Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Youth workers in Sydney/School Pastoral

Youth workers in Sydney/School Pastoral

Old May 27th 2017, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Craig1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Youth workers in Sydney/School Pastoral

Hello everyone, my girlfriend and I are moving to Sydney in August. I'am a pastoral Manager in a EBD school and my girlfriend a chartered accountant. I'am a qualified youth worker and pretty concerned about the lack of jobs available.. what state is the youth sector currently? is there another term for school pastoral workers? any advice would be much appreciated.
Old May 28th 2017, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Youth workers in Sydney/School Pastoral

I have not heard that term used in Australian high schools. The job description seems to align with a front office role like school officer - attendance or a chaplaincy. School officer / chaplain roles normally do not require teacher registration. Typically things like behaviour, linking to social services, etc. tends to be done by a Head of Student Services or a Lower/Upper School Program Coordinator. However, Head of Student Services or a Program Coordinator role is seen as a promotional position for teachers and would be very, very, very hard to land for someone coming in off the plane from the UK (or someone who is not a registered teacher).

Best thing to do - take your CV to a couple of principals on the ground here and ask them what they think, and what their advice is for the way forwards.
Old May 28th 2017, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

We're in Melbourne and most public high schools around us have a full or part time Student Wellbeing Coordinator/Counsellor. I know one of our nearest private schools also jave available to students a youth worker and a counsellor. Not sure if this is the same as what you're looking for, but maybe worth looking into x
Old May 28th 2017, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK NSW still has school counsellors which are not youth worker roles - they are now registered psychologists with teaching qualifications. Chaplains are religious. The ACT flirted with youth workers in schools at one stage, not sure if they still have them - one I know went from being a chef to a YW with little or no training and another had been a self employed jewellery maker! (I.e. Not much by way of qualifications!)

The issue in schools is the legality of duty of care by paraprofessionals
Old May 28th 2017, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

WA government schools have chaplains - they have no religious role whatsoever - I don't know why they chose to give them that title. There are trainings/courses that Departments of Education offer to paraprofessionals for duty of care requirements.

The main thing, though, seems to be that the equivalent roles that OP are looking for may be reserved for registered teachers. OP - I would advise you not to restrict your search to schools (though speak to a few principals as I advised) but also look at other organisations.
Old May 28th 2017, 10:24 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craig1988
Hello everyone, my girlfriend and I are moving to Sydney in August. I'am a pastoral Manager in a EBD school and my girlfriend a chartered accountant. I'am a qualified youth worker and pretty concerned about the lack of jobs available.. what state is the youth sector currently? is there another term for school pastoral workers? any advice would be much appreciated.
Many local councils and not for profit organisations employ youth workers, would be well worth you exploring that further. For current job opportunities in Australia, see seek.com.au
Old May 28th 2017, 10:45 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

What visa are you coming on? That will make a difference in your hireability.