Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your opinion on these areas to live please

Your opinion on these areas to live please

Old Mar 13th 2007, 7:20 pm
  #1  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,424
JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Your opinion on these areas to live please

Hi

So anyway hubby is set on moving to Point Cook, don't get me wrong I do like the area with respect to our kids ages I think it would be suitable ( wouldn't be looking at it if the kids were grown up or we didn't have any)

But what do you think of these areas to live and also the rices of houses or Land ?

BERWICK
CAROLINE SPRINGS
FERNTREE GULLY
GLEN wAVERLEY
GEELONG NORTH
SOUTH YARRA
BURWOOD
ESSENDON
ROWVILLE

AND SURROUNDING AREAS?

just looking for ppl's opinions on these places VFM and school sin the areas ?

Jen
JenJen is offline  
Old Mar 13th 2007, 7:36 pm
  #2  
Sunny Sydney
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6,241
herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your opinion on these areas to live please

Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
Hi

So anyway hubby is set on moving to Point Cook, don't get me wrong I do like the area with respect to our kids ages I think it would be suitable ( wouldn't be looking at it if the kids were grown up or we didn't have any)

But what do you think of these areas to live and also the rices of houses or Land ?

BERWICK
CAROLINE SPRINGS
FERNTREE GULLY
GLEN wAVERLEY
GEELONG NORTH
SOUTH YARRA
BURWOOD
ESSENDON
ROWVILLE

AND SURROUNDING AREAS?

just looking for ppl's opinions on these places VFM and school sin the areas ?

Jen
Will be following this one closely Jen. We're still completely undecided as to where to go. We love the look of FTG and Bordy's done a good sales pitch on that area for us. A friend of mine is in Caroline Springs and she has described it as a bit "Stepford Wives" . I love the look of Berwick but the property prices might be too high for us there (actually, there's no might in it )

We have to move out of our house in 3 weeks and at that point all our furniture etc will be shipped so it'll just be us, a few suitcases, some old toys and the laptop for a few months so I expect we'll spend a LOT of time researching suburbs then.

Good luck.

Gill
herrchook is offline  
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:40 pm
  #3  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,424
JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your opinion on these areas to live please

Originally Posted by herrchook View Post
Will be following this one closely Jen. We're still completely undecided as to where to go. We love the look of FTG and Bordy's done a good sales pitch on that area for us. A friend of mine is in Caroline Springs and she has described it as a bit "Stepford Wives" . I love the look of Berwick but the property prices might be too high for us there (actually, there's no might in it )

We have to move out of our house in 3 weeks and at that point all our furniture etc will be shipped so it'll just be us, a few suitcases, some old toys and the laptop for a few months so I expect we'll spend a LOT of time researching suburbs then.

Good luck.

Gill
Hiya Gill

if you look on realestate.com.au for rentals in Berwick some are really reasonable I found a 4 bed for $280 a week??? or if you can afford a bit more and want a pool there is a 4 bed for I think $330 pw in Berwick, I like the thought of being near the dandenongs but also near the beach. An our two lots of Rowville friends - hello Arthur haven't heard from you for a while will be down the road as apposed to an hour away.

If any of you live in these areas it'd be nice to know what you think of them
Thanks

Jen

Hubby is set on Point Cook but I sometimes wonder about some of these other areas with a slightly more developed garden and bigger plots
JenJen is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2007, 8:18 am
  #4  
Take it easy
 
Shakmaty's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,182
Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your opinion on these areas to live please

Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
Hi

So anyway hubby is set on moving to Point Cook, don't get me wrong I do like the area with respect to our kids ages I think it would be suitable ( wouldn't be looking at it if the kids were grown up or we didn't have any)

But what do you think of these areas to live and also the rices of houses or Land ?

BERWICK
CAROLINE SPRINGS
FERNTREE GULLY
GLEN wAVERLEY
GEELONG NORTH
SOUTH YARRA
BURWOOD
ESSENDON
ROWVILLE

AND SURROUNDING AREAS?

just looking for ppl's opinions on these places VFM and school sin the areas ?

Jen

When choosing an area, I reckon the first thing you should ask yourself is whether it will be convenient for your work. The areas you have mentioned are spread out across the 4 corners of Melbourne, so they may involve long commutes to work for one of you. Anyway....

Berwick...not sure, besides it is a fair way out in the South East.

Caroline Springs...affordable, new estate, but a bit like the Truman Show.

Ferntree Gully...ask Bordy, seems great the few times I've been out there but I've always gone past it on the way to Belgrave/Emerald which are very beautiful, although I would imagine quite expensive.

Glen Waverley...Very built up suburbia, but with great schools, good local shopping and good road connections in all directions. Mount Waverley/Surrey hills is a bit closer to the city and perhaps even more livable.

Geelong North....is this in Victoria???

South Yarra....great but very pricey, even to rent. You get a lot more for your money further out. Without kids, this would be a great place to hang out.

Burwood....good area, along with neighbouring Ashburton and Ashwood, not overly pricey and close to great areas like Camberwell and Canterbury. Good schools around these areas. Of state schools, I'm particularly impressed with Camberwell Primary which is a dual language school (French) and has soccer as its major sport

Essendon...North West around an airport, and not too far from Tullamarine. Convenient for road networks, and some good schools around but a little too industrial for my liking. I prefer a little closer to the city in Ascot Vale or Flemimngton. None of these areas are that cheap, although they have a reputation from a few years back.

Rowville...a long way out East. Beautiful, but if you work anywhere near the city this will be a pain to get to. A lot of building going on out East so the developmant may be the place to invest, but a lot of it is still like the housing estates on Point Cook with not much soul. Don't know about schools out that way or price range of properties.

Sorry for rabbiting on....hope this helps a bit.
Shakmaty is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2007, 8:42 am
  #5  
Sunny Sydney
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6,241
herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your opinion on these areas to live please

Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
Hiya Gill

if you look on realestate.com.au for rentals in Berwick some are really reasonable
Oops, i was confusing Berwick with Brighton. Yeah, Berwick looks V affordable. We're put off by the commute from there though. That said, you get a lot more house for your $.

Gill
herrchook is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2007, 8:51 am
  #6  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,424
JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your opinion on these areas to live please

Originally Posted by Shakmaty View Post
When choosing an area, I reckon the first thing you should ask yourself is whether it will be convenient for your work. The areas you have mentioned are spread out across the 4 corners of Melbourne, so they may involve long commutes to work for one of you. Anyway....

Berwick...not sure, besides it is a fair way out in the South East.

Caroline Springs...affordable, new estate, but a bit like the Truman Show.

Ferntree Gully...ask Bordy, seems great the few times I've been out there but I've always gone past it on the way to Belgrave/Emerald which are very beautiful, although I would imagine quite expensive.

Glen Waverley...Very built up suburbia, but with great schools, good local shopping and good road connections in all directions. Mount Waverley/Surrey hills is a bit closer to the city and perhaps even more livable.

Geelong North....is this in Victoria???

South Yarra....great but very pricey, even to rent. You get a lot more for your money further out. Without kids, this would be a great place to hang out.

Burwood....good area, along with neighbouring Ashburton and Ashwood, not overly pricey and close to great areas like Camberwell and Canterbury. Good schools around these areas. Of state schools, I'm particularly impressed with Camberwell Primary which is a dual language school (French) and has soccer as its major sport

Essendon...North West around an airport, and not too far from Tullamarine. Convenient for road networks, and some good schools around but a little too industrial for my liking. I prefer a little closer to the city in Ascot Vale or Flemimngton. None of these areas are that cheap, although they have a reputation from a few years back.

Rowville...a long way out East. Beautiful, but if you work anywhere near the city this will be a pain to get to. A lot of building going on out East so the developmant may be the place to invest, but a lot of it is still like the housing estates on Point Cook with not much soul. Don't know about schools out that way or price range of properties.

Sorry for rabbiting on....hope this helps a bit.
No thanks for rabbiting on, I suspect that hubby will probably get his way but looking at the stage releases for land in Point Cook the plot sizes seem to be getting smaller so if and when we decide to buy it may feel more enclosed than the estate we're already on where we are actually lucky enough to have a large (UK estate comparison) sized garden. Some of the rentals i've looked at each week for that area are quite expensive and don't really seem to have much room out in the garden for my 3 little angels ( ) to let off steam.
Yet other areas seem to offer rentals for less but with more iyswim? more back garden sometimes a pool too which would make two little boys very happy.

Not sure I want to live on the Truman Show lol where we live now feels like Balamory with all the different coloured houses lol Though i'll say ours is mostly brick but with the upper front centre renderred in what was once white lolll

it'd be nice to have a happy medium between Point Cook and somewhere like Belgrave or Berwick. PLus hubby will be workign just West of the city and will do night shift so I don't really want him to have a massive commute.

Oh Will certainly try and get hubby to agree to look round soem recommended areas before we commit to rent or buy.

Jen
JenJen is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:02 am
  #7  
Take it easy
 
Shakmaty's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,182
Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your opinion on these areas to live please

Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
No thanks for rabbiting on, I suspect that hubby will probably get his way but looking at the stage releases for land in Point Cook the plot sizes seem to be getting smaller so if and when we decide to buy it may feel more enclosed than the estate we're already on where we are actually lucky enough to have a large (UK estate comparison) sized garden. Some of the rentals i've looked at each week for that area are quite expensive and don't really seem to have much room out in the garden for my 3 little angels ( ) to let off steam.
Yet other areas seem to offer rentals for less but with more iyswim? more back garden sometimes a pool too which would make two little boys very happy.

Not sure I want to live on the Truman Show lol where we live now feels like Balamory with all the different coloured houses lol Though i'll say ours is mostly brick but with the upper front centre renderred in what was once white lolll

it'd be nice to have a happy medium between Point Cook and somewhere like Belgrave or Berwick. PLus hubby will be workign just West of the city and will do night shift so I don't really want him to have a massive commute.

Oh Will certainly try and get hubby to agree to look round soem recommended areas before we commit to rent or buy.

Jen


If it's renting on the West of the city for short term (perhaps a year, while you look around for what you really want), look at Newport, Yarraville, Williamstown (said to be expensive, but this is to buy...rents can be found cheapish there), Ascot Vale, Flemington, Altona Beach....errrr....can't think of anymore off the top of my head....ask OzTennis...he's an expert on the West of Melbourne
Shakmaty is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:13 am
  #8  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,424
JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your opinion on these areas to live please

Originally Posted by Shakmaty View Post
If it's renting on the West of the city for short term (perhaps a year, while you look around for what you really want), look at Newport, Yarraville, Williamstown (said to be expensive, but this is to buy...rents can be found cheapish there), Ascot Vale, Flemington, Altona Beach....errrr....can't think of anymore off the top of my head....ask OzTennis...he's an expert on the West of Melbourne
I'm just a bit torn as we already have friends on the East side but will definately look at those areas thanks Shakmaty

Jen
JenJen is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:16 am
  #9  
Newbie!
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 183
Spikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to all
Default Re: Your opinion on these areas to live please

Hi, we're in Rowville and I really like it here. We headed here as my SIL lives here. The only downside is that there is no station, although I saw a poster in the library for a proposal for one in Rowville by 2020

My son goes to Rowville primary and my daughter to Rowville pre-school and I've no complaints about either so far. My son's teacher gave us the same pretty accurate (more or less word for word) assessment of him at parent's evening after just 3 weeks as his old teacher did in the UK so that was reassuring.

We originally thought about moving further in as my H is in IT and commutes to the city daily but housing is more affordable here and I haven't the heart to change my son's school again. I'm hoping once the new Eastern freeway opens next year that might make his commute shorter.

I love this area of Melbourne, so close to the beautiful Dandenongs but not too far from the peninsular either (again once the Eastlink opens it will be even quicker to get to some beaches)

SIL used to live near Glen Waverley and it's nice around there too but more expensive housing than here and places like Ferntree Gully, Berwick etc.
Spikey is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:53 am
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
The Crow's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: On the edge of the Dandenongs, Melbourne
Posts: 2,387
The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your opinion on these areas to live please

Hi there!
If you want to take a look at the outer edges of the Dandenongs when you arrive, just let me know. I'm happy to meet up and/or show you around
Rachel
The Crow is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2007, 2:48 pm
  #11  
lor
BE Forum Addict
 
lor's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Melbourne.
Posts: 1,130
lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your opinion on these areas to live please

Hi JenJen
We're moving from Mount Waverley to Rowville in ten day's time and I can't wait.:thumbup.

My two girls have allready started school there(four weeks ago)and we have been amazed by how quickly they seem to have settled and made new friends.

The friendliness of the other mum's to has also been great and although we haven't actually moved in yet, I've already attended my fifth coffee morning.

Speaking of coffee! Spikey or any one else out that way. If you ever fancy meeting up for a coffee and chat.Then just give me a shout.Lor
lor is offline  
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:44 pm
  #12  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,424
JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your opinion on these areas to live please

Originally Posted by lor View Post
Hi JenJen
We're moving from Mount Waverley to Rowville in ten day's time and I can't wait.:thumbup.

My two girls have allready started school there(four weeks ago)and we have been amazed by how quickly they seem to have settled and made new friends.

The friendliness of the other mum's to has also been great and although we haven't actually moved in yet, I've already attended my fifth coffee morning.

Speaking of coffee! Spikey or any one else out that way. If you ever fancy meeting up for a coffee and chat.Then just give me a shout.Lor
Well for those of you in Rowville if you manage to bump into my Aussie mate Michelle who has 3 kids, 2 attend same school and are nearly 9 and 7 then say Jen says Hi that'll freak her out lmaoooo

Jen
JenJen is offline  
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:20 am
  #13  
lor
BE Forum Addict
 
lor's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Melbourne.
Posts: 1,130
lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your opinion on these areas to live please

Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
Well for those of you in Rowville if you manage to bump into my Aussie mate Michelle who has 3 kids, 2 attend same school and are nearly 9 and 7 then say Jen says Hi that'll freak her out lmaoooo

Jen
Jen do you know which Primary they attend? As my oldest daughter is 7 and play's with a little girl(Rachel)who's mum is called Michelle.The odd's on that I know but it whould be very fuuny if!
lor is offline  
Old Mar 15th 2007, 2:47 am
  #14  
Newbie!
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 183
Spikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to all
Default Re: Your opinion on these areas to live please

Originally Posted by lor View Post
Hi JenJen
We're moving from Mount Waverley to Rowville in ten day's time and I can't wait.:thumbup.

My two girls have allready started school there(four weeks ago)and we have been amazed by how quickly they seem to have settled and made new friends.

The friendliness of the other mum's to has also been great and although we haven't actually moved in yet, I've already attended my fifth coffee morning.

Speaking of coffee! Spikey or any one else out that way. If you ever fancy meeting up for a coffee and chat.Then just give me a shout.Lor
Hello - definitely up for a coffee - which school are your girls at here? Will pm you...
Spikey is offline  
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:20 pm
  #15  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,424
JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your opinion on these areas to live please

Originally Posted by lor View Post
Jen do you know which Primary they attend? As my oldest daughter is 7 and play's with a little girl(Rachel)who's mum is called Michelle.The odd's on that I know but it whould be very fuuny if!

Me being thick here didn't realise there was more than one Primary in Rowville, we went there with her to pick the kids up though it's going back a year now (wow time flies) it's got nice big climbing frame out the back of the school and is it a boat or something to the side for the kids to play on?

Michelle's eldest is called Kathleen (nearly 9) little boy nearly 7 called Edmond

Jen
JenJen is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.