Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

your views gladly received

your views gladly received

Old Feb 9th 2007, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: your views gladly received

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Aston, if your wifes got family in perth that are going to be as supportive (minding kids etc) as you say you have a big advantage over most coming here. So many women find it hard to settle in OZ, often the reason is often family, if she has that its invaluable, (well unless they fall out )
have to agree, some family is better than none, depsite what toandfro said.
Unless she is a nightmare - you'll have to manage it.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
After your reccie you said you wanted to buy big ute, jetski, boat, pool, house etc, why not trim that back a bit, most people go mental and buy everything in sight at first, you dont have to, get some mates with a boat/jetski/pool Buy a old bomb, not worth having a decent car here anyway if its going to be on and off building sites, will look like a piece of crap in no time, just buy crap looking vehicle in first place and fit in on the sites, falcon with back seat ripped out for bricks and mixer is a good choice.
All this advice I'm reading is very sound. Best level advice I've seen in ages. Take it easy. I do think you'd do 'OK' buying that place in the hills, if that was your wish. These places often breed lifestyle choices and community and you may not need toys to make up for the vacuum.

cheets
Old Feb 9th 2007, 11:18 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I'm sorry Steve, I totally disagree with you there mate. Most of the people we know have to work just as hard, if not harder (due to crap wages) here to make ends meet. The cost of living (i.e, food shopping) see's off most of our money and leaves very little for going out and kicking our heels up. My OH earns a decent wage, the same as in the UK now and yet we seem to struggle so badly here. We don't smoke, we don't go out (apart from round to folks houses) we don't live the high life, yet we still find it hard to manage. Our mortgage is very small compared to some.

If you're lucky and earn a damn good wage and don't need to do overtime to supplement your income, that's great.

The tradies we know reckon that working in 35+ heat nearly kills them. They look forward to cooler days.

Yes, I know the beaches and the parks are free but after spending 2.5 years doing those, they kinda lose the wow factor.

The only difference on the work front, according to my OH, is he goes to work and comes home in sunny weather.

The usual saying applies: "same sh*t, shinier bucket"
I think it depends on the job and the company you work for. There is quite a strong work ethic in Australia, which means you have to earn your money but I do not think you are expected to be rediculous about it. What I found easy about working in Perth is that I could drive to work, and commuting is relatively easy.

i work as a teacher in London and I was laughing with my boyfriend tonight about the fact we walk around wearing clothes with holes in them because we cant afford any new clothes here!! In London, I often have a journey of over an hour both ways which adds on a lot onto your day. I would get up at 6.30 and get home at 6pm, then have marking/prep on top of that. And yes I know London is an expensive city!

Then again, Perth house prices are completely over the top rediculous!!
Old Feb 10th 2007, 4:07 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denver
I think it depends on the job and the company you work for. There is quite a strong work ethic in Australia, which means you have to earn your money but I do not think you are expected to be rediculous about it. What I found easy about working in Perth is that I could drive to work, and commuting is relatively easy.

i work as a teacher in London and I was laughing with my boyfriend tonight about the fact we walk around wearing clothes with holes in them because we cant afford any new clothes here!! In London, I often have a journey of over an hour both ways which adds on a lot onto your day. I would get up at 6.30 and get home at 6pm, then have marking/prep on top of that. And yes I know London is an expensive city!

Then again, Perth house prices are completely over the top rediculous!!
by the time you get up I am at work and when you get home I am still at work as with most of Aust production work it's all 12 hr shifts with your travel time on top of that and where I work its all scrub nothing of intrest to see except the white crosses indicating where people have died in road accidents .
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say I've seen this long hours thing. I work a 36 hour week. I hardly ever do overtime.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:38 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I can't say I've seen this long hours thing. I work a 36 hour week. I hardly ever do overtime.
that as maybe but you can very easily be bumped to any shift any day at any rate with the new law .There are very few people who work less than 40hr week in industry .and most do 50-60hrs week .
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by toandfro
that as maybe but you can very easily be bumped to any shift any day at any rate with the new law .There are very few people who work less than 40hr week in industry .and most do 50-60hrs week .
Sure - but I am a 'professional' hate that word, and as such, we don't do 'shifts'. We provide a service and get adequately compensated - negotiated - for it. Companies we work for don't work like that - you would just go somewhere else and they try to retain people not lose them.

We had letters telling us that the new work relations would not make any difference to us. We knew.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:27 am
beam me up scotty

Sure - but I am a 'professional' hate that word, and as such, we don't do 'shifts'. We provide a service and get adequately compensated - negotiated - for it. Companies we work for don't work like that - you would just go somewhere else and they try to retain people not lose them.

We had letters telling us that the new work relations would not make any difference to us. We knew.
And thats the rub isn't it ,It doesn't affect me so it don't matter ,and you might think you have the upper hand and are irreplaceable but you're not and if you want to prove it start demanding more for less

Last edited by toandfro; Feb 10th 2007 at 10:28 am. Reason: just to many words
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by toandfro
And thats the rub isn't it ,It doesn't affect me so it don't matter ,and you might think you have the upper hand and are irreplaceable but you're not and if you want to prove it start demanding more for less
Not really. I don't think I am irreplaceable at all. We're just relatively in demand and can demand relatively high salaries and reasonable, adult working conditions. We don't have to go cap in hand to some supervisor. And often, you can negotiate pay increases. Infact I was told I could ask for more by someone but decided not to as its really not that important and I'm not exactly pushed.

There are some industries where people get shafted and treated like kids and others where they don't - now that's unfair(!)

Having said that, competition is sometimes a good thing, dismantling work force agreements/shop floor attitudes is sometimes a good thing.

If you pay peanuts you get monkeys....
Old Feb 11th 2007, 3:50 am
beam me up scotty

Not really. I don't think I am irreplaceable at all. We're just relatively in demand and can demand relatively high salaries and reasonable, adult working conditions. We don't have to go cap in hand to some supervisor. And often, you can negotiate pay increases. Infact I was told I could ask for more by someone but decided not to as its really not that important and I'm not exactly pushed.

There are some industries where people get shafted and treated like kids and others where they don't - now that's unfair(!)

Having said that, competition is sometimes a good thing, dismantling work force agreements/shop floor attitudes is sometimes a good thing.

If you pay peanuts you get monkeys....
a little simplistic ,most people are working to live and have developed a standard of living commisurate to earnings (if every one was you there would be noone to sell you your groceries etc)when the balance of power is shifted rapidly and earnings reduced ,you have to honour you comitments and therefore work longer hours or odd shift patterns to keep fed etc. you cannot just walk out and work else where. it's a pitty the same level of responability is not applied to employers (honour their commitments). as for kids, in realistic terms employers behave more like children than any employee I've seen ,if there is no law forcing a company to do something they don't do it ,just like a child if it is not "forced" to go to bed it won't .
I'm not sure what you mean with your comment about dismantling workforce agreements but if you mean less regulation to allow more flexability I suggest you come work with me for 2 weeks and stop reading the government drivel work place agreements are the only thing between employed and enslaved .

to change attitudes on the shop floor you need to change the managment attitude which is always "well the staff need to change " the old circle thing .
the company I work for now 12mths ago had no shift supers no intermediate staff I reported to the maint manager direct every thing that went wrong on my shift was my (and my two team mates) responsability. So we did every thing we could to keep every thing running (and well I might add ) we had a ratio of 9-1 workers to managers .now we have 3-1 I have 4 people to report to. 4 people with different agendas whining when their job isn't first and now I have to wait until I am told what to do next .one day last week on a 12hr day shift I wasn't allocated until 9hrs into the shift when I wrote that on my report sparks flew but it was my fault. now it is disapline this that and the other .you can't fart without some one taking a note

rant over I hope that all makes sense now I've typed it
Old Feb 11th 2007, 5:25 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
please let me know what you think of my situation...

we have been planning only to move to perth ever since we started this process nearly a year ago.
the main reason for perth is my wifes sister lives there and the second reason is that i am a bricklayer and there is an abundance of work for me there.
i have been away this week on my own and had time to think selfishly why i am moving to australia.
the bottom line is i want no mortgage and i want an easier life.i can have no mortgage here ,it would mean just moving to a smaller house..

so here's the million dollar question ,as i cannot afford to buy outright in perth,should i make the sacrifice and make everyone else happy and make myself unhappy.

i cannot blame my wife for wanting to be by her sister but i thought it was a new life in australia she wanted?

my wifes sister would help with the children and my wife would be able to go back to work part time and my children see her as a second mother?

but i am a bricklayer ,i am forty,ive worked hard all my life on site and doing houses up in my spare time and to be honest ,i feel burnt out.
its time for me to be taking it easy ,not buying a house in perth and working when i get home..before you know it i will of lost my looks

whats the answer?should i be selfish and look at moving to a cheaper part of the country.or buy here cash and have the easy life?or move to perth and work hard for a couple of years until i get established again?

thanks all for your time

aston

Yes move to Melbourne

You can help me with my house and then retire

(by that I mean if you are nearly 40 it will take 20 years for my house to get finished based on my planning)
Old Feb 11th 2007, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We are in Perth and my OH is a brickie. Being totally honest, he says he has never worked so hard in his life and the sun will end up killing him if we stay here. When he gets home he just eats his dinner and collapses on the sofa. None of this "family time in the pool with the kids" he's just too tired. He also works Saturdays so we only have Sundays all together and he's worn out by then! If you don't mind working from 6am until 3pm with flies constantly in your mouth and up your nose, then you might like it.We only have a small mortgage and even though his money isn't bad, we are skint all the time. My food shopping is nearly always over $250 a week and we don't have luxurious food (we would if they sold any here!). We never go out as we have no babysitters really and just end up sitting outside drinking every night. Nice for a while, but not forever. Everyone is always on about how it's better for the kids here, but I can't see it. You never see kids playing outside, every time they want to go in the garden you've got to slip slop slap and it gets you down after a while. Every time someone has been over to stay from the UK they find it boring here and say it's not like a "Proper" holiday as you can't just walk anywhere, no restaurants/bars/entertainment nearby. I don't think it's better for the kids as I have realised after nearly 2 years here that being close to family and friends is more important to my 3 year old than going in the pool for a swim and going to the beach.

Maybe other areas in Australia have a bit more going on and are more affordable, but to be honest Perth is like a retirement village and if you still like to have a bit of a life don't come here.

JO
Old Feb 11th 2007, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to all

Hello,

Me and my partner are moving over to Perth in November and wonder if you could help us?

My boyfriend is a carpenter and I am a journalist and we will be looking to rent a 2 bedroomed place for when we arrive.

We don't mind which area we live in, but would obviously like an area which is affordable!

What are the most affordable areas to live in, in Perth? and how do people finding renting apartments in this side of Oz?Is it a realistic affordable possibility to make a living in Perth when considering our professions?

Many thanks,

Jen and Paul
Old Feb 11th 2007, 6:22 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

please let me know what you think of my situation...

we have been planning only to move to perth ever since we started this process nearly a year ago.
the main reason for perth is my wifes sister lives there and the second reason is that i am a bricklayer and there is an abundance of work for me there.
i have been away this week on my own and had time to think selfishly why i am moving to australia.
the bottom line is i want no mortgage and i want an easier life.i can have no mortgage here ,it would mean just moving to a smaller house..

so here's the million dollar question ,as i cannot afford to buy outright in perth,should i make the sacrifice and make everyone else happy and make myself unhappy.

i cannot blame my wife for wanting to be by her sister but i thought it was a new life in australia she wanted?

my wifes sister would help with the children and my wife would be able to go back to work part time and my children see her as a second mother?

but i am a bricklayer ,i am forty,ive worked hard all my life on site and doing houses up in my spare time and to be honest ,i feel burnt out.
its time for me to be taking it easy ,not buying a house in perth and working when i get home..before you know it i will of lost my looks

whats the answer?should i be selfish and look at moving to a cheaper part of the country.or buy here cash and have the easy life?or move to perth and work hard for a couple of years until i get established again?

thanks all for your time

aston
You need to talk to your OH and children, tell them your concerns if you haven't already. It's no good going to start a new life and having a nervous breakdown working your ass off to achieve some sort of higher standard of life...some people would say yep do it work your ass off and never see your children just to have money and materialistic things. Take a step back, do a fors and against list on your own if need be. It is a gigantic step and the stress caused by making a bad decision can be just as life changing and not in a positive way. Perth is expensive f*** knows how we will afford it to be honest....but if we cant we can move state and find somewhere else. Australia is vast and I am sure everything will be ok...
Bottom line you need to talk about it with your family more...
I don't know if it was advice but hey ho! Good luck x
Old Feb 11th 2007, 6:47 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

i asked for you views and i am truly grateful for your answers.i know that this kind of thread usually ends up in a big slanging match so i am really grateful that it has been informative to me ,my family and no doubt others.

can i take it one stage further and ask this,,,i am sorry if it has been asked a thousand times but i just can not understand what is going on..why people struggle ..

we can use me as example if you want.

i am a bricklayer so i would expect to earn on average $1500 per week.
would the stoppages from that at worst $500

so that leaves after tax/getting to work $1000.

what does the other $1000 go on.

mortgage payments on say $350
$250 food,wine is cheap as chips.
what else,

as i said earlier ,i am grateful for your replies ,i am not questioning anyones answer.

thanks.

ast

Last edited by aston man; Feb 11th 2007 at 7:12 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

i asked for you views and i am truly grateful for your answers.i know that this kind of thread usually ends up in a big slanging match so i am really grateful that it has been informative to me ,my family and no doubt others.

can i take it one stage further and ask this,,,i am sorry if it has been asked a thousand times but i just can not understand what is going on..why people struggle ..

we can use me as example if you want.

i am a bricklayer so i would expect to earn on average $1500 per week.
would the stoppages from that at worst $500

so that leaves after tax/getting to work $1000.

what does the other $1000 go on.

mortgage payments on say $350
$250 food,wine is cheap as chips.
what else,

as i said earlier ,i am grateful for your replies ,i am not questioning anyones answer.

thanks.

ast
O/H fiecely private - but what the hell. These are out O/G at the moment in NSW:

O/H earns - $863 after tax so a month =

Monthly O/G

Rent - $800 (rent off my Dad so cheaper than most rentals)
Elec - $205
Phone - $100
Foxtel - $ 96
Internet - $30 (will be $60 in another 2 months)
Petrol - $320 (We run 2 cars)
Car Ins - $90 (for 2 cars)
Shopping - $1000 ( I am sure we spend more.....)
Mobiles - $50 (For 2 mobiles)
lunch money - $40 (12 year old....)
School fees - $170 (Catholic school)
Beer - $125 (Carton a week on average.....)

Monthly wages - $3452
Monthly O/G - $3071

Little things also add up which not accounted for, like last week - $50 for 12 year olds cont. to woodwork etc..., $5 for school disco, $31 for school photo, School disco this week will mean $10 for $12 year old etc..........ad-hoc payments not included.

So there you have it, we do get some money from Family Tax Credit which goes towards any shortfall in weekly outgoings and to family treats. We have had to buy uniforms, cars (x2), basic house furniture with our savings.

Hope this helps.

Nikki

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.