Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

ADVICE FOR LOWER COST BANKING.

ADVICE FOR LOWER COST BANKING.

Old Jul 2nd 2020, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADVICE FOR LOWER COST BANKING.

Originally Posted by MikeJ
We were with Caixa for a few years after they bought Barclays SA. Hopeless customer service. We were on the Hola account, which seems to be their standard now. Eventually we switched to Sabadell (opposite the Tributaria off Laguna Sq. Very happy with their customer service, all tellers speak some English and a few are fluent.
I was with Barclays as well. I am not in Esuri, however you do get useful threads that apply to all parts of Spain.
I'm in Oliva and all the main banks are there. Was your transfer to Sabadell straightforward?
Old Jul 7th 2020, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really nice

We were with Caixa for a few years after they bought Barclays SA. Hopeless customer service. We were on the Hola account, which seems to be their standard now. Eventually we switched to Sabadell (opposite the Tributaria off Laguna Sq. Very happy with their customer service, all tellers speak some English and a few are fluent.
I’ve been with Sabadell for years but after selling our apartment the only direct debit I have is for the EUC charge on a plot we own. For the pleasure of servicing two direct debits (split payment whatever that is) a year, Sabadell are charging me around 120 eur a year. I’ve asked them if there is a more cost effective account but got nowhere. So if anyone has any Ideas on how I can get round this I’d love to hear it.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 5:33 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyS
I’ve been with Sabadell for years but after selling our apartment the only direct debit I have is for the EUC charge on a plot we own. For the pleasure of servicing two direct debits (split payment whatever that is) a year, Sabadell are charging me around 120 eur a year. I’ve asked them if there is a more cost effective account but got nowhere. So if anyone has any Ideas on how I can get round this I’d love to hear it.
Earlier on from post 2, we learned that you can check out the bill online and hence pay from the UK account. Just put a bi-annual reminder in the diary, perhaps?

Also, you have some good friends in CE, maybe for a lunch or charge, would do it for you? And you wire the £€ to them?

Much better than 120€ a year to those money-grubbing banks!

Good luck

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jul 8th 2020 at 5:37 am.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Earlier on from post 2, we learned that you can check out the bill online and hence pay from the UK account. Just put a bi-annual reminder in the diary, perhaps?

Also, you have some good friends in CE, maybe for a lunch or charge, would do it for you? And you wire the £€ to them?

Much better than 120€ a year to those money-grubbing banks!

Good luck

Jon
Hi Jon,
Thanks for the idea.That could be the solution.
Regards
Andy
Old Jul 9th 2020, 6:19 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyS
Hi Jon,
Thanks for the idea.That could be the solution.
Regards
Andy
I just saw this on the Spain thread.

I dont know if they do direct debits, but looks interesting

Foreign currency account

Jon
Old Jul 21st 2020, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

jean&john will become famous soon enoughjean&john will become famous soon enough

Hi Keith, there is an article on Andalucía.com entitled Bank account commission in Spain to be capped at €3 per month. It’s worth a read.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I remember that news about 3 euros a month early last year. I don't think it could have happened. I suspect the banks found a way of suppressing it. Their commission is money for old rope !!
Old Jul 21st 2020, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

jean&john will become famous soon enoughjean&john will become famous soon enough

Thought it sounded too good to be true, might try a Spanish on line bank as we only use our account for utility bills and local taxes,
unless anyone knows any pitfalls with online banking.
Old Jul 24th 2020, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithBT
Hi, I remember that news about 3 euros a month early last year. I don't think it could have happened. I suspect the banks found a way of suppressing it. Their commission is money for old rope !!
They had made a start before Covid. Many of the old boatsheds on the seaward side of the road had gone as had some of the old hulks which had been there for years, but work seemed to have slowed to 'manana' pace.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

They had made a start before Covid. Many of the old boatsheds on the seaward side of the road had gone as had some of the old hulks which had been there for years, but work seemed to have slowed to 'manana' pace.
I wondered where this had gone! Sorry. Posted in the wrong thread, should be in the Marina thread.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

I wondered where this had gone! Sorry. Posted in the wrong thread, should be in the Marina thread.
there was me thinking this was in response to the comment about money for old rope 🤣🤣
Old Jul 28th 2020, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

casey948 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jean&john
Thought it sounded too good to be true, might try a Spanish on line bank as we only use our account for utility bills and local taxes,
unless anyone knows any pitfalls with online banking.
As I mentioned in my earlier post (#11), I have used Bankinter on-line banking ever since I bought my house in Esuri 15 years ago. Never had any problems and their phone app is very good too. Their English help desk facility has also been very helpful in the past. The nearest physical branch is in Huelva.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info Casey, I may look into this.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Caixa and since the new charges my bank charges are around the 60 a quarter for a total monthly DDs of around 60a month. Robbery. I will have a look at Bankinter
Old Jul 31st 2020, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by del.Almendro
The village house we own in El Almendro is not subject to any community or intercommunity charges, nor do we have mains gas, so our situation is fairly simple to administer.

Giahsa, IBI, Tasas and car tax bills are all visible online and payable by UK credit card using sgth.es website. Leccy bill also online and payable by card. We are with CHC Energia. That's it essentially. The only ones we have to pay in cash over the bank counter are our annual Deemed Rental Income Taxes (modelo 210 form). Caja Rural in Ayamonte make no processing charge for this, despite us not having an account with them.

We pay insurance invoices direct to our Spanish broker by UK credit card (car, buildings, contents).

Hi,
Have sent you a PM.
Regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.