Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your tips for money saving and living on a budget in Australia

Your tips for money saving and living on a budget in Australia

Old Jun 4th 2008, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Your tips for money saving and living on a budget in Australia

Read the latest magazines for free at the library.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 6:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a bread Maker and make your own. Costs about $1 a loaf and tastes much nicer that the chemical shite they sell in the supermarket.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 7:27 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Buy a bread Maker and make your own. Costs about $1 a loaf and tastes much nicer that the chemical shite they sell in the supermarket.
My Mum has just given us one!
Haven't tried it yet though
Old Jun 4th 2008, 7:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
My Mum has just given us one!
Haven't tried it yet though
It's so easy I can even make the stuff! As long as you use the correct amount of ingredients, you will get good results. We set it up before we go to bed and wake up to the smell of fresh bread every morning.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 8:53 am
Wirral to Lake Macquarie

andy170773 is an unknown quantity at this point

you can make great pizza dough n a bread maker too, much prefer home made pizzas to dominoes crap, they are so bad
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by andy170773
you can make great pizza dough n a bread maker too, much prefer home made pizzas to dominoes crap, they are so bad
Agree. Foccacia too. We've had the machine just over a year and have probably made 200 loaves in that time - plus rolls, croissants etc.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:25 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

It's so easy I can even make the stuff! As long as you use the correct amount of ingredients, you will get good results. We set it up before we go to bed and wake up to the smell of fresh bread every morning.
Yum

I think we'll crank it up this weekend and give it a try
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:25 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Agree. Foccacia too. We've had the machine just over a year and have probably made 200 loaves in that time - plus rolls, croissants etc.
if you include the cost of running the breadmaker your loaf probably costs nearer $2 but it is still better value than the supermaket and the bread tastes sooooo much nicer (plus you can reduce the salt, suger etc)

i have never tried croissants i think will give them a go!

i usually get my recipes online - try searching for bread maker recipes - there are some great variations about (plus most of the big online recipe sites have a breadmaker section as well)
made vegemite and cheese rolls for the kids lunches today
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
if you include the cost of running the breadmaker your loaf probably costs nearer $2 but it is still better value than the supermaket and the bread tastes sooooo much nicer (plus you can reduce the salt, suger etc)

i have never tried croissants i think will give them a go!

i usually get my recipes online - try searching for bread maker recipes - there are some great variations about (plus most of the big online recipe sites have a breadmaker section as well)
made vegemite and cheese rolls for the kids lunches today
Croissants are hard work - we don't do them very often. There is a great shop on Waneroo road in Perth that sells breadmaker ingredients - they have a huge selection of premixed bread varieties. Good prices too. Disagree about your costs. A kWh of electricity is about 13c. The machine will use no more than a couple of kWh to make a loaf. So 30c tops.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:24 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Croissants are hard work - we don't do them very often. There is a great shop on Waneroo road in Perth that sells breadmaker ingredients - they have a huge selection of premixed bread varieties. Good prices too. Disagree about your costs. A kWh of electricity is about 13c. The machine will use no more than a couple of kWh to make a loaf. So 30c tops.
i have to admit that i am going off my last breadmaker which was a few years old but it actually had an estimated cost per loaf, cake etc. That said 50p a loaf ...

North East road in adelaide has a good breadmaking shop too ...
i dont use the premixed very often as i like to reduce the salt and sugar content in my recipes (cant take it out altogether as it does make a different to the taste) but there are some great choices in premixed.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:05 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
i have to admit that i am going off my last breadmaker which was a few years old but it actually had an estimated cost per loaf, cake etc. That said 50p a loaf ...

North East road in adelaide has a good breadmaking shop too ...
i dont use the premixed very often as i like to reduce the salt and sugar content in my recipes (cant take it out altogether as it does make a different to the taste) but there are some great choices in premixed.
Well this is why I love BE. Who would have guessed that we have a secret bunch of croissant makers in our midst. Lethal homebrew, I would have taken a square bet on but foccaccias....?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:36 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Well this is why I love BE. Who would have guessed that we have a secret bunch of croissant makers in our midst. Lethal homebrew, I would have taken a square bet on but foccaccias....?
Yes many BE members love the look of a nice pair of buns or baps.

Many of us like having a roll too.

Buzzy
Old Jun 6th 2008, 2:01 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy

heh heh...
Old Jun 6th 2008, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

Don't buy a new LCD TV, I bought an old TV Sony, but working fine and a flat screen, from the local junk shop for $85. Remote control and all.

Dry the washing outside instead of using the tumble dryer. Move to sunny Queensland and you save money by having hot water coming out of both taps (very freaky).

Supermarkets have a sale on food 1 hour before they close on Saturday.

Get solar hot water heating.

Don't use the air conditioning, rent a shaded house and use fans instead.

Last edited by bjddavies; Jun 6th 2008 at 3:54 am.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 5:55 am
sneaking a peek ...

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy

Originally Posted by bjddavies
Don't buy a new LCD TV, I bought an old TV Sony, but working fine and a flat screen, from the local junk shop for $85. Remote control and all.

Dry the washing outside instead of using the tumble dryer. Move to sunny Queensland and you save money by having hot water coming out of both taps (very freaky).

Supermarkets have a sale on food 1 hour before they close on Saturday.

Get solar hot water heating.

Don't use the air conditioning, rent a shaded house and use fans instead.
i think maybe that should read - try not to use the air conditioning ... believe me when the temp hits 40C no amount of shading and fans are going to do the job
on the flip side - as much as possible try not to use you heating either - although i have to admit that at the mo both the heating and the tumble dryer are on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.