Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what about a Dutch meet ?

what about a Dutch meet ?

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:09 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future
Default Re: what about a Dutch meet ?

Originally Posted by furkew
jokes about people going to the toilet when it's their round must have come from Holland.
And when the calculator comes out at the end of the night to work out to the nearest cent who has to pay for what. Going Dutch to the extreme!

Best one I've personally experienced was when I was driving around and around trying to find somewhere to park on the streets in my neighbourhood, and I saw a couple in their car, but they were not getting out and locking up, nor were they driving off. After about 15 minutes of driving in circles (the price of living in the centre of Amsterdam) I decided to get out and ask them if they were planing on moving.

'we've paid for parking up to the hour, so we're going to use it' was my reply'...!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:17 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adriang
And when the calculator comes out at the end of the night to work out to the nearest cent who has to pay for what. Going Dutch to the extreme!

Best one I've personally experienced was when I was driving around and around trying to find somewhere to park on the streets in my neighbourhood, and I saw a couple in their car, but they were not getting out and locking up, nor were they driving off. After about 15 minutes of driving in circles (the price of living in the centre of Amsterdam) I decided to get out and ask them if they were planing on moving.

'we've paid for parking up to the hour, so we're going to use it' was my reply'...!
I can belive that.

I have lived here now for 19 years, and I do like the people very much. My wife is Dutch, which means a Dutch MIL. A bit batty, but a real nice person, but they do have some strange habits.

Even after 19 years, I can (and don't want to) fully understand their ways or get accepted by everyone. You might have seen , it but religion can make some people very strange, and the Dutch can be very religious in certain areas. :scared:
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:22 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

that also just reminded me, in our house it's always full of kids in / out / in / out.

they all get drinks, crisps, cookies or sweets.

We know a couple who are good friends of ours, where our children play, and sometimes they will be there all afternoon and not even get offered a glass of squash, and this while mum and dad walk around in designer clothing, have their own business, and are building two houses in the czech republic !! The kids always come back gagging !!

Tight is not the word.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

skyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud of

We are an English family currently living/working here and have been for 10yrs now but unfortunately Den Haag/Amsterdam is a bit to far for us.

Meds have been sent, just waiting on the dutch police checks to go so with a bit of luck should get the visa end of April.Then all we need to do is sell the house and Adelaide here we come. Check out www.singaporeair.nl flights are much cheaper from Schipol than from the UK. We will be saving over 500 quid for our family.

Regards,
Ian

I keep seeing posts from a number of expats in Holland, so is there any interest in an expats meeting in Holland?

I know that Rossifumi already has got his visa, but maybe he has time , and i'm sure there are a few still in the process, so if you live in clogland, and you fancy a meet (amsterdam or the Hague) let me know your thoughts.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:39 am
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by skyblue
We are an English family currently living/working here and have been for 10yrs now but unfortunately Den Haag/Amsterdam is a bit to far for us.

Meds have been sent, just waiting on the dutch police checks to go so with a bit of luck should get the visa end of April.Then all we need to do is sell the house and Adelaide here we come. Check out www.singaporeair.nl flights are much cheaper from Schipol than from the UK. We will be saving over 500 quid for our family.

Regards,
Ian
Hi Ian,

I am actually in Melbourne at the moment sussing things out. I flew with singapore airlines, and they where the cheapest at the time for me as well. Service excellent. When you book, you can also book your seats on the plane . You can do that on the net, to ensure good seats. Try to book well in advance and book by the exits (more leg room)

Where in Holland are you ?
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

skyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud of

Last couple of years we have lived in Bergen op Zoom but before that lived in Dordrecht for eight years.

You going alone or with a family and how long you been in Dykeworld ?

?
Hi Ian,

I am actually in Melbourne at the moment sussing things out. I flew with singapore airlines, and they where the cheapest at the time for me as well. Service excellent. When you book, you can also book your seats on the plane . You can do that on the net, to ensure good seats. Try to book well in advance and book by the exits (more leg room)

Where in Holland are you ?
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:53 am

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Just waiting on the dutch police checks to go so with a bit of luck should get the visa end of April
Even with Christmas and New Years, I got my Dutch police checks done in about 3 weeks. I sent them to my CO, and she asked me for an English translation which I thought was quite ironic considering they were in both Dutch and English!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

not got an agent done it all ourselves, presumed the police checks come back in dutch and we have to have them translated/certified?

Even with Christmas and New Years, I got my Dutch police checks done in about 3 weeks. I sent them to my CO, and she asked me for an English translation which I thought was quite ironic considering they were in both Dutch and English!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:59 am
Going for a ride

Last couple of years we have lived in Bergen op Zoom but before that lived in Dordrecht for eight years.

?
19 years :scared:

I will be going with wife and my 2 boys. (7 & 10)

I live myself in Den Haag (Ypenburg)

I do like it where I live, but it's when I leave our estate that things start to go downhill.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 9:01 am
Going for a ride

thats a good point. I wonder if I am listed for twatting a young guy for driving 70 in our street instead of 30 on new years eve in 2004
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

we were gonna move to Voorburg some yrs ago as the mrs was working in den haag at the time but think we would of struggled to afford the type of house that we needed.

We have 3 girls and a son who is 9yrs old.

19 years :scared:

I will be going with wife and my 2 boys. (7 & 10)

I live myself in Den Haag (Ypenburg)

I do like it where I live, but it's when I leave our estate that things start to go downhill.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 9:13 am
Going for a ride

?
Bergen op zoom is definitely a better choice than Voorburg. At least you have some space there, Here it's just one big city nowadays. Delft/Rijswijk/Voorburg/Den Haag/scheveningen etc. no green / no space. Just one town merging into the next.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 11:13 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

but do you eat the banana afterwards ?
only if it's got cream...
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 2:41 pm

not got an agent done it all ourselves, presumed the police checks come back in dutch and we have to have them translated/certified?
No, they are also in English. As far as I know, they are acceptible. I'm expceting to hear any day now.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ransi
only if it's got cream...
It does, and that's the joke.

Just as 'the victim' goes for a bite, the girlie sticks his face in all of the cream. One of my mates, (BTW who was over from Sydney), got caught, and he has a beard, so was complaining for the rest of the evening. One of the funniest nights out in my life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.