Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your tips for money saving and living on a budget in Australia

Your tips for money saving and living on a budget in Australia

Old May 31st 2008, 10:54 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your tips for money saving and living on a budget in Australia

Any more tips folks?
Old May 31st 2008, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

Take up boat fishing, and save a fortune on you weekly shopping bill by eating fish
Old May 31st 2008, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Sounds good.
Are potatoes and carrots easy to grow?
I guess most people will be short of space to pots would be the easy answer.
I guess in Australia you wouldn't need a greenhouse?

PB - What are hydroponics?
Hydroponics is growing plants in water with liquid nutriants. Apparently it uses one 10th of the water than a normal veggie patch, and the yeilds are 2-10x more than in a normal veggie patch.

Potatoes are fairly easy to grow in pots. Most things if you do a bit of googling you will see what size pot they will need. Or just give it a go and see how they do.
There arn't many greenhouses around here, but I have seen some.
Our rental also has a couple of orange trees, olive trees and a lemon tree, so you might get lucky and have some food already growing for you.
Old May 31st 2008, 10:59 am
where is my gold ticket!!

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all

hiya ,
good Thread,

we are a family 6 children and 2 adults, we as a family survive on £25k a year , 1 wage hubbies i have been a stay at home mum for 20 yrs and yes we have had bad times, especially when hubby got made redundent when he was a telecoms engineer, he was out of work for 18mths and we had 4 children to feed and provide for and keep a motgage going, we did get into debt and it wasnt a good time. that was 7 yrs ago, we now are debt free , it has taken a few yrs to get back up tho, we know how to budget, we dont buy named food e.g Heinz we buy shops own cheap brand when you have to open a minimum of 4 tins for just beans on toast it has to be done , and the kids wouldnt know if they were Heinz or not to be honest, we buy loads of fresh fruit and veg, if he kids want a snack during the day they have to have a sandwich not a biscuit here or a sweet there, we do not have fizzy drinks either we have water or apple ,orange ,summer fruit squash , plus fresh orange juice and fresh apple and tomatoe juice, our kids love pasta and this is a really cheap meal with meatball, we buy in bulk for obvious reasons, e.g 60 sausages , frozen mind you, fish fingers biggest pack going, potatoes these are great for mash and is really filling and goes a long way, also you can add cabage to these for lovely little potatoe cakes, i have loads of things we do that doesnt cost us the earth, i think its a case of learning where to shop, how to shop and when to shop , also you learn to use things in the cupboard to make meals that have sat there for ages cos you didnt know when to use it or couldnt be bothered because you are pushed for time etc.

michell
Old May 31st 2008, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michell
hiya ,
good Thread,

we are a family 6 children and 2 adults, we as a family survive on £25k a year , 1 wage hubbies i have been a stay at home mum for 20 yrs and yes we have had bad times, especially when hubby got made redundent when he was a telecoms engineer, he was out of work for 18mths and we had 4 children to feed and provide for and keep a motgage going, we did get into debt and it wasnt a good time. that was 7 yrs ago, we now are debt free , it has taken a few yrs to get back up tho, we know how to budget, we dont buy named food e.g Heinz we buy shops own cheap brand when you have to open a minimum of 4 tins for just beans on toast it has to be done , and the kids wouldnt know if they were Heinz or not to be honest, we buy loads of fresh fruit and veg, if he kids want a snack during the day they have to have a sandwich not a biscuit here or a sweet there, we do not have fizzy drinks either we have water or apple ,orange ,summer fruit squash , plus fresh orange juice and fresh apple and tomatoe juice, our kids love pasta and this is a really cheap meal with meatball, we buy in bulk for obvious reasons, e.g 60 sausages , frozen mind you, fish fingers biggest pack going, potatoes these are great for mash and is really filling and goes a long way, also you can add cabage to these for lovely little potatoe cakes, i have loads of things we do that doesnt cost us the earth, i think its a case of learning where to shop, how to shop and when to shop , also you learn to use things in the cupboard to make meals that have sat there for ages cos you didnt know when to use it or couldnt be bothered because you are pushed for time etc.

michell
Absolutely Michell.

As an example, coliban potato's in Woolies (the only ones they seem to sell!) are about $8 per 5 kilo bag. I can buy 20kgs for $10 at the grocers just outside the supermarket - not coliban, but they are potato's all the same.

It's little things like that which can make a big difference in your spending.

There's not that much frozen stuff out here either, mostly fresh.
Old May 31st 2008, 11:11 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

This thread reminds me of Viz top tips.

Girls! Can't afford a holiday in Benidorm? For a cheap alternative, simply buy some sand, dump it in your garden, lie in it with only your bikini bottoms on and shag any bloke that looks over the fence.

Buzzy
Old May 31st 2008, 11:23 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
This thread reminds me of Viz top tips.

Girls! Can't afford a holiday in Benidorm? For a cheap alternative, simply buy some sand, dump it in your garden, lie in it with only your bikini bottoms on and shag any bloke that looks over the fence.

Buzzy
I wondered how long it would be before somone mentioned Viz

I loved Viz's top tips - they were the best bit.
Old May 31st 2008, 11:26 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I wondered how long it would be before somone mentioned Viz

I loved Viz's top tips - they were the best bit.
Bus Drivers! Do you have ambitions to be an airline pilot? Simply tie a rope to your steering wheel, place a brick on the accelerator and then stroll through the bus chatting to the passengers.

Buzzy
Old May 31st 2008, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Any more tips folks?
If you want to save fuel, slow down on the motorway. I found that by driving 10 k's under the speed limit, i.e. 100kph, I am getting about 60-70 k's extra per tank.
Old May 31st 2008, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I am doing a horticulture course at the moment and we are just learning about hydroponics, and it seems you can grow most veggies that way too,
Have fun.
And not just veg http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3Den%26sa%3DG
Old May 31st 2008, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Rocket01, I don't imagin that would save you much money, the lights are very expensive, and that is before you get to electicity.
At least you can grow veggies in the garden.
Old May 31st 2008, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

We have a Sunday market here with lots of local farmers and producers who bring all their seasonal produce. The stuff in season is so abundant that prices are very competitive. Very fresh too.

Last edited by quercus; May 31st 2008 at 11:48 am. Reason: sp
Old May 31st 2008, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
If you want to save fuel, slow down on the motorway. I found that by driving 10 k's under the speed limit, i.e. 100kph, I am getting about 60-70 k's extra per tank.

That explains a LOT!!
Old May 31st 2008, 1:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If you can find the time, don't do all you shopping in a supermarket. Get fruit and veg from a fruit barn/market type place or a farmers market. Fresher, tastier and cheaper. Get your meat from a butcher, less wastage, shrinkage etc. You would likely have a meat wholesaler somewhere close, use them, good meat, larger quantities, fill up the freezer.

I'm always amazed at the milk people buy. 2 litres of bog standard real milk in my local market is $2.05. Pauls stuff or even Coles with a prettier label than than the homebrand one is a good dollar more expensive. It's milk, it's come from a cow and been pasteurized! What's the difference? It's snobbishness at the end of the day.

Supermarket own brand for many items is the same stuff as the so called quality labels but half the price.

Best advice is, when you get here, every time you shop try a different place - even branches of Coles within a 10km radius have different prices. Also buy one thing you've not heard of before in each shop. That way you find what you like and don't like relatively cheaply.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Any more tips folks?
Our local butcher seems to have a bit of a sale on Saturdays between 4 and 5, buy more than you need and freeze.

Have also found a local veg farm shop, it is seasonal, very fresh and dirt cheap too.

As others have said you need to shop round, in the short time we have been here, I shop at, at least 5 shops to get what I need, but it keeps the costs down and with three growing kids it all helps.

Also ask questions, I only know about the local butcher by talking to someone I met, and the veg farm shop from an Australian lady in Aldi, I was talking to the friend I was with about a basil and chili dip from another farm shop type place and this Australian asked where I was talking about, I told her and in return she shared this local farm shop, well its not really a shop but a tin hut, and don't forget the wellies for the dirt track, but who cares.

When you know where you are going to live, talk to the locals, it is amazing what you can learn, even petrol, it is cheaper to buy petrol here on a Monday and Tuesday apparently

You will be fine, I used to budget and plan meals in the UK and do the same here.

Tracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.