Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your thoughts please on Redcliffe, D Bay, Scarborough and surrounding areas

Your thoughts please on Redcliffe, D Bay, Scarborough and surrounding areas

Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:11 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute
Default Your thoughts please on Redcliffe, D Bay, Scarborough and surrounding areas

Hi All

We are currently living in Redland Bay, but have been up to the Redcliffe area and really like it.
I thought i would ask for your opinions, and see what you lot think.

Your thoughts will be gratefully received.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:22 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your thoughts please on Redcliffe, D Bay, Scarborough and surrounding areas

Another one of those threads guaranteed to cause controversy and argument LOL

We live on the outskirts of Deception Bay on a new estate. Although not where we ultimatley want to be (the estate, not the area) we've found it to be what we want. You will get others (Amazulu in particular) whi will tell you it's the biggest sh*t hole in the universe etc etc but generally, the area is clean and tidy, Redcliffe is making the effort to be what it can be and is developing. The Lagoon, contrary to poular belief, is very nice and well looked after, some good beaches with plenty of space for BBQs etc. It's close enough to Brisbane to make getting there eay, and also good access to the Sunshine Coast which we prefer to the Gold Coast. Not for any other reason than personal preference, I'm sure the Gold Coast has everything that people want from it. Like everywhere, there will be good and bad points. We haven't found a particular downside to living here, as I said, it's more of what we were looking for in terms of area than Southside. We are looking to move into our own place asap and that will be up this way, altough maybe a little more inland (we're both more lakes and mountains than beach people). I'm sure some people will abuse you for you (possible) decision to move here, as surely as some will congratulate you. Listen to all of it and do what you want is my motto lol. I'm sure you could be happy here, where some can not. Everyone will have advice, but at the end of the day, if you like it and it 'feels' right - do it.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 11:58 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Your thoughts please on Redcliffe, D Bay, Scarborough and surrounding areas

Suttons Beach and the lagoon are very nice. We nip up their occasionally.

Many opinions are from a few years ago, but the area seems to be changing from what it was.

If they could move Suttons Beach and the Lagoon down here, it would be perfect

Old Jan 21st 2006, 7:23 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Your thoughts please on Redcliffe, D Bay, Scarborough and surrounding areas

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Another one of those threads guaranteed to cause controversy and argument LOL

We live on the outskirts of Deception Bay on a new estate. Although not where we ultimatley want to be (the estate, not the area) we've found it to be what we want. You will get others (Amazulu in particular) whi will tell you it's the biggest sh*t hole in the universe etc etc but generally, the area is clean and tidy, Redcliffe is making the effort to be what it can be and is developing.
What do people consider to be wrong with Deception bay? We visited the area in 2004 on a sort of recce trip and it looked OK?

Is there some underlying issue we don't know about?

And how would you commute from there easiest?

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Jan 21st 2006, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with 232, this thread comes up often and causes all sorts of problems.

I think its a place you either love or hate, the only way of knowing will be by visiting the area.

Personally I will be going up there shortly after arriving at BNE to give it a good scout, as I fancy northside Brisbane for a location.

I will comment more when I get there.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 10:19 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

In the past it has been a bit run-down, but the council have done a lot to clean it up and bring money/people/tourism/commerce to the area. Like everywhere, I am sure there are some bad bits (of course Perth doesn't have any of those!!) but in general terms it is quite a nice area. Not bustling with nightlife on the doorstep, but some good clubs inthe area, and a few bars in Scarborough. Commuting - I can be on the bruce highway in under 5 mins and at work in Eagle Farm inside 1/2 hour. If you're going to work in the city, good rail links at Petrie, Dakabin, Narangba, Morayfield etc. Narangba to Bris Central Stn - 40 mins (and very cheap compared to UK). As I have said many times before, it is not to everyones taste, but we have found it to be ok. We won't stay on the estate where we are, but that is beacuse we don't like living on an estate (we never lived on one in the UK either), not because of any fault of the area. Give it a fair go - you might just find you like it.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 11:39 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Your thoughts please on Redcliffe, D Bay, Scarborough and surrounding areas

In the past it has been a bit run-down, but the council have done a lot to clean it up and bring money/people/tourism/commerce to the area. Like everywhere, I am sure there are some bad bits (of course Perth doesn't have any of those!!) but in general terms it is quite a nice area. Not bustling with nightlife on the doorstep, but some good clubs inthe area, and a few bars in Scarborough. Commuting - I can be on the bruce highway in under 5 mins and at work in Eagle Farm inside 1/2 hour. If you're going to work in the city, good rail links at Petrie, Dakabin, Narangba, Morayfield etc. Narangba to Bris Central Stn - 40 mins (and very cheap compared to UK). As I have said many times before, it is not to everyones taste, but we have found it to be ok. We won't stay on the estate where we are, but that is beacuse we don't like living on an estate (we never lived on one in the UK either), not because of any fault of the area. Give it a fair go - you might just find you like it.
Thanks for the advice - sounds well worth researching further.

btw, 232bar, is there any shore diving within a short drive of there or anywhere in Brisbane - I'd love to be able to dive fairly regularly without having to hire a boat!

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Jan 21st 2006, 10:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Thanks for the advice - sounds well worth researching further.

btw, 232bar, is there any shore diving within a short drive of there or anywhere in Brisbane - I'd love to be able to dive fairly regularly without having to hire a boat!

Thanks

Buzzy
I just asked a couple of the ones we were out with last weekend and they don't seem to think there is too much. I think you can shore dive off Moreton Island a bit, but then you have the hassle of getting there etc. The shop we dive with goes out almost every day (min 3 divers I think) and they charge $100 for a two dive trip.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 5:52 am
Victorian Evangelist

I just asked a couple of the ones we were out with last weekend and they don't seem to think there is too much. I think you can shore dive off Moreton Island a bit, but then you have the hassle of getting there etc. The shop we dive with goes out almost every day (min 3 divers I think) and they charge $100 for a two dive trip.
Thanks for asking! oops another thread hijacked by the divers!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 8:24 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to agree that we like Redcliffe, Deception Bay and Scarborough but in the long run may move out for acerage, but that is not because we have had any problems here have found it an ideal first place to settle.

Deception Bay and Redcliffe were run down a few years ago and for that reason people do give it some bad press but there has been a lot of new investment in the area and this is going to continue for some time due to the influx of foreigners to the area and need to house them all, Scarbough being the marina place was more des res. Have met loads of Brits who have moved to this side of Brisbane since I started work as they have found it met there needs and not being the in place you got better house for your dosh.

Plus side for us is this end is nearer sunshine coast which is lot more chilled out and not Blackpool style tourist trap like Gold Coast and has a lot more nice green areas. Deception Bay itself does have the mud flat but just around the corner is Redcliffe Beach and numerous other beaches leading up to Hornibrook Bridge to Brisbane.

We have found state school to be very good where we are and have heard similar from others, my son goes to very good primary called,http://www.moredownss.qld.edu.au/. Smallish but lots of good things going on at it. Can definitely recommend it.

If you are going to rent in Deception Bay up in North Rise is good, new estate we pay $1200 month with fans and aircon through www.ozinvest.com.au all arranged from the UK deposits payed on arrival.

Quite a few nice new houses up for sale where owner builders have built to sell, so brand new or only a few months old. North Rise is only 1 mile from the Bruce Highway for travel to work etc.. There is Train Station at Narangba, Morayfield and Caboolture on other side of the Bruce Highway from Deception Bay as Deception Bay itself is not on the train line.

You are more likely to get an acre to acre + plot around the outskirts of these areas see http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...=qfp&cu=&t=res near Caboolture. If you still preferred Deception Bay you would need to get to the train station by bus or taxi first if you don't have car, but even these aren’t as expensive as UK ones.

Redcliffe itself slightly more built up than Deception Bay. Loads of new houses to buy or rent in Mango Hill and North Lakes area which tend to be posher and bigger but will up the price. They have lakes and more little kid swing parks but houses very similar to here and prices go up for buying and rent and no train line there either. This area is being heavily housed and will be bigger than Caloundra by the time they finish all new estates, so will be plenty of rentals.

Other side of the Bruce Highway is much cheaper and more out in the sticks/countrified. We have everything we need local here and have found lots of nice local places to go, nice restaurants etc. Free lagoon at Redcliffe very similar to one at South Bank Brisbane big, stinger free, no sharks and warm with changing rooms and showers and free lifeguards.

Train return ticket from Narrangba to Brisbane only $14 and that gets you free city cat once there as well.
Near by places approx times to Brisbane Centre 30 mins Bribie island only 30 mins, Caloundra with Kings Beach only 40 mins away Maroochydore 50 mins and Noosa about 1 hr, Australia Zoo 45 mins and if you go twice can get in for a year for free. Lots of good diving local and surfing if that's your scene. If you like boats big marina at Scarbourgh next to Redcliffe. At Scarbourgh good fish and chip shop called Morgans they sell cracking ones and have sushi bar and also next door a smorgasbord and proper restaurant. Nice Italian in Scarborough as well and lots of coffee shops.

Even though we may move out a touch to get more land for our money we would still come back to Redcliffe and Scarborough for restaurants and the lagoon which I think is excellent free entertainment for any age from toddler to old as is multi depth and considering it is bigger than a swimming pool and has little kids swing park next to it fantastic. The UK would charge 10 quid up over for same sort of thing.

ABC will do those photos life oh so busy!!! at the moment.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 8:39 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by annqldau
Have to agree that we like Redcliffe, Deception Bay and Scarborough but in the long run may move out for acerage, but that is not because we have had any problems here have found it an ideal first place to settle.

Deception Bay and Redcliffe were run down a few years ago and for that reason people do give it some bad press but there has been a lot of new investment in the area and this is going to continue for some time due to the influx of foreigners to the area and need to house them all, Scarbough being the marina place was more des res. Have met loads of Brits who have moved to this side of Brisbane since I started work as they have found it met there needs and not being the in place you got better house for your dosh.

Plus side for us is this end is nearer sunshine coast which is lot more chilled out and not Blackpool style tourist trap like Gold Coast and has a lot more nice green areas. Deception Bay itself does have the mud flat but just around the corner is Redcliffe Beach and numerous other beaches leading up to Hornibrook Bridge to Brisbane.

We have found state school to be very good where we are and have heard similar from others, my son goes to very good primary called,http://www.moredownss.qld.edu.au/. Smallish but lots of good things going on at it. Can definitely recommend it.

If you are going to rent in Deception Bay up in North Rise is good, new estate we pay $1200 month with fans and aircon through www.ozinvest.com.au all arranged from the UK deposits payed on arrival.

Quite a few nice new houses up for sale where owner builders have built to sell, so brand new or only a few months old. North Rise is only 1 mile from the Bruce Highway for travel to work etc.. There is Train Station at Narangba, Morayfield and Caboolture on other side of the Bruce Highway from Deception Bay as Deception Bay itself is not on the train line.

You are more likely to get an acre to acre + plot around the outskirts of these areas see http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...=qfp&cu=&t=res near Caboolture. If you still preferred Deception Bay you would need to get to the train station by bus or taxi first if you don't have car, but even these aren’t as expensive as UK ones.

Redcliffe itself slightly more built up than Deception Bay. Loads of new houses to buy or rent in Mango Hill and North Lakes area which tend to be posher and bigger but will up the price. They have lakes and more little kid swing parks but houses very similar to here and prices go up for buying and rent and no train line there either. This area is being heavily housed and will be bigger than Caloundra by the time they finish all new estates, so will be plenty of rentals.

Other side of the Bruce Highway is much cheaper and more out in the sticks/countrified. We have everything we need local here and have found lots of nice local places to go, nice restaurants etc. Free lagoon at Redcliffe very similar to one at South Bank Brisbane big, stinger free, no sharks and warm with changing rooms and showers and free lifeguards.

Train return ticket from Narrangba to Brisbane only $14 and that gets you free city cat once there as well.
Near by places approx times to Brisbane Centre 30 mins Bribie island only 30 mins, Caloundra with Kings Beach only 40 mins away Maroochydore 50 mins and Noosa about 1 hr, Australia Zoo 45 mins and if you go twice can get in for a year for free. Lots of good diving local and surfing if that's your scene. If you like boats big marina at Scarbourgh next to Redcliffe. At Scarbourgh good fish and chip shop called Morgans they sell cracking ones and have sushi bar and also next door a smorgasbord and proper restaurant. Nice Italian in Scarborough as well and lots of coffee shops.

Even though we may move out a touch to get more land for our money we would still come back to Redcliffe and Scarborough for restaurants and the lagoon which I think is excellent free entertainment for any age from toddler to old as is multi depth and considering it is bigger than a swimming pool and has little kids swing park next to it fantastic. The UK would charge 10 quid up over for same sort of thing.

Thank you Annaqld - all this is very interesting and I have saved the links. We drove round Redcliffes / Scarborough area when we were there last and imagined it must be one of the more expensive suburbs. Also we must have gone to Deception bay looking at the map although at the time I think we were lost!!!

Would love to have some pictures posted of what you have described above if you have some - would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 8:47 am

Will post pics asap... have been promising ABC for weeks but have been changing jobs so everything been up in the air.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 7:54 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau

Thanx.
Once again you people have come up with the goods.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:06 am

No probs...been down to Scarborough tonight for fish and chips and then for drive along to Woody Point ... while driving along thought dammmmm should have brought the camera as nice night for shots.