Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Smart TV from the UK

Smart TV from the UK

Old Jul 23rd 2016, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Pete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Smart TV from the UK

Hi,
Can I ask, is there any benefit in bringing over to Aus our smart TV from the UK. We pretty much only watch catch up channels like the iplayer and I am guessing it won't be straightforward will it to utilise the existing apps such as ITV catch up and the BBC iPlayer? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 11:40 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smart TV from the UK

Originally Posted by Pete39
Hi,
Can I ask, is there any benefit in bringing over to Aus our smart TV from the UK. We pretty much only watch catch up channels like the iplayer and I am guessing it won't be straightforward will it to utilise the existing apps such as ITV catch up and the BBC iPlayer? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Unsuprisingly, no, you wont be able to watch BBC or ITV players in Oz
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 12:32 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Yes.

Firstly depending on the TV, you may be able to get it to work on Australian frequencies etc. In particular, things like Samsung TVs will often download the appropriate catchup TV apps to work in Australia. However...

You will probably find that you will wish to access UK catchup TV anyway (since Aus is c**p). Via use of a SmartDNS service, you can still route connections to the UK and access the likes of iPlayer. Therefore the fact that it already works is a bonus.

Accessing the likes of Aus catchup TV is a matter of plugging in an appropriate box in addition.

Or in short, yes.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 12:33 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

The statement above above isn't true. It does depend upon several factors. EG i has a samsung smart tv, it was deliberately initialised in the uk so downloaded to itself all the uk apps and setup for uk. It appeared in the caribbean, plugged into broadband, and it retains all the uk apps. Netflix now has access to us / south american content, bbc iplayer and the other uk tv apps is fine using a VPN courtesy of an advanced router. Possibly another route for you is to buy an apple tv if you do apple, or something else if into windows, and play the players on a tablet/laptop with the screen thrown onto the tv. There seem loads of 'broken' roku and similar players available here which for a small monthly bribe to a local co will get you the universe of anything you might want from everywhere.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 1:13 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Unsuprisingly, no, you wont be able to watch BBC or ITV players in Oz
Rubbish

It's more than simple to do
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 1:16 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Bring it

It will work
Old Jul 25th 2016, 3:58 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Bring it

It will work
Is the inability to get the audio now obsolete with digital then?

Regarding the iPlayer apps the BBC one seems now to be unavailable
Old Jul 25th 2016, 5:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Wol
Is the inability to get the audio now obsolete with digital then?

Regarding the iPlayer apps the BBC one seems now to be unavailable
People actually still watch terrestrial TV? Wow

OP says they just watch catch up TV so yes, it will work. May need to change DNS settings (on TV or on router) but apart from that they'll be good to go
Old Jul 25th 2016, 6:38 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
People actually still watch terrestrial TV? Wow

OP says they just watch catch up TV so yes, it will work. May need to change DNS settings (on TV or on router) but apart from that they'll be good to go
Are we not talking VPN access now? Because the BBC isn't co-operating. ITV is.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 8:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Wol
Are we not talking VPN access now? Because the BBC isn't co-operating. ITV is.
No need to use a VPN to access iplayer. All that is needed is a DNS redirect subscription ($30-40 a year) and to change DNS settings - either on the TV or on the router. This will work whether the BBC is co-operating or not

In this scenario, all UK services should be available

Works for me - we were watching iplayer last night
Old Jul 25th 2016, 10:00 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

DNS redirection will sometimes work and sometimes not work, it depends upon whether the BBC block the supplier of the DNS service which they are reasonably smart doing but some small suppliers they haven't noticed or haven't got round to yet. I think the real solution is to pay for a quality VPN service which will cost you a little bit but ultimately the BBC have no chance of stopping and no way of noticing so long as the VPN regularly changes its addresses.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

My UK Smart TV works absolutely fine. I even pick up all the digital channels if I set it to Germany.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 11:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
DNS redirection will sometimes work and sometimes not work, it depends upon whether the BBC block the supplier of the DNS service which they are reasonably smart doing but some small suppliers they haven't noticed or haven't got round to yet. I think the real solution is to pay for a quality VPN service which will cost you a little bit but ultimately the BBC have no chance of stopping and no way of noticing so long as the VPN regularly changes its addresses.
I've never, ever had the BBC block any DNS redirect service that I've used. Ever

The only problem that I've encountered is with Netflix and even that's now currently being overcome

The BBC are technical amateurs compared to Netflix
Old Jul 25th 2016, 11:47 am

You are aware that the BBC have now received permission to tie iplayer to the possession of a TV license. You will be given a personal key when you buy a license, but that will still not work abroad without chicanery - so if you are abroad you will have to purchase a license, and borrowing auntie floes key is no good if she uses iplayer..

When i say dns sometimes works- i am referring to supplier, not that it is unreliable - the bbc block dns services supplied by the bigger suppliers, plenty of people here have posted 'its stopped working...' Technically this is easy because dns resetting for users is a manual task, vpn suppliers have it easier - they can automatically rotate 'your' addresses from a big pool or actually appear to be a big pile of addresses concurrently.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 12:24 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
You are aware that the BBC have now received permission to tie iplayer to the possession of a TV license. You will be given a personal key when you buy a license, but that will still not work abroad without chicanery - so if you are abroad you will have to purchase a license, and borrowing auntie floes key is no good if she uses iplayer..

When i say dns sometimes works- i am referring to supplier, not that it is unreliable - the bbc block dns services supplied by the bigger suppliers, plenty of people here have posted 'its stopped working...' Technically this is easy because dns resetting for users is a manual task, vpn suppliers have it easier - they can automatically rotate 'your' addresses from a big pool or actually appear to be a big pile of addresses concurrently.
Use the quote system as it's easier to follow who you are replying to and is a part of this forum's etiquette

I'm aware that the BBC is looking at ways to make users pay for iplayer and it makes sense - the current TV tax is pathetically stupid and inadequate and should be scrapped. I'm sure that people would be happy to pay a TV tax if it means that they will continue to get iplayer - the BBC already has a subscription-based model on Apple and Foxtel has a BBC channel

I've never had a problem with DNS. It's a click of an icon on a phone to reset and there are even ways to automate this

VPN is fine but it does cut internet speed

DNS is the way to go IMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.