Job Agencies

Old May 17th 2016, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Pete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job Agencies

Hi,

I wonder have others had the experience of arriving in Aus and looking for un-skilled work through job agencies? I have not been in the job market for a while whilst in the UK and wonder is the thing to do simply turn up at their offices with a c.v. or should one go about it in another way? Is a c.v. sufficient or would they be looking for more before considering putting a newly arrived migrant forward for a role? Hoping someone can advise.
Old May 18th 2016, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Croker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Agencies

I haven't used an agency, Pete, I tend to use Seek.com.au, as well as specific places such as the Victorian Public Service job vacancies website. I've been living in Melbourne since October 2015 and I'm finding it tough to get anything. I was really unlucky as earlier this year, I got all the way to a second (and final) interview for a public service job, on the same salary I was on in the UK...and then didn't get it. That was a real blow. They took on 3 people in the same role as well, so I must have been about the only one who they didn't hire!

When applying for a job on Seek or similar, I've tended to include a cover letter and CV, and - if I feel it necessary - a document explaining that I have the right to work in Australia, as the spouse of an Australian citizen.

I may change my mind but I've avoided job agencies at the moment, as in the UK they've always struck me as places that treat their job-seekers like spaghetti, i.e. keep flinging them at the wall to see if they stick. They always seemed to just send people off to different companies almost at random. They also always seemed to provide very short-term work, a week here, a week there. Admittedly, it's good to be working if you're unemployed, but I'm looking for something a little longer term and don't want to be bouncing between random offices in Melbourne on a weekly basis.

I'm sure a phone call to any of the major agencies (e.g. Hays) would fill you in on what they require; they might not even need you to go in person, just email a CV and a few details to them. They'd be the best people to ask, though.

Sorry I can't be of more specific help in this instance, but good luck to you.
Old May 18th 2016, 3:02 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pete39
is the thing to do simply turn up at their offices with a c.v. or should one go about it in another way?
I would've thought they'd prefer to receive your details electronically, then invite you in for a chat.
Old May 18th 2016, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I would've thought they'd prefer to receive your details electronically, then invite you in for a chat.
Me too. I wouldn't dream of just showing up at the door.
Old May 18th 2016, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any right way? I'd advise to use any means at disposal. I certainly found agencies in general a joke years ago being agents of false hope and time wasters.

Some gave the appearance of collecting CV's for their own purpose especially 'substantial' ones. Seek, I believe has a number of ghost jobs listed. Not sure what else to call them as any number are no longer vacant (if ever where) (some places of course recruited internally, but policy dictated outside appearance to recruit required)
I personally worked for an organisation that did as much. Pity the poor job hunters going to so much trouble to present a stand out resume, without knowing they had next to no chance.

By far the best is personal recommendation and knowing the right people. That can't be stressed too much.
Old May 18th 2016, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Pete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Croker
I haven't used an agency, Pete, I tend to use Seek.com.au, as well as specific places such as the Victorian Public Service job vacancies website. I've been living in Melbourne since October 2015 and I'm finding it tough to get anything. I was really unlucky as earlier this year, I got all the way to a second (and final) interview for a public service job, on the same salary I was on in the UK...and then didn't get it. That was a real blow. They took on 3 people in the same role as well, so I must have been about the only one who they didn't hire!

When applying for a job on Seek or similar, I've tended to include a cover letter and CV, and - if I feel it necessary - a document explaining that I have the right to work in Australia, as the spouse of an Australian citizen.

I may change my mind but I've avoided job agencies at the moment, as in the UK they've always struck me as places that treat their job-seekers like spaghetti, i.e. keep flinging them at the wall to see if they stick. They always seemed to just send people off to different companies almost at random. They also always seemed to provide very short-term work, a week here, a week there. Admittedly, it's good to be working if you're unemployed, but I'm looking for something a little longer term and don't want to be bouncing between random offices in Melbourne on a weekly basis.

I'm sure a phone call to any of the major agencies (e.g. Hays) would fill you in on what they require; they might not even need you to go in person, just email a CV and a few details to them. They'd be the best people to ask, though.

Thanks for the reply and sorry to hear that you are not having some luck finding something. May I ask if you do not mind, have you been searching for something very specific i.e. a continuation of the role that you had in the UK or are you at the point of taking anything long term as long as it pays the bills?
Old May 18th 2016, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Croker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply and sorry to hear that you are not having some luck finding something. May I ask if you do not mind, have you been searching for something very specific i.e. a continuation of the role that you had in the UK or are you at the point of taking anything long term as long as it pays the bills?
No worries, happy to help. As for your question, no, I don't mind, and it's very much the latter of the two! I worked in immigration in the UK, and I knew that it was Australian citizens only in Border Force over here, so I was already aware that I wouldn't be doing the same role. That said, I did initially concentrate on the public sector, to make the best use of my experience.

I had what seemed like some really good luck initially, getting so close to a public sector job, but not much since then, sadly. There are of course other elements of the public sector besides Border Force that have the same restrictions (i.e. you must be a permanent resident/citizen to get certain jobs), but I was surprised to see those restrictions in some private sector jobs, too.

At this point, I'm looking for any reasonable full-time vacancy that I believe I can make a go of.
Old May 18th 2016, 11:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

No worries, happy to help. As for your question, no, I don't mind, and it's very much the latter of the two! I worked in immigration in the UK, and I knew that it was Australian citizens only in Border Force over here, so I was already aware that I wouldn't be doing the same role. That said, I did initially concentrate on the public sector, to make the best use of my experience.

I had what seemed like some really good luck initially, getting so close to a public sector job, but not much since then, sadly. There are of course other elements of the public sector besides Border Force that have the same restrictions (i.e. you must be a permanent resident/citizen to get certain jobs), but I was surprised to see those restrictions in some private sector jobs, too.

At this point, I'm looking for any reasonable full-time vacancy that I believe I can make a go of.
Hi scouse I'm sure you've already thought of this, but just in case.. As well as State and Federal government jobs, have you explored local council jobs? Just asking because I was in local government management for 15 years and the skills you'd have acquired in the UK would translate really well to local councils.

People who've worked in a political environment, who have a good understanding of public office accountability and governance issues, and who are used to working within (and reporting against) specific legislation, policies and procedures are very well regarded. Best of luck in your search
Old May 18th 2016, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi scouse I'm sure you've already thought of this, but just in case.. As well as State and Federal government jobs, have you explored local council jobs? Just asking because I was in local government management for 15 years and the skills you'd have acquired in the UK would translate really well to local councils.

People who've worked in a political environment, who have a good understanding of public office accountability and governance issues, and who are used to working within (and reporting against) specific legislation, policies and procedures are very well regarded. Best of luck in your search
G'day, Spouse of Scouse Cheers for the tip. I have looked at council jobs on occasion, but I do occasionally forget by the time I've gone through Seek, the VPS vacancy website, and so on! I do remember checking the City of Stonnington website early in my search, and the only job available was for a lollipop man, hahahahahaha!

How are you settling into the UK? You're on the Wirral, aren't you? Not the real deal, but close, eh?
Old May 18th 2016, 12:03 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

G'day, Spouse of Scouse Cheers for the tip. I have looked at council jobs on occasion, but I do occasionally forget by the time I've gone through Seek, the VPS vacancy website, and so on! I do remember checking the City of Stonnington website early in my search, and the only job available was for a lollipop man, hahahahahaha!

How are you settling into the UK? You're on the Wirral, aren't you? Not the real deal, but close, eh?
Lollipop Man Might be ok if it was full time, but a couple of hours a day isn't the best. Nice to see you've kept your sense of humour, job hunting day after day can be a bit disheartening. Fingers crossed you find something suitable soon

Absolutely loving the UK thanks (yes, I'm a Wirral wool) I'm in Perth at the moment visiting my family, left scouse home to paint and mind the dog. Seems fair to me
Old May 18th 2016, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Lollipop Man Might be ok if it was full time, but a couple of hours a day isn't the best. Nice to see you've kept your sense of humour, job hunting day after day can be a bit disheartening. Fingers crossed you find something suitable soon

Absolutely loving the UK thanks (yes, I'm a Wirral wool) I'm in Perth at the moment visiting my family, left scouse home to paint and mind the dog. Seems fair to me
Not sure he should paint the dog, but other than that fair enough!

I do try to keep upbeat about things but it can be a bit disheartening. I go out for a coffee each day just to make sure I'm getting out of the apartment (which is beautiful, to be fair, but you feel cooped up after a while regardless of how nice the place is). I do have to look at, on average, 28 pages of new vacancies on Seek every evening though. Which is about as fun as it sounds. Strangely though I found a corker of a job which I believe I could do, and it's for a well-known but unusual institution. So I'll be crafting the best resume and cover letter I can to have a crack at that.

Actually, did I read the other day that you'd been poorly and missed out on a trip to Bali? Commiserations if so, rough luck. Get well soon!
Old May 18th 2016, 3:57 pm
Concierge

Not sure he should paint the dog, but other than that fair enough!

I do try to keep upbeat about things but it can be a bit disheartening. I go out for a coffee each day just to make sure I'm getting out of the apartment (which is beautiful, to be fair, but you feel cooped up after a while regardless of how nice the place is). I do have to look at, on average, 28 pages of new vacancies on Seek every evening though. Which is about as fun as it sounds. Strangely though I found a corker of a job which I believe I could do, and it's for a well-known but unusual institution. So I'll be crafting the best resume and cover letter I can to have a crack at that.

Actually, did I read the other day that you'd been poorly and missed out on a trip to Bali? Commiserations if so, rough luck. Get well soon!
Hahahaa, that did sound like he was going to paint the dog

You're doing all the right things re the job hunt, including getting yourself out and having a break from all things 'job-hunting related'. Great that you've found something to have a crack at, best of luck with it. You're probably well practiced in the art of resumes and cover letters, but if you ever need a hand (or another eye) I'd be happy to have a look. I've read more resumes than I've had hot dinners and used to mentor staff who were climbing the management ladder.

Ta for the get well wishes, yes, missed the Bali trip but I can't moan too much, I've had two weeks down south in the Margaret River wine region. I'll be fighting fit again by next Wednesday (fly-out day). I can't wait to see what colour scouse has painted our golden retriever Better get a few hours shut-eye before kick-off, catch you later
Old May 20th 2016, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

This mirrors my experience in Melbourne too. Even so far as second interview for a Gvt dept. They gave me great feedback but then decided to change the role to a more technical one which I didn't have the right skills for (I wouldn't have wasted my time applying if that was the original spec).

Agencies are a waste of time and most won't talk to you unless you are applying for an advertised role.

I've had quite a few interviews in the past 6 weeks and 2 offers (insuitable/exploitative/stupidly low salary) and more interviews next week. I've even sat a 2 hour online psychometric and comprehension tests for a job which I'm waiting to hear if I'm going through to the next round.

Just be patient.... The right job will materialise (well that's my daily mantra).
Old May 22nd 2016, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I wonder have others had the experience of arriving in Aus and looking for un-skilled work through job agencies? I have not been in the job market for a while whilst in the UK and wonder is the thing to do simply turn up at their offices with a c.v. or should one go about it in another way? Is a c.v. sufficient or would they be looking for more before considering putting a newly arrived migrant forward for a role? Hoping someone can advise.

My kids, uni students, found it a real shock compared to Brisbane where they all had work. First hitch is the $13 a hour wage contracts. So many students in melbourne, and new arrivals, employers can ignore award wages by signing what we ended up calling slave contracts. Usually stating " I understand its in my benefit " yep, to sign away all rights of a basic wage.

Also work for a few weeks over a busy period then nothing.

Probably half the uni student they know cant find work.

One of them looking again now, available all weekends and evenings an all uni holidays.

Partners 30 years of OZ construction experience was also worth nothing, amusingly hes an aussie, back to boom time Brisbane and more business/bus than he can deal with.

You are not alone, so dont take it personally.

I too still work from brisbane, despite living mostly in melbourne.

Crazy situation, melbourne is just too overcrowded and competitive in jobs and housing.