New to Adelaide

Old Oct 26th 2018, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute
Default New to Adelaide

So, apparently after coming over on evisitor visa I am now on my 489 (so glad it's been granted)., so I'm going to make a quick fleeting trip back to the UK and then we will be back for good.

We are currently in Glenelg and love it here but its quite lonely. Are there any aussies or expats around here that will be able to ease us into this new lifestyle? I've been so excited since staring all of the visa process but now I feel daunted by the enormity of the move since coming on holiday.
Old Oct 27th 2018, 10:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Adelaide

Originally Posted by Clacfart
So, apparently after coming over on evisitor visa I am now on my 489 (so glad it's been granted)., so I'm going to make a quick fleeting trip back to the UK and then we will be back for good.

We are currently in Glenelg and love it here but its quite lonely. Are there any aussies or expats around here that will be able to ease us into this new lifestyle? I've been so excited since staring all of the visa process but now I feel daunted by the enormity of the move since coming on holiday.
Look out for oldsparkles and Rasen78, both over that way
Old Oct 27th 2018, 11:14 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Look out for oldsparkles and Rasen78, both over that way
And Wendy.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

This is relatively normal and these things do take some time.

It will start to ease up once you both begin working.

When we first arrived, Australians uniformly advised us to take up a sport, because of how social networks run through that here.

We didn't and joined a few community organisations instead, but we waited a few months to get the lay of the land first. But we are also fairly reclusive, and were working fairly quickly, so that didn't bother us.

A recommendation:

Take your car and do trips out of the city each weekend, or every other weekend. There is quite a lot around Adelaide, and also beyond like the Riverland, Mt Gambier and the Flinders Ranges. Nothing to educate you about South Australia quite like experience. Make it a goal to visit every shire in the state within 3 years. That will be easier than it sounds; Outback shires tend to be huge. I think they are called district councils and not shires in South Australia? Anyways you can knock off quite a few just driving from Point A to Point B and stopping at one site. The tourism bureaus do an excellent job in Australia of pointing out interesting things along the way.

Last edited by carcajou; Oct 28th 2018 at 12:30 am.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 2:16 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
And Wendy.
Not sure Wendy uses BE anymore, but I have her on FB so she is still around.

There are a few others too - Vash (the Stampede) is northern suburbs (but south of me in Gawler), Aries was up in the hills but may now be travelling, and a few others than came here with SA Ambulance as paramedics I think.

I made friends with Rasen / Romfft when we arrived, and bubblegumbabe who is another that no longer uses BE but is still around.

Not sure I'm much good for a meet up but feel free to message me if you like Clecfart

Edit - it's not Aries in the hills and now travelling, it's Louie. Aries used to live in Adelaide but is now in the UK.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Oct 28th 2018 at 5:31 am.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies and the advice offers.

So far so good, we have even put an application in to rent an apartment which we should here back tomorrow. All very exciting!!
Old Nov 17th 2018, 10:03 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clacfart
Thanks for the replies and the advice offers.

So far so good, we have even put an application in to rent an apartment which we should here back tomorrow. All very exciting!!

Welcome to beautiful Adelaide! I'm not on BE much any more so hadn't seen your post. I am currently working FT, but am hoping to go to PT soon, so if you are interested in a meetup PM me. We live in the southern foothills, so Glenelg is easy for me to get to, but happy to show you some other areas.

With summer around the corner, lots of events will be starting. Daughter and I were in the city today watching the cross-country. Some fabulous festivals etc are starting now, especially at the wineries. Not sure if you have kids, but they are a great way to get to know people. Volunteering is very big here, so if you have a particular interest, I'm sure there would be an organisation you could join.