cohort but then the plan changed and since schools were going back they did teachers and added front line workers such as GC, FIRE and ambulance staff. I think also Red Cross and support staff at the Salud. Whilst we would want to be done ASAP we feel relatively safe in splendid isolation here on the hill. It would be really good if we can be done by mid April and after the second get a VacPass to allow us to visit Leon not seen for over 8 months so far. UK Portugal flights are due to start again in a couple of weeks but don’t know what conditions will be attached. Up to now the way back to UK for those who need to go has been most convoluted with a few ferries still running but one case we know someone who works in London but also has duties in New York did the reverse of her trip here London-New York-Madrid-Sevilla just to get home to see mum after a year of covid lock down!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.