Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canberra meet up

Canberra meet up

Old Jun 27th 2007, 9:17 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canberra meet up

Thats great at least you more comfortable with this new one.

We used a local independant one and they do seem a bit more personable, fingers crossed for you they will have that buyer walking through their door before you know it!

Good Luck!

Carmel
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

OK - although I have been in Canberra for a while I am still not aware of the pubs/meeting places available.

I think it would be a good idea for a family meet in July and then a grown up meet in august.

what do you all think?

Anyone know of a venue that kids are welcome?
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sasbear
OK - although I have been in Canberra for a while I am still not aware of the pubs/meeting places available.

I think it would be a good idea for a family meet in July and then a grown up meet in august.

what do you all think?

Anyone know of a venue that kids are welcome?
I think Kids are welcome in Mac Donalds.

You have to be 18 here to go into any pub etc , not like England when if your with your parents over 14 or a games or family room.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomref

You have to be 18 here to go into any pub etc , not like England when if your with your parents over 14 or a games or family room.
sorted then - maccas here we come......

Seriously - ask Carmel if she knows of any where that we could arrange.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:02 pm
jon&a mp;kate

jon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud of
Angry Re: Canberra meet up

Hi folks house back on the market with new agent.Am getting a liitle nervous regarding finding work (print machine assistant)as looking on all job sites and nothing comming up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Have made contact with one company but if nothing comes of that im not sure what will happen!!!!!!!!!!!.Am not bothered what job i do within reason so if you have any jobs going feel free to pass on the info.We have PR so do not have to stay in the printing trade.Silly thing is that lots of jobs for the MRS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jon&kate
Hi folks house back on the market with new agent.Am getting a liitle nervous regarding finding work (print machine assistant)as looking on all job sites and nothing comming up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Have made contact with one company but if nothing comes of that im not sure what will happen!!!!!!!!!!!.Am not bothered what job i do within reason so if you have any jobs going feel free to pass on the info.We have PR so do not have to stay in the printing trade.Silly thing is that lots of jobs for the MRS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

Not sure exactly what your job entails so not sure what would be suitable - or you would consider suitable.

PM me more info and what type of salary you are looking for and I will keep my ear to the ground for you.

Sarah
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:37 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pomref

Most social clubs in Canberra are family friendly.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by copa
Most social clubs in Canberra are family friendly.

so somewhere like the Holenic centre (SP) or Wests?
Old Jul 5th 2007, 4:12 am
Account Closed

so somewhere like the Holenic centre (SP) or Wests?
I've never been to those clubs but, if they are like the others... Belconnen Labour Club, West Belconnen Leagues Club, Raiders club etc etc..., they will be family friendly venues.

You need to be a memebr to go in, or you can be signed in by a member. IIRC memebrships are only a few $ fer year. You easily make that money back after a couple of drinking sessions with the cheaper drinks that they sell.

If you're not with a member who can sign you in, some clubs allow a few visits free without memebrships and other charge a tiny token fee for non-members per visit.

I'm a member of the Labour club group (and also the West Belconnen Leagues Club) and that gives me access to their clubs around Canberra. I can pop into their club in civic for a drink, eat a cheap weekend meal in their Belconnen club or pop down the road for some dodgy chips and gravy and a schooner at the Charnwood labour club.

They are a lot better than some of the dingy social clubs found in the UK.

Last edited by copa; Jul 5th 2007 at 4:21 am.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

I've never been to those clubs but, if they are like the others... Belconnen Labour Club, West Belconnen Leagues Club, Raiders club etc etc..., they will be family friendly venues.

You need to be a memebr to go in, or you can be signed in by a member. IIRC memebrships are only a few $ fer year. You easily make that money back after a couple of drinking sessions with the cheaper drinks that they sell.

If you're not with a member who can sign you in, some clubs allow a few visits free without memebrships and other charge a tiny token fee for non-members per visit.

I'm a member of the Labour club group (and also the West Belconnen Leagues Club) and that gives me access to their clubs around Canberra. I can pop into their club in civic for a drink, eat a cheap weekend meal in their Belconnen club or pop down the road for some dodgy chips and gravy and a schooner at the Charnwood labour club.

They are a lot better than some of the dingy social clubs found in the UK.

Sounds real good - thanks for all that - I will have a word with OH and see if he fancies joing one close by.

Would you happen to know the address of the closest ones to me - we are at Fraser.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:36 am
Account Closed

Sounds real good - thanks for all that - I will have a word with OH and see if he fancies joing one close by.

Would you happen to know the address of the closest ones to me - we are at Fraser.
I'm in Flynn.....POssibly the Charnwood Labour Club for you??.... which is one of the smallest clubs around... it is just next to the charnwood shops and has recently been refurbished. It gets a small bit of the "charnwood" factor but not that much. It also has an outside smoking are if you're a smoker. They also have meals deals on certain days of the week.

As it's a Labour club you get access to their club in Civic (bit slick but with cheaper drinks than the pubs in Civic and an ok environent) and Belconnen also (the belco one attract a wide variety of people, is a good size and has eatery deals on certain days a week, a very large screen for major sporting events and an outdoor heated smoking area if you're a smoker)...

Social clubs are all over canberra located in all sorts of places.. I only know a few of them. Maybe there is a list somewhere online.

SOMe clubs do the whole bingo, trivia nights, dancing nights thing... others are more like sports bars with a restaurant on the side..... they can vary quite a bit.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm in Flynn.....POssibly the Charnwood Labour Club for you??.... which is one of the smallest clubs around... it is just next to the charnwood shops and has recently been refurbished. It gets a small bit of the "charnwood" factor but not that much. It also has an outside smoking are if you're a smoker. They also have meals deals on certain days of the week.

As it's a Labour club you get access to their club in Civic (bit slick but with cheaper drinks than the pubs in Civic and an ok environent) and Belconnen also (the belco one attract a wide variety of people, is a good size and has eatery deals on certain days a week, a very large screen for major sporting events and an outdoor heated smoking area if you're a smoker)...

Social clubs are all over canberra located in all sorts of places.. I only know a few of them. Maybe there is a list somewhere online.

SOMe clubs do the whole bingo, trivia nights, dancing nights thing... others are more like sports bars with a restaurant on the side..... they can vary quite a bit.
Just around the corner then - will have to meet up one day - maybe you could help us to arrange a meeting at one of the above venues?
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

annaandsean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 3littlefigs
Hi there - We have just moved to Canberra. - with 3 kids (1,4 and 4) and wondered if anyone fancied meeting up. Matt & Donna
Hi Matt and Donna,

My hubbie and I are moving to Canberra in September... we have a 2 year old. Where abouts are you living? Would be great to meet up.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

annaandsean is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jon & Kate as well.. we'll be moving to Canberra in September, our son is 2.. love to meet up.

Anna.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all

Have'nt posted for a little while so thought i,d say hello again, still keeping my fingers crossed that will be in canberra for christmas. (All those all ready there do any of you shop at Fyshwick market and is it cheaper/ better than the supermarkets.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.