Cairns Newbies

Old May 13th 2009, 4:05 am
Just Joined

AandR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cairns Newbies

Hi All,

I'm not sure how many fellow ex Pats are here in Cairns but it would be fantastic to hear from some of you - or perhaps even organise a meet?

We lived here last year and have recently moved over for good! All very new and a little scary still....

Would be great to share some far north experiences.....

Abbey and Rich
Old May 13th 2009, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all
Default Re: Cairns Newbies

Im actually in Perth, but interested because have new nurse at work who lived in Cairns for 17 years. She says that the heat and humidity is sometimes unbearable and was a factor in moving. Out of interest, how do you find the heat there?

Adrian
Old May 14th 2009, 12:53 am
Just Joined

AandR is an unknown quantity at this point

We were here last year May-Oct - which is totally fine, winters are warm but there is no humitity. We went back to the UK for Xmas so havent experienced a proper summer here yet - we arrived back in March and it was noticeably warmer although its already cooling off loads. Fingers crossed next summer isnt too hot!
Old May 15th 2009, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by adiestubbs
Im actually in Perth, but interested because have new nurse at work who lived in Cairns for 17 years. She says that the heat and humidity is sometimes unbearable and was a factor in moving. Out of interest, how do you find the heat there?

Adrian
Been here nearly 18 months now, & yes it is 'hot & sticky' in the summer months, but really you do get used to it, & most time you are just going from one 'air con' area to another! We went down to Brissie with the kids abou 3 months after getting here, & the temps was about 20-22*...a warm day in the UK!....we had to go & buy jumpers & coats

PS you have one of mr favourite quotes in your sig! well done!
Old May 16th 2009, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by windog
Been here nearly 18 months now, & yes it is 'hot & sticky' in the summer months, but really you do get used to it, & most time you are just going from one 'air con' area to another! We went down to Brissie with the kids abou 3 months after getting here, & the temps was about 20-22*...a warm day in the UK!....we had to go & buy jumpers & coats

PS you have one of mr favourite quotes in your sig! well done!
Thanks
Im thinking over a move there myself in January. Everything sounds great but Im just woried about the heat/humidity. I may just give it a go and see what happens!!

Ade
Old May 16th 2009, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Thanks
Im thinking over a move there myself in January. Everything sounds great but Im just woried about the heat/humidity. I may just give it a go and see what happens!!

Ade
Thats all you can do really! untill you try it you cant know how easily or not you will find it!
Old May 17th 2009, 6:10 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Ade
as someone who arrived in January, we have been presently surprised we were led to believe it was going to be awful and we've been fine, not a pick of bother, we have maybe had 3 or 4 days where we have said bloody hell its humid today. Another thing that we found out when we arrived is we dont get the same extreme heats of the rest of Australia such as the 40/45's its very rare apparently

In cairns the best time of yearis starting now and is suppossed to continue til Oct/nov its not as cold as the rest of australia.

My kids play in 7 football teams between them and they have also managed fine, so I guess the moral of the story is never be put off by the things people tell you or else you wouldn't do anything.

good luck

Last edited by wardy2; May 17th 2009 at 6:17 am.
Old May 17th 2009, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wardy2
as someone who arrived in January, we have been presently surprised we were led to believe it was going to be awful and we've been fine, not a pick of bother, we have maybe had 3 or 4 days where we have said bloody hell its humid today. Another thing that we found out when we arrived is we dont get the same extreme heats of the rest of Australia such as the 40/45's its very rare apparently

In cairns the best time of yearis starting now and is suppossed to continue til Oct/nov its not as cold as the rest of australia.

My kids play in 7 football teams between them and they have also managed fine, so I guess the moral of the story is never be put off by the things people tell you or else you wouldn't do anything.

good luck
sounds great! Thanks for your reply

ade