Reload this Page >

Long phone calls to UK

Long phone calls to UK

Old Sep 5th 2016, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

phillips_75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Long phone calls to UK

Hi,

We need to make a long phone call to the UK (we'll be calling HMRC and they can keep you on hold forever!).

What would you recommend as the most cost effective way to do this please?

We both have Telstra mobile phones so we could just call the "outside the UK" number from one of them. The other thing I'm wondering about is buying an international phone card, and using it on either my mother in law's landline, or a payphone?

Thanks for your help :-)

Peter
Old Sep 6th 2016, 12:08 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long phone calls to UK

Originally Posted by phillips_75
Hi,

We need to make a long phone call to the UK (we'll be calling HMRC and they can keep you on hold forever!).

We both have Telstra mobile phones so we could just call the "outside the UK" number from one of them. The other thing I'm wondering about is buying an international phone card, and using it on either my mother in law's landline, or a payphone?

Peter

I use Google Hangouts/Voice which allows calls to the UK for very small amounts of money.

You'll need a Gmail account and the Google Voice plugin, but it's pretty simple.

S
Old Sep 6th 2016, 2:20 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Suggest a VoIP into a UK number - 1p per min

Don't suggest Telstra Mobile, they can be bl**dy expensive if you aren't careful. At least on my Virgin account calling the UK is the same cost as calling next door.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 7:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Peter
My sister changed her mobile plan, which now allows her to make free calls to the UK from Australia. If you call the UK regularly I can ask her for the details.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

We looked at this as we also needed the ability to call Korea. I'm sure things have changed but for us the 'Hello Card' was a no brainer compared to the 'special rate' Telstra used to offer.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I use my mobile. I'm sure I get stung but I never look at the bill. The wife uses her Vodafone mobile and claims calls to the UK are part of her allowance.

Apart from that I use my companies Skype system.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 11:51 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

And don't top up Skype using a CC as from Wednesday Coles will be selling all Skype top-up cards at 50% off.

P.S. Even if you already have a Skype account you can change currencies to AUD.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Peter
Skype is good - a couple of cents a minute to landlines and mobiles

Edit:
Just checked and its 2.5c/min - less is some cases

Last edited by Amazulu; Sep 7th 2016 at 8:28 am.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:36 pm

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

And buying a card at Coles this week cuts the cost in half.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:55 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera

And don't top up Skype using a CC as from Wednesday Coles will be selling all Skype top-up cards at 50% off.

P.S. Even if you already have a Skype account you can change currencies to AUD.
Yup yup, Skype! I use that for anything that needs to be done back in the UK on a land line and Facetime/whats app for friends/family - way way cheaper!

If you need to be called back - you can get a Skype In number that will route back to your phone/computer (as long as Skype is running and you have decent cellular signal and/or WiFi).
Old Sep 9th 2016, 12:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Microsoft often have big discounts on Skype credit - I got $50 credit for $25 recently

Credit lasts for a year
Old Sep 9th 2016, 8:28 am

Same deal as the supermarket ones recently.

As for credit validity I think there is no expiry. You don't have to use it up in a year - you simply have to make at least one chargeable call/message to keep the credit valid for 12 more months.