British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Making Friends in Brisbane :) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/making-friends-brisbane-881049/)

Mrs_skinner Jul 27th 2016 7:03 pm

Making Friends in Brisbane :)

Hi All!

After years of prep and planning, my husband and I and our two children (5 and 2) are making the big move to Brisbane next month and just wondering if anyone would like to make some new friends :)

We are staying for a month in Greenslopes, but we are looking at settling Northside (North Lakes, Mango Hill etc).

Anyway, give me a shout if you would like to meet up, we are a friendly bunch and don't bite :)

Lucy :thumbsup:

SoCalDon Jul 28th 2016 8:31 pm

Re: Making Friends in Brisbane :)

Sal and I live in Carindale which is pretty close to Greenslopes. Let us know if you need a hand with anything!

Mrs_skinner Jul 29th 2016 8:42 pm

Brilliant thanks for the offer!! I'm sure we will take you up ;)

Belle121 Aug 2nd 2016 5:01 pm

Hi Mrs Skinner,

I too am arriving next month. The 19th to be exact. I however will be starting off in Tweed Heads and then moving up to Brisbane. My youngest son will be starting school in January in Toowong. My children are 19 and 13!
How are you coping with the exchange rate!? My house sale here in the UK fell through last minute so I'm going to be staying in Tweed until the sale goes through then find a house around Chapel Hill or Indooropilly area.

I'm flying out in less than 2 weeks now!!

Mrs_skinner Aug 2nd 2016 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Belle121 (Post 12018183)
Hi Mrs Skinner,

I too am arriving next month. The 19th to be exact. I however will be starting off in Tweed Heads and then moving up to Brisbane. My youngest son will be starting school in January in Toowong. My children are 19 and 13!
How are you coping with the exchange rate!? My house sale here in the UK fell through last minute so I'm going to be staying in Tweed until the sale goes through then find a house around Chapel Hill or Indooropilly area.

I'm flying out in less than 2 weeks now!!

Hi Belle121!

We fly out on the 17th, time is going very fast now-we are on the tour of saying goodbye to family etc now. Luckily for us we have changed the majority of our money up before the pound plummet so managed to get an average of $2 to £1. We will just be changing up what we get for our vehicles and the odd bit in our banks.

Do you have family over in Brisbane? If you would like to make more friends then let me know. :)

How have you find the whole process?

Belle121 Aug 2nd 2016 8:20 pm

Yes I have my brother in Brisbane. My mum lived in Tweed up until she died last Jan, so I'm going to stay at her place while the house sells in UK and patiently wait for the £ to improve. I can think of worse places to stay!
I'm dual nationality so I've been saved from the nightmare visa process. The hardest but it the doubts that keep creeping into mind. However this move has been on the cards for a long time and now my youngest is 13 and wants to go it only seems the most logical thing to do.
I'm very much up to meeting as many new people as possible. I believe that is the only way to Intergrate, be social etc. Homesickness creeps in if you're isolated and lonely!
I'm bringing our dog too so she will be a great way of meeting new people.

Just sold my car yesterday, another step closer! Bags are half packed. The shippers are on hand once I finally exchange!!

How have you found the process?

Mrs_skinner Aug 4th 2016 7:34 pm

Ah thats good that you have family here. We have some friends who we met out there when we were on a WHV. We haven't seen them for 7 years, but they are still as lovely!

The process for us hasn't been too painful to be honest. We have just been methodical in everything have done. My hubby is an electrician so we are over on a 189 visa. We have spent the last 2 years planning and finally the time is here! It will be hard saying goodbye to our friends and family, but I'm looking forward to this adventure!

mangotree Aug 10th 2016 4:02 pm

Hi Mrs skinners. We are currently living down the road in Stones Corner so would be happy to lend you a cup of sugar or even a cuppa when you get here. pm me and I'll send you details.

Mrs_skinner Aug 10th 2016 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by mangotree (Post 12023963)
Hi Mrs skinners. We are currently living down the road in Stones Corner so would be happy to lend you a cup of sugar or even a cuppa when you get here. pm me and I'll send you details.

Hi Mango Tree,

Thats fantastic will pm you! :)