Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cash in hand jobs?

Cash in hand jobs?

Old Apr 26th 2011, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

towers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud of
Default Cash in hand jobs?

A migration agent suggests a potential solution to my non cohabiting defacto spouse problem is to start living together/joint accounts/joint-bills immediately (say from next week). Apparently after 6 months we'll be legitimate enough to add her onto my 457 visa while in Oz.

However I'm due in Australia in early July, and the problem is she'd have to be on a tourist visa as we serve out this "sentence" as she's over 30. But this leaves 4 months where she cant work. Officially.

Anyone have advice on how to handle this convolution to their plans?
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:10 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cash in hand jobs?

Nice try, fail. You are not using the visitor’s visa for the purpose it is intended for. The Department of Immigration isn’t stupid and will be onto you like a rat up a drainpipe.

The normal visitor’s visa is for 3 months maximum. Anything longer than that will require a 676 visa, and that will involve questions about ability to fund a stay of that length, and the minute she mentions you and your 457 things will get tricky. Even saying you will be living with your boyfriend on a 651 3 month visa will start warning bells ringing.

You can work here illegally, but if you get caught you run the risk of deportation and a ban on re-entry for 3 years, and people do get caught.

Think about it – if it were that easy everyone would be here on tourist visas and working for cash…
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by towers
A migration agent suggests a potential solution to my non cohabiting defacto spouse problem is to start living together/joint accounts/joint-bills immediately (say from next week). Apparently after 6 months we'll be legitimate enough to add her onto my 457 visa while in Oz.

However I'm due in Australia in early July, and the problem is she'd have to be on a tourist visa as we serve out this "sentence" as she's over 30. But this leaves 4 months where she cant work. Officially.

Not as easy to do cash in hand in Australia as it is in the UK, the tax system is tighter with everyone doing their own returns for one thing. Its also less acceptable generally.
To do it while on a tourist visa is (personally speaking) just stupid. There is a high chance of getting caught, deported and barred from the country, plus it would be very hard to get another tourist visa after the ban expires. Even if not caught while in the country, many people are picked up for it when they come back on another visa years later.

Finally, BE does not condone illegal activities OR visa fraud, so please don't ask people to help you get round the law.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

towers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not as easy to do cash in hand in Australia as it is in the UK, the tax system is tighter with everyone doing their own returns for one thing. Its also less acceptable generally.
To do it while on a tourist visa is (personally speaking) just stupid. There is a high chance of getting caught, deported and barred from the country, plus it would be very hard to get another tourist visa after the ban expires. Even if not caught while in the country, many people are picked up for it when they come back on another visa years later.

Finally, BE does not condone illegal activities OR visa fraud, so please don't ask people to help you get round the law.
fair cop guv, consider me told
Old Apr 26th 2011, 6:00 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

I heard of a nurse last year who went with her family on a tourist visa just for a holiday and to basically reccie a couple of areas with a view to potentially applying and moving when the little uns were a bit older. she took a couple of cv's with her .... got stopped at customs and grilled for about 12 hours about their intentions. its only cos her husband is a copper (and a fairly high ranked one) and they had his superiors stating he wasnt about to leave everything behind that they let them stay and didnt deport them on the spot.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
I heard of a nurse last year who went with her family on a tourist visa just for a holiday and to basically reccie a couple of areas with a view to potentially applying and moving when the little uns were a bit older. she took a couple of cv's with her .... got stopped at customs and grilled for about 12 hours about their intentions. its only cos her husband is a copper (and a fairly high ranked one) and they had his superiors stating he wasnt about to leave everything behind that they let them stay and didnt deport them on the spot.
have heard similar stories.

including one where some guy came on a tourist visa looking to get sponsored and was applying for jobs etc, DIAC got wind of it and give him a grilling on the way out wanting to know what he doing applying for jobs. I think he is now to afraid to go back in case he gets refused and a 3 year exclusion.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
have heard similar stories.

including one where some guy came on a tourist visa looking to get sponsored and was applying for jobs etc, DIAC got wind of it and give him a grilling on the way out wanting to know what he doing applying for jobs. I think he is now to afraid to go back in case he gets refused and a 3 year exclusion.
But what if someone weren't to look for a job while on a 6 month holiday visa, served out their 6 month cohabiting with me while i work to support the both of us, all the while maybe volunteering following which I'd add them onto my 457 - no harm no foul there?
Old Apr 26th 2011, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Im not sure I don't make the rules, but sure what harm was that Nurse bringing cv's with her on a tourist visa? obviously its not on.

actually it does say on the Tourist visa web page

This visa allows people to visit Australia for a holiday or recreation, or to visit family and friends. This visa may also be used for other short-term non-work purposes including study for less than three months.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:26 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

It's easy to get cash in hand work. Plenty of people in this country do it remember there are close to half a million illegal migrants here.

Just be aware though that if you get caught you'll never get a work permit to work here ever. Another issue that is rarely talked about here is that a banning order from Australia even for 3 years usually means a lifetime ban from America and Canada.

You weigh up the risks?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 1:58 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Also, when you are caught it's straight to Villawood detention centre or its local equivalent then the next available plane, at your expense.

No time to tie up loose ends.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Weebie
It's easy to get cash in hand work. Plenty of people in this country do it remember there are close to half a million illegal migrants here.

Just be aware though that if you get caught you'll never get a work permit to work here ever. Another issue that is rarely talked about here is that a banning order from Australia even for 3 years usually means a lifetime ban from America and Canada.

You weigh up the risks?
Its also very easy to get caught, with the economic situation in UK & Ireland some lads were coming out on tourist visas and trying to get cash in hand.

Few friends of mine who work in construction as tradesmen are saying these guys are willing to work for a lot less than the usual rate, but they will probably get caught because the legitimate worker is prepared to preserve the pay rates and dob them in.

btw that figure of 1/2 million is a slight exaggeration the real figure is about 50,000.

Fact Sheet 87

Last edited by man_called_Horse; Apr 27th 2011 at 3:10 am.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 4:45 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by towers

Did your migration agent suggest your girlfriend (yes, that's what she is, not defacto) break the law by working? And not paying taxes?

You're going to have to face the fact that if you are not living together she's your girlfriend. Not your defacto. Therefore you're going to have to decide whether to break it off, get married or forget Australia for now.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 4:56 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Also, when you are caught it's straight to Villawood detention centre or its local equivalent then the next available plane, at your expense.

Also, when you are caught it's straight to the burned out ruins of Villawood holiday centre or its local equivalent then the next available rooftop protest, at taxpayers expense.

There mate, fixed it up for you…..
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Kamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
Im not sure I don't make the rules, but sure what harm was that Nurse bringing cv's with her on a tourist visa? obviously its not on.

actually it does say on the Tourist visa web page

This visa allows people to visit Australia for a holiday or recreation, or to visit family and friends. This visa may also be used for other short-term non-work purposes including study for less than three months.
I just had a panic attack when I saw this. I e-mailed my CO yesterday to see if I could get an approximate visa grant date as I have been offered a job. I didn't actually go looking for work, it was sort of offered as a favour to my husband for when my visa comes through.

Luckily, I'm on an ETA at the moment and it only says that I am not allowed to work as anything that a normal Australian would receive payment for and nothing about actually looking for work (not that I was looking anyway, but phew).
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

You know...I was just looking at the title of this thread and can't believe none of the BE Finbar Saunders brigade have been along yet!

Spartacus...where are you???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.