Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Zyban and giving up smoking....

Zyban and giving up smoking....

Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Zyban and giving up smoking....

Well...just popped my first one!! Zyban that is.......

Am determined to kick this bloody habit!!

Anyone else tried it? I would be interested in hearing anyones experiences, good or bad!

Hels
Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:12 pm
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Zyban and giving up smoking....

I took it for about a month and it made me a nervous wreck! I couldnt sleep properly, had really weird vivid dreams. At first it did do the job though, but i soon became immune to the effects and started smoking again.

Good luck with it. I guess not all people will be affected by side effects and anythings worth a try.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:14 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
had really weird vivid dreams.
I took them for a while and my dreams were similar.
I was dreaming that I was eating giant marshmallows and woke up to find my pillows missing
Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
I took it for about a month and it made me a nervous wreck! I couldnt sleep properly, had really weird vivid dreams. At first it did do the job though, but i soon became immune to the effects and started smoking again.

Good luck with it. I guess not all people will be affected by side effects and anythings worth a try.

How long did the side effects last on you after you gave up taking the Zyban??

As my doc said...yes there are side effects quite often but are the side effects worse than the side effects of smoking?

Will post updates and if I become a jibbering mess....well we know the side effects are doing their job at least
Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:17 pm
Springbok

Springbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to all

Howdee...........

I took them after smoking for 15 years. The course is about a month or so but stopped using them after 6 days. That was 3 years ago and not wanted a ciggie since. They are good. My brother-in-law smoked for 35 years and gave up with them. No side effects and that's even with living next to Sellafield. Good luck, you will succeed like a toothless budgie.

The Clan.......

P.S. Hi there Mervyn...............
Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:24 pm
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
I took them for a while and my dreams were similar.
I was dreaming that I was eating giant marshmallows and woke up to find my pillows missing

*groan* now that was lame. Surely you can d better than that!

I found the side effects wore off a couple of weeks after stopping taking them
Old Dec 6th 2005, 10:20 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Helen,

First off... Congrats to you for making the effort to kick the habit, it aint an easy thing to do !!!!

As i said to you, Malc tried Zyban and they did work as he had no notion for smoking at all, however he became moody and depressed and did get nightmares as well so he ended up back on the fags and unfortunately still smoking, on saying that, we have two friends that took Zyban as well with no side effects other than the odd sleepless night and they quit over 4 years ago now so i suppose it effects people differently, fingers crossed you'll sail through it

Keep us posted !!!!
Old Dec 6th 2005, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Goodluck Helen
Old Dec 6th 2005, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

Fee & Cas...thanks girls! I hope it works....I do really want to give up so hope its the help I need. If I do get any of the possible side effects I guess I just have to weigh up whether I can cope with them for the few weeks it supposedly takes for the Zyban to work.

Hels
Old Dec 6th 2005, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
Fee & Cas...thanks girls! I hope it works....I do really want to give up so hope its the help I need. If I do get any of the possible side effects I guess I just have to weigh up whether I can cope with them for the few weeks it supposedly takes for the Zyban to work.

Hels
I thought Zyban was also an anti-depressant called Wellbutrin, so you should feel zippedy doo dah as well as kicking the fags. Good luck to you. As with any pills I reckon they all give your body a shock for a few days but then you'll get used to them.

Best of luck to you XX
Old Dec 7th 2005, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

Iam taking zyban at the moment my side affects were.....a bit shaky and sweaty for a couple of days and about 2 weeks of disturbed sleep. The course lasts 8-9 weeks, and i would suggest that you finish the whole course..........must admit this is the second time i have taken zyban :scared: & last time i stopped for 8 months (the visa application and the xmas booze had a lot to do with starting again) but this time am determined to stay off them.

Been quit now for 4 weeks and feal great..................when you start on the zyban you should be quit by about day 7-8.

good luck.

xx lesley
Old Dec 7th 2005, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

I had a very good mate in the UK that was probably one of the strongest guys mentally I have ever met. He took Zyban 4 years ago - proceeded to have a complete nervous breakdown and has not worked again. There is a huge group in the UK and the US that are trying to sue the makers of Zyban as there are many documented cases of suicide as a result of taking Zyban.

I packed up smoking almost 3 years ago cold turkey - it was hell but at least I didn't pollute my body with other nasty stuff. Do a search on Google and you will find a few websites that talk about the harm Zyban can do.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 1:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Billabong
I had a very good mate in the UK that was probably one of the strongest guys mentally I have ever met. He took Zyban 4 years ago - proceeded to have a complete nervous breakdown and has not worked again. There is a huge group in the UK and the US that are trying to sue the makers of Zyban as there are many documented cases of suicide as a result of taking Zyban.

I packed up smoking almost 3 years ago cold turkey - it was hell but at least I didn't pollute my body with other nasty stuff. Do a search on Google and you will find a few websites that talk about the harm Zyban can do.

Sorry to hear about your mate....

Glad you had the will power to give up cold turkey and congrats for having the strength.

Hels
Old Dec 7th 2005, 3:47 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Same as others, I had lots of problems sleeping & generally felt like crap. Ended up giving up Zyban & going back on the ciggies
Then read Allan Carrs book & gave up at Easter, never had one since.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

The Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the rough

Have you ever read 'Alan Carr's easy way to give up smoking?'

I know a lot of people that have stopped after reading it. It's really repetative and bloody hard to read but if you finish it it works. Saying that I've stopped by reading it twice and am smoking again now.....duhhh. First time was smoke free for 15 months, I know, am I stupid or what?!

But honestly I know a lot of people who've had success with it and it doesn't have any side effect but making your purse $20 lighter.. Was actually recommended it by a doctor in the UK who's wife had used it.(and have bought a copy here in Oz).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.