Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

bilingual school near ayamonte/costa esuri

bilingual school near ayamonte/costa esuri

Old Jul 7th 2015, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

neil77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bilingual school near ayamonte/costa esuri

Hello all, having now completed our purchase of a lovely place in costa esuri and in process of renovation, we are now looking to the future and actually moving down to reside in costa esuri, and cant wait. One of our major considerations is schools in the area for our now 10 year old daughter. I know there have been multiple threads on this subject already, but most are a few years old and none have the question I have. I understand there is a bilingual school in Lepe, is that correct? Is it still going and obviously is it any good?
Also, if anyone has recommendations for bilingual schools in the area or surrounding areas I would be most grateful. We are aware of the one in bella vista and have already made contact there, but wish to view all options available. It might be suggested to pop her into a local spanish school, but we have for our reasons ruled that option out for the moment.
Many thanks to anyone who can offer advice on this subject.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice
Default Re: bilingual school near ayamonte/costa esuri

At 10 years of age and unable to speak Spanish well enough to integrate in the local schools I would be looking at English speaking private schools following the English system. Your nearest would be in Portugal. Almancil I believe has one.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Thanks you for that Olivia, I had heard about that one and have heard mixed reports, but will be checking that out. My question was specific to if there is one in or near Lepe, as I have heard there is one, but cant seem to find out very accurate info on the internet.
But yes, I agree that english or bilingual schools are what we are looking for,, and yes, unfortunately, it will be the private system and not state :-(
Old Jul 9th 2015, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Luz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the rough

I tried, and failed, to find info on Lepe schools. But I did find this in Tavira:Colégio Santiago Internaciona
Old Jul 9th 2015, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by neil77
Thanks you for that Olivia, I had heard about that one and have heard mixed reports, but will be checking that out. My question was specific to if there is one in or near Lepe, as I have heard there is one, but cant seem to find out very accurate info on the internet.
But yes, I agree that english or bilingual schools are what we are looking for,, and yes, unfortunately, it will be the private system and not state :-(
You have to accept that lovely as Ayamonte is it doesn't offer much for non Spanish speakers. Someone will no doubt shout me down for saying this...
'I don't know of a single English child who has successfully completed their education in Ayamonte. I know of many heart breaking stories of children missing the grade and being held back 1.2. even 3 years eventually returning to their home country'. You will have to travel further. Much further for the quality of education you are expecting. There is an International School in Seville where there is an international work force around the aircraft industry. There are several around Faro. There are more expats there. Or If you have to leave the UK before your daughters education is complete why not find a nice boarding school in England for her?
Don't sacrifice her future for life in Ayamonte.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Jay218 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all, having now completed our purchase of a lovely place in costa esuri and in process of renovation, we are now looking to the future and actually moving down to reside in costa esuri, and cant wait. One of our major considerations is schools in the area for our now 10 year old daughter. I know there have been multiple threads on this subject already, but most are a few years old and none have the question I have. I understand there is a bilingual school in Lepe, is that correct? Is it still going and obviously is it any good?
Also, if anyone has recommendations for bilingual schools in the area or surrounding areas I would be most grateful. We are aware of the one in bella vista and have already made contact there, but wish to view all options available. It might be suggested to pop her into a local spanish school, but we have for our reasons ruled that option out for the moment.
Many thanks to anyone who can offer advice on this subject.
I believe that the Instituto (the secondary school) in Ayamonte is bilingual - or offers a bilingual stream - but only up to 16. At 16 they study the Bachillerato and this is in Spanish only. Your daughter may be a bit young at the moment but it is something to know for the future.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All,

Welcome to Costa Esuri, and the Ayamonte subforum.

I have no experience of doing such, but, from what I can read online, you'll need to get your skates on if you want to enrol your daughter for the 2015-2016 academic year in any state school (primary level). The deadline may have been back in March; however, further information from any of the schools on the Junta de Andalucía Consejería de Educación website must be made TODAY, as I understand the secretarial offices close for the summer holiday.

Do a google search with the keywords "Junta de Andalucía colégios concertados provincia Huelva" for starters. A colégio concertado is like grammar school, funded in part by the state.

To help you I've found a list of schools in the province of Huelva. State, private, and some are "concertado":
http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/educa...act.asp?pro=21

Also, if you do a search in "otros centros" for private foreign schools, you'll not find any in Huelva, but there are 3 in Seville province (2 being on this side, ie. west, of Seville):
Consejer�a de Educaci�n, Cultura y Deporte. Junta de Andaluc�a

The school that you mention in Lepe is called La Arboleda (mentioned in older threads from a few years back), and from what I can gather it is a "concertado" offering bilingual studies at secondary level, perhaps also primary, not sure. It is on the list above. I would guess pupils need to have a good command of spanish primarily.

Find out more and please come back and tell us.

More importantly, join CERA!!

Last edited by Carol&John; Jul 10th 2015 at 8:49 am.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: bilingual school near ayamonte/costa esuri

Originally Posted by olivia
You have to accept that lovely as Ayamonte is it doesn't offer much for non Spanish speakers. Someone will no doubt shout me down for saying this...
'I don't know of a single English child who has successfully completed their education in Ayamonte. I know of many heart breaking stories of children missing the grade and being held back 1.2. even 3 years eventually returning to their home country'. You will have to travel further. Much further for the quality of education you are expecting. There is an International School in Seville where there is an international work force around the aircraft industry. There are several around Faro. There are more expats there. Or If you have to leave the UK before your daughters education is complete why not find a nice boarding school in England for her?
Don't sacrifice her future for life in Ayamonte.
Strange that Olivia I know two English girls who are approaching the end of secondary school both are doing the Bacci both have their sights set on Sevilla Uni one for Arcitecture one for Radiology and I expect both to make it and do very well.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Luz Liver, we will look into that school you mentioned, but if that one is a bilingual school, we would rather she learns spanish rather than portugese. But very good of you to offer that advice.
Olivia, lots of suggestions there, thank you, boarding school is not something we're looking for. We have found a few bilingual schools nearer than seville, eg bella vista nr huelva. As Esuri John said, it is possible, depending on the child and what school is found, that some kids can excel in different circumstances, but thank you for your advice.
Jay218-thats good news and we will be look at that, thank you! She is 10 years old now and that would be ideal, near, bilingual and she would learn spanish whilst still being able to maintain studies in english. By the time she reaches 16 we would have her further education well investigated and decided on. thank you very much for that.
carol&John, thank you for that, but no rush, we're not moving down for a year or two!
But thank you so much for all that info, very kind of you, and Im going to hand the laptop over to my wife now to go through that lot!
We obviously intend to join cera, are you able to assist us with that?
thank you all for your suggestions and information. It never ceases to amaze me how helpful some people are, taking the time to help others, thank you.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: bilingual school near ayamonte/costa esuri

Thank you Luz Liver, we will look into that school you mentioned, but if that one is a bilingual school, we would rather she learns spanish rather than portugese. But very good of you to offer that advice.
Olivia, lots of suggestions there, thank you, boarding school is not something we're looking for. We have found a few bilingual schools nearer than seville, eg bella vista nr huelva. As Esuri John said, it is possible, depending on the child and what school is found, that some kids can excel in different circumstances, but thank you for your advice.
Jay218-thats good news and we will be look at that, thank you! She is 10 years old now and that would be ideal, near, bilingual and she would learn spanish whilst still being able to maintain studies in english. By the time she reaches 16 we would have her further education well investigated and decided on. thank you very much for that.
carol&John, thank you for that, but no rush, we're not moving down for a year or two!
But thank you so much for all that info, very kind of you, and Im going to hand the laptop over to my wife now to go through that lot!
thank you all for your suggestions and information. It never ceases to amaze me how helpful some people are, taking the time to help others, thank you.
The school at Bella Vista is very strongly "Catholic" part of the Spanish Opus Dai empire in Spain. I would look that up on wiki and seè if is really what you want for your daughter.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again Esuri John, thank you VERY much for that info, that rules that one out! I am aware of the organisation you mentioned!
Old Jul 12th 2015, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

CERA website is costaesuriresidents<dot>com with info on how to join. On FB also as both Juna Directiva Cera, and Costa Esuri Residents Association.
(I hope the BE mods allow this info as requested by OP. Thanks.)

neil77, you're welcome.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

Sorry Carol, you must have been suffering from a touch of the sun or something:

The CERA website address is: Costa Esuri Residents Association - Home
The one you gave is Mike Bailey's website; the difference is his has an 's' after the word 'resident'.

And, of course, on Facebook it is Junta Directiva CERA not Juna hahaha.

Other than that: spot on as usual.

Kx
Old Jul 13th 2015, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Wow, I really bombed on that information post!!
My apologies, no excuses, honestly. Good thing you're there, Thelma.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Jay218 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you aren't moving out for a couple of years then I would suggest, if you haven't already done so, to arrange tutoring for your daughter asap so that she has a good foundation before coming out. Changing schools is always difficult but add a different system and language to that.... At least if she can communicate with the teachers and other students it will be something. The people here are incredibly helpful but they do appreciate it when foreigners try to communicate in Spanish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.