Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Bit of local advice needed

Bit of local advice needed

Old May 15th 2014, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

Vorsprung is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bit of local advice needed

I'm planning on travelling from Huelva to Lagos in mid June by public transport (dropping family off in Lagos, then Spanish hire car back to Huelva).

As far as I can see, there are 2 buses a day from Huelva to Lagos but I think I might just get a taxi to the train station in Vila Real de Santo Antonio, then get a train to Lagos (trains seem to be a bit more frequent).

Would anyone be able to give an estimate on how expensive such a journey might be? Are the Portuguese trains reliable?

Many thanks in advance
Old May 15th 2014, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Bit of local advice needed

Originally Posted by Vorsprung
I'm planning on travelling from Huelva to Lagos in mid June by public transport (dropping family off in Lagos, then Spanish hire car back to Huelva).

As far as I can see, there are 2 buses a day from Huelva to Lagos but I think I might just get a taxi to the train station in Vila Real de Santo Antonio, then get a train to Lagos (trains seem to be a bit more frequent).

Would anyone be able to give an estimate on how expensive such a journey might be? Are the Portuguese trains reliable?

Many thanks in advance
We have used the train from VRSTO to Faro and it was very cheap for OAP's don't know about the fares generally. It used to be once an hour from 05.00 but it is less frequent now they run till about 22.00 for return at VRSTO. We found it very reliable but the wrong kind of snow might cause a problem!
Old May 16th 2014, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all
Default Re: Bit of local advice needed

I have had a quick look on the website and the journey VRSA to Faro costs €5.20 and takes about an hour and 10 minutes. The trains aren't at regular times but seem to run about an hour and a half apart: eg there is one at 7.20, 9.05, 11.22 then 13.27. There are earlier and later but nothing in between.

To go from Faro to Lagos the fare is about €7.30 and takes about 1 hour and 40 minutes. The time table is given as VRSA to Faro and then from Faro to Lagos but some of the trains run straight through: eg it looks as if the ones at 9.05 and 11.22 do run straight through but the ones at 7.20 and 13.27 don't.

Hope this helps. I have never used the trains so don't know how reliable they are but hope to do so early next month as I am planning on a day trip to Faro.

Kath
Old May 16th 2014, 10:50 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Take a cushion, the trains are old and pretty decrepit.
The plan to electrify the network has been shlved due to lack of money.
Old May 18th 2014, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really nice

[QUOTE
I have never used the trains so don't know how reliable they are but hope to do so early next month as I am planning on a day trip to Faro.

Kath[/QUOTE]

We have used the trains and our experience is that they run exactly to time. Possibly because there are so few. But, as John says, don't know the impact of snow.
Old May 18th 2014, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

I hope that there won't be any snow in the first week in June but will keep my fingers crossed just in case.

Kath
Old May 19th 2014, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Vorsprung is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies.

Would anyone have an idea of the cost of a cab from Huelva to Vila Real de Santo Antonio, or an alternative frquent and cheap way of getting between the two places?
Old May 20th 2014, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Would anyone have an idea of the cost of a cab from Huelva to Vila Real de Santo Antonio, or an alternative frquent and cheap way of getting between the two places?

I have never tried a taxi but the bus costs €5.30 and takes an hour. It leaves Huelva at 9.00, 11.00, 13.00, 15.00 and 20.30.

You can then we'll from the bus station to the ferry (which I think in the summer is every half an hour on the half hour but in the winter is every hour on the hour) and then from the ferry to the train station.

Kath
Old May 20th 2014, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Vila Real to Ayamonte is about 22euro, Huelva is another 45 kms so its not going to be cheap

Call Esuri Taxis for a price 0034 663 420 120
Old May 20th 2014, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

It looks like it would have to be either:

1). The 9.00 am bus from Huelva arriving in Ayamonte at 10.00 to get the 10.30 ferry to VRSA and then the 11.22 train which goes straight through to Lagos arriving there at 14.25; or

2). The 1.00 pm bus arriving at Ayamonte at 2.00 pm and across the ferry at 2.30 for the train at 16.07 arriving at Lagos at 18.57.

Either journey will allow for a break in VRSA or in Ayamonte (with a later ferry) for a coffee or something to eat.

I think the ferry costs €1.80 so the total cost (excluding coffee) would be €19.60.

Good luck.

Kath
Old May 20th 2014, 7:30 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath and Ted
It looks like it would have to be either:

1). The 9.00 am bus from Huelva arriving in Ayamonte at 10.00 to get the 10.30 ferry to VRSA and then the 11.22 train which goes straight through to Lagos arriving there at 14.25; or

2). The 1.00 pm bus arriving at Ayamonte at 2.00 pm and across the ferry at 2.30 for the train at 16.07 arriving at Lagos at 18.57.

Either journey will allow for a break in VRSA or in Ayamonte (with a later ferry) for a coffee or something to eat.

I think the ferry costs €1.80 so the total cost (excluding coffee) would be €19.60.

Good luck.

Kath

Wow fantastic info - thanks!

If you are using the web for the timing/pricing info, please can you share the links?

Really useful! Thanks
Jon
Old May 20th 2014, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

OK, try these:

Trains:

http://www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do?v...c0RCRD&lang=en

In the middle of the page there is a part where you can open the timetables in PDF format. Click on 'regional' then 'Lagos/Vila Real do Santo Antonio/Lagos'.

Buses:

http://siu.cthu.es/es/horarios_linea...a.php?linea=66

I hope these work OK. And thanks to Louise for the bus link (or was it Thelma?)

Kath

Last edited by Kath Las Colinas; May 20th 2014 at 9:56 am.
Old May 20th 2014, 10:06 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath and Ted
OK, try these:

Trains:

http://www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do?v...c0RCRD&lang=en

In the middle of the page there is a part where you can open the timetables in PDF format. Click on 'regional' then 'Lagos/Vila Real do Santo Antonio/Lagos'.

Buses:

http://siu.cthu.es/es/horarios_linea...a.php?linea=66

I hope these work OK. And thanks to Louise for the bus link (or was it Thelma?)

Kath
Thanks Kath....

Jon
Old May 21st 2014, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the Portuguese bus company route Huelva-VRSA:

http://www.eva-bus.com/eva_2012/gen_...nt%F3nio&VAR=1

Don't forget the 1 HOUR TIME DIFFERENCE between Portugal and Spain.
Old May 22nd 2014, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

OK ... First prize to Carol for spotting the deliberate mistake.

The bus starts at Huelva so the timetable is in Spanish time ...

The train starts at VRSA which is in Portuguese time ... Which is an hour behind Spanish time!!!!!!! Yes thanks Carol, I have realised this. My excuse is that I was in Blighty at the time but now I am here I am working in real time.

So the options given in my previous post will still work but there will be an extra hour wait in between.

Here is a better link for the buses from Huelva to Ayamonte as the previous one only showed one line and this includes all lines:

http://siu.cthu.es/es/movil/horarios...da=2&vuelta=18

So to catch the 11.22 train you would still have to get the 9.00 bus but you could get a bus at 2.30 which would get you to Portugal for the 16.07 train.

I think that is right this time. I am sure my friend Louise will correct me if I am wrong (again).

Kath

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.