British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   a-z (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/z-197423/)

ANA123 Dec 17th 2003 8:00 pm

a-z

Is there an Oz equivalent of an A-Z of cities? Cant find anything on Amazon, have a map but it wont quite do!:confused:

JaneandJim Dec 17th 2003 8:04 pm

Re: a-z

Originally posted by mcmercer
Is there an Oz equivalent of an A-Z of cities? Cant find anything on Amazon, have a map but it wont quite do!:confused:
Melway do that kind of thing but I can't find them on Amazon either. They're in the book shops in Australia though.

Jane:)

bondipom Dec 17th 2003 8:09 pm

Re: a-z

For Sydney there is Gregory's or the UBD. Try www.dymocks.com.au for local books. www.whereis.com.au is an online A-Z with route finding capabilities. Maybe that bloke struggling in Melbourne could use it.:D

ANA123 Dec 17th 2003 8:17 pm

Thanks Jane, I'll look out for Melway when we get there.

Thanks Bondipom, its Brisbane I'm after, I've used whereis quite a bit and found it really useful, but I'm thinking about driving around to nowhere in particular on arrival to get our bearings and have a look round. Planning on whereis might spoil the spontaneity a bit. Will try other link though, cheers.

jayr Dec 17th 2003 8:32 pm

Thanks Jane, I'll look out for Melway when we get there.

Thanks Bondipom, its Brisbane I'm after, I've used whereis quite a bit and found it really useful, but I'm thinking about driving around to nowhere in particular on arrival to get our bearings and have a look round. Planning on whereis might spoil the spontaneity a bit. Will try other link though, cheers.

You want the Brisbane UBD - A4 about 1 inch thick and $30-40 in most newsagents (and bookshops)

http://www.ubd-online.com/UBDFrontEn...?productId=309

jayr Dec 17th 2003 8:48 pm

also try out www.multimap.com.au

here's Brisbane CBD (Central Business District)

http://www.multimap.com.au/map/brows...multimap.y=135

downunderpom Dec 17th 2003 9:01 pm

You can also get UBD on CD - 6 Cities, which covers all the major cities. Not too much use if you're driving around, unless you plug your laptop into the car!

I have UBD Sydney, Melbourne and Perth maps. They're great. The latest ones even have "no right turns" listed. I bought the Perth map while I was there, and was so impressed with it that I bought Sydney and Melbourne online before I came out. But then I'm sad - I like reading maps!!:D

ANA123 Dec 17th 2003 9:07 pm

Originally posted by downunderpom
I have UBD Sydney, Melbourne and Perth maps. They're great. The latest ones even have "no right turns" listed. I bought the Perth map while I was there, and was so impressed with it that I bought Sydney and Melbourne online before I came out. But then I'm sad - I like reading maps!!:D

DUP, thanks for that, cant say I share that hobby though, just like not being lost.
;)

Jayr, thanks for the link, just what I was after, have ordered one, cheers.:D

bondipom Dec 17th 2003 9:10 pm

You can also get UBD on CD - 6 Cities, which covers all the major cities. Not too much use if you're driving around, unless you plug your laptop into the car!

That no right turns thing is bloody useful. There is one spot on the Parramatta road where there are no right turns for 2kms! They also mark the speed cameras but with the number of mobile traps around I would not rely on it.

ANA123 Dec 17th 2003 9:16 pm

Two things I'm not good with are maps and laptops, put them together and we'll end up in Darwin!
I may be a dinosaur but for the sake of my marriage I'll stick to a good old paper version.:o

downunderpom Dec 17th 2003 9:21 pm

Two things I'm not good with are maps and laptops, put them together and we'll end up in Darwin!
I may be a dinosaur but for the sake of my marriage I'll stick to a good old paper version.:o
These will suit you, then - they're coloured, (parks are green...) and have nice big blown-up sections for CBDs and areas of interest.

And they're reversable - so if you're driving south you can flip them around and see where you're going!;)

CHnJ Dec 17th 2003 9:35 pm

In the same way that you have to ask for Texta pens instead of marker pens in Oz, an A to Z is known as a Refodex

ANA123 Dec 17th 2003 9:57 pm

These will suit you, then - they're coloured, (parks are green...) and have nice big blown-up sections for CBDs and areas of interest.

And they're reversable - so if you're driving south you can flip them around and see where you're going!;)

:D :D :D :D :D