Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

YOUTH WORK DIPLOMA OR DEGREE????

YOUTH WORK DIPLOMA OR DEGREE????

Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Sonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really nice
Default YOUTH WORK DIPLOMA OR DEGREE????

Im currently studying for a degree in youth & community development, im just finishing my first year. I can finish next year with a diploma in higher education whihc means we could move to Oz next year. the other option is to do 2 more years and get the degree meaning we would have to dely the move until 2010.
I dont know what to about it!!! Could i get a youth work job with just the diploma in OZ or would i be beter to get the degree?
Please someone help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: YOUTH WORK DIPLOMA OR DEGREE????

Originally Posted by Sonn
Im currently studying for a degree in youth & community development, im just finishing my first year. I can finish next year with a diploma in higher education whihc means we could move to Oz next year. the other option is to do 2 more years and get the degree meaning we would have to dely the move until 2010.
I dont know what to about it!!! Could i get a youth work job with just the diploma in OZ or would i be beter to get the degree?
Please someone help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Look at requirements for the skilled occupation you think you can apply under. The diploma may well be enough, but not sure what occupation you're looking to go into. Also you'll need at least 12 months in the profession for experience to get visa!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Sonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really nice

Im hoping to do some kind of youth work, dont mind which, I love it all!!!!
My husband is a bricklayer, and is on the wanted skill trade list.would me and my family be able to come with him if i did just get the diploma?
Im sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo confused with all this visa stuff!!!!! I cant find anywhere where it tells me what qualification i would need
Old Apr 28th 2008, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the youth workers I know are certificated rather than degreed. However, as with most things, the situation is changing slowly and degrees are always going to have a higher value in the end. Most of the workers I know are now doing their degrees part time. There is quite a bit of work around (well, around here there is) as there is a fair bit of mobility with youth workers. We have some in High Schools and there is a very high turn over. Generally they are not terribly well paid and people find they can get higher salary doing something else so they move on.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:01 am
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, this is the job im aiming at too, tho im doing a social science degree (3 weeks to go till finished).I work part time as a youth worker. Have a look here its states what qualis you need http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupati...er-3421-13.htm
You will need a AQF Diploma or higher plus maybe some work experience though not always the case, are you working as a youth worker at the mo? Get some voluntary work in if you can.

Click here and read post 9, the poster states here and i quote "...So the only UK "Certificate" that is still assessed as equivalent to an Australian AQF Diploma is the HNC - which is actually assessed as equivalent to an Australian AQF Advanced Diploma'.

Pm me for anymore details with regards to youth work in oz.

Last edited by Racht70; Apr 29th 2008 at 12:04 am.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:11 am
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Im hoping to do some kind of youth work, dont mind which, I love it all!!!!
My husband is a bricklayer, and is on the wanted skill trade list.would me and my family be able to come with him if i did just get the diploma?
Im sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo confused with all this visa stuff!!!!! I cant find anywhere where it tells me what qualification i would need

Yep you would be able to go on just his skill.

As long as you have enough points, bear in mind different visas require differents points!

What visa you hoping for?

Oh and Welcome to BE
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:01 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Racht70
Hi there, this is the job im aiming at too, tho im doing a social science degree (3 weeks to go till finished).I work part time as a youth worker. Have a look here its states what qualis you need http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupati...er-3421-13.htm
You will need a AQF Diploma or higher plus maybe some work experience though not always the case, are you working as a youth worker at the mo? Get some voluntary work in if you can.

Click here and read post 9, the poster states here and i quote "...So the only UK "Certificate" that is still assessed as equivalent to an Australian AQF Diploma is the HNC - which is actually assessed as equivalent to an Australian AQF Advanced Diploma'.

Pm me for anymore details with regards to youth work in oz.
Racht, Please remember the quals you need to get points is totally different to the quals you need to actually get a job.
i.e (and I know this may not be your case but it may help explain) many people on here got the points for their social worker quals however when looking for job (especially NSW) they found that they couldnt get a job as the AUS degrees are 4 yrs not 3 yrs as in UK. They then had to do a year distance course to get the necessary extra year for their UK qual to be recognised. I can say for certain that this is the case for NSW social work. So maybe check what you actual need to get a job as well as just the "points" as there is a difference.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 8:49 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

hi

i would say for you to continue with your studies and get the degree, i wish i had now, as my diploma in social work isnt recognised and I will have to do a years course when I get there
bummer!! I hate all that bloody course work and essays,
good luck
bec
Old May 1st 2008, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

My tutor at uni has told me its best to complete the degree and i do want too, its just that i will be holding the whole move up!!!!
Old May 1st 2008, 7:34 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

My tutor at uni has told me its best to complete the degree and i do want too, its just that i will be holding the whole move up!!!!
Sonn, my earlier post was meant for you not rach