Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

You're a long time dead, so just enjoy it!

You're a long time dead, so just enjoy it!

Old Mar 24th 2003, 11:44 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough
Default You're a long time dead, so just enjoy it!

Hi to everyone that are about to, want to, & have emigrated.

Just something to think about.

We read here of the doom & gloom that will meet us in Oz & NZ, and "are we doing the right thing?" people having second thoughts, family/friends turning their backs on us etc.

PB & others have made some interesting points, but why try to discourage some of us who may go about it a different way & actually succeed! (what a thought), think of it as an expensive adventure! What have you got to lose??!! ummm.....money, job, house, your mind, sanity, but apart from that.....

I know there are pitfalls, pros & cons & that maybe the grass is no greener & don't get me wrong it's good to get advice from those that have done it & are returning to blighty. The point is....we are & they did give it a go!
They (although some may not think this now) were lucky enough to be given the chance, but it didn't work out. Some people would give their back teeth to be given this chance of a new/different lifestyle.

Don't be one of those in 10, 20, 30 years time that say " I had the chance, but I didn't & wish I had"

Those that wish they hadn't, would still wish they had if they didn't!! (work that one out!)
If it dont work out, go home!, at least you tried, remember, you're a long time DEAD!

Now you're all confused, it's late, I'm tired & even more confused & don't know what I'm talking about, please forgive me..............thankyou!

Elvis, has left the building!!
Old Mar 24th 2003, 11:56 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You're a long time dead, so just enjoy it!

Originally posted by garrisondamn
Hi to everyone that are about to, want to, & have emigrated.

Just something to think about.

We read here of the doom & gloom that will meet us in Oz & NZ, and "are we doing the right thing?" people having second thoughts, family/friends turning their backs on us etc.

PB & others have made some interesting points, but why try to discourage some of us who may go about it a different way & actually succeed! (what a thought), think of it as an expensive adventure! What have you got to lose??!! ummm.....money, job, house, your mind, sanity, but apart from that.....

I know there are pitfalls, pros & cons & that maybe the grass is no greener & don't get me wrong it's good to get advice from those that have done it & are returning to blighty. The point is....we are & they did give it a go!
They (although some may not think this now) were lucky enough to be given the chance, but it didn't work out. Some people would give their back teeth to be given this chance of a new/different lifestyle.

Don't be one of those in 10, 20, 30 years time that say " I had the chance, but I didn't & wish I had"

Those that wish they hadn't, would still wish they had if they didn't!! (work that one out!)
If it dont work out, go home!, at least you tried, remember, you're a long time DEAD!

Now you're all confused, it's late, I'm tired & even more confused & don't know what I'm talking about, please forgive me..............thankyou!

Elvis, has left the building!!
Good points but those who wish to be immigrates on the whole have no lifes or why leave them , and as W. C Fields said any club who would want me as a member is not a club I would wish to join.
People will always find a reason to move on for greener grass but in most cases the next field has poorer grazing.
I would say that a country keeps its best people and loses the restless and useless , its all hind sight which only has value when looking back not forward.

Old Mar 25th 2003, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

PB
I would say that a country keeps its best people and loses the restless and useless
So you going back to UK makes you?
Old Mar 25th 2003, 12:30 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by karawara88
PB So you going back to UK makes you?
Wiser and older and with a great love of my country Great Britian which for all its drawbacks leaves this place standing.

Old Mar 25th 2003, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry PB, you cant have it both ways, either you left UK because you were. "restless and useless " or you are leaving Oz because you were "restless and useless "
Old Mar 25th 2003, 12:44 am
Banned

Sorry PB, you cant have it both ways, either you left UK because you were. "restless and useless " or you are leaving Oz because you were "restless and useless "
I was restless must have been useless because they gave a skilled Visa easy had way over the points.
I am leaving OZ because I find no use for it and its got more useless than it can handle which has made me restless.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Mar 25th 2003 at 1:01 am.
Old Mar 25th 2003, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Can't think of a reply !!
Old Mar 25th 2003, 1:00 am
Banned

Can't think of a reply !!
What you or me I thought I covered this I was both and now have become a reformed man as should all convicts.

Old Mar 25th 2003, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

It was me who could not think of a reply. Which I guess makes me useless, But hey I was an IT contractor it was my job. !!
Old Mar 25th 2003, 1:20 am
Banned

It was me who could not think of a reply. Which I guess makes me useless, But hey I was an IT contractor it was my job. !!
My son works in your field he has a number of jobs and is working for Yank company in the Mildlands right now seems settled but I've heard that before.
He says its slowing down big time but there are still jobs coming up though its getting harder to find a safe one.

Old Mar 25th 2003, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

I have not had a decent contract in two years, went from £40+ an hour to £15 an hour (Ltd Company) now I cant even pick up £10 an hour, Permie is £20k if you are lucky, its a young mans / womans game now. At 38 I am "over qualified". (Too old)

Cant get work as a van driver as I have no experience. !!

Work available down south but cant afford to live there.

So off to Perth because there is a national shortage of IT workers in OZ.

No there aint, that was it.

Decided I may as well get a tan and be unemployed as be here cold and wet.
Old Mar 25th 2003, 1:47 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I have not had a decent contract in two years, went from £40+ an hour to £15 an hour (Ltd Company) now I cant even pick up £10 an hour, Permie is £20k if you are lucky, its a young mans / womans game now. At 38 I am "over qualified". (Too old)

Let no one on this forum think there are loads of IT jobs in Perth, they are few and far between.

There are loads of trades and labouring jobs though, especially in the mining industry.
Old Mar 25th 2003, 1:48 am
Banned

Yes I know its getting harder my son earns nearly 40k a year on the books he is lucky at the present time then again hes only 28 years old .
I do think that in Australia you need a lot broader skills and they expect you to be able to fill in outside your field a jack of all trades master of none.
Good luck its getting harder for us oldies all over.

Old Mar 25th 2003, 1:52 am
Banned

Originally posted by renth
Let no one on this forum think there are loads of IT jobs in Perth, they are few and far between.

There are loads of trades and labouring jobs though, especially in the mining industry.

You ever worked up in the mines ? any trade is well paid for working in these dust bowls but the unskilled are not better off and its either 2 on 2 off or 6 on 2 off if you lucky , or could be living up there god forbid.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Mar 25th 2003 at 3:15 am.
Old Mar 25th 2003, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Renth,

Which part of

" off to Perth because there is a national shortage of IT workers in OZ.

Decided I may as well get a tan and be unemployed as be here cold and wet."

Did you fail to understand ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.