Your opinion?

Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your opinion?

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Nobody implied that she was 'bragging'!

what was the wink all about then? and the quip about limited funds?
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:04 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen
Ok so should be moving to Melbourne later this year, aiming for August but we'll see?

Had a rare deep discussion with hubby about finances over there - OOooooh bad move lol

Firstly any advice to help us get a better picture would be ace, cause been looking into loads of things.

We want to budget to begin with renting a property for up to $350p.w preferably around $280 for a 4 bed one storey (yep I have seen them on realestate agents website).

Hubby, me and 3 kids, anyone give me some idea of bill costs???? Just so I can work out how much if anything we'll have spare ????

Secondly we should be going out with just over £100,000 (would have been more but hubby kept adding to the mortgage so ended up more than the original amount (d'oh)

We are laning more towards buying a plot of land and building on it.
How do-able is a $300,000 mortgage over there????
Hubby should be earning $950p.w to start with ????

Jen

Jen the spreadsheet attached may give you some guidance

I have excluded at the bottom certain costs which may not be applicable to all. It also excludes things like cash and other spend which are more personal and not generic.
Attached Files
File Type: xls
Basic Budget For BE.xls (19.0 KB, 297 views)
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Jen the spreadsheet attached may give you some guidance

I have excluded at the bottom certain costs which may not be applicable to all. It also excludes things like cash and other spend which are more personal and not generic.
That's brilliant, thanks for posting that. I run a similar spreadsheet for our UK income/ fixed outgoings so was needing to get an idea for Aus too.

If you are a homeowner, are there additional things such as rates, council charges, etc?

Thanks
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:32 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
That's brilliant, thanks for posting that. I run a similar spreadsheet for our UK income/ fixed outgoings so was needing to get an idea for Aus too.

If you are a homeowner, are there additional things such as rates, council charges, etc?

Thanks
Yes I excluded those, but we pay on top
Water charges - the tenant pays for excess
Annual Rates (Council Tax equivalent) - sorry cant remember we paid in advance on purchase of property so got all wound up in solicitors costs
Housebuilding Insurance (spreadsheet only included contents)

There may be a few other bits and bobs I forgot to put down but if folks compare a line by line with their UK spend it should cover majority.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I excluded those, but we pay on top
Water charges - the tenant pays for excess
Annual Rates (Council Tax equivalent) - sorry cant remember we paid in advance on purchase of property so got all wound up in solicitors costs
Housebuilding Insurance (spreadsheet only included contents)

There may be a few other bits and bobs I forgot to put down but if folks compare a line by line with their UK spend it should cover majority.
Thanks for the info. Another question (sorry I don't mean to come across as nosey ). Do you just have one child? (trying to work out what's in the spreadsheet where you mention school fees, and also having a 3 year old, plus playgroup fees.) Are your school fees the equivalent of nursery fees?

My daughter will have just turned 3 when we get to Mel, and, since I won't be working, I would like to put her in pre-school a couple of sessions a week.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG I didn't set out to offend anyone.

I was referring to the house we had seen when over there last year and the costs involved i.e building it, plot of land, and more importantly getting some idea of estimated bills.
It wasn't a case of trying to flash cash if you knew me at all you'd know I don't brag and if it came across like that i'm sorry. I was literally just asking for people's opinions. An after watching numerous Wanted Down Under (courtesy of a really nice guy you know who you are ) The ones I saw were going out there with alot more money. Financially we're more than struggling right now and I don't want to repeat this life over there.

At this rate maybe I should unsubscribe from the website, sick of asking questions and offending everyone, it's just not worth it.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

I was referring to the house we had seen when over there last year and the costs involved i.e building it, plot of land, and more importantly getting some idea of estimated bills.
It wasn't a case of trying to flash cash if you knew me at all you'd know I don't brag and if it came across like that i'm sorry. I was literally just asking for people's opinions. An after watching numerous Wanted Down Under (courtesy of a really nice guy you know who you are ) The ones I saw were going out there with alot more money. Financially we're more than struggling right now and I don't want to repeat this life over there.

At this rate maybe I should unsubscribe from the website, sick of asking questions and offending everyone, it's just not worth it.
Hi Jen,

Re the mortgage, $300k will cost you about $500 per week which is quite a lot if earnings are $950. My 3 year old goes to daycare 2 days per week and it's $52 per day but the government pay a percentage depending on what your earnings are. Food shopping is of course different for everyone but in my experience I find that I usually spend at least $250 per week. You then need to add on electricity/gas/water/rates/petrol/car expenses/insurances etc etc. It isn't cheap to live over here by any means.

Don't mean to put you off, just telling it like it is. When we got here we thought like a lot of people, that we would have loads of money left over each week, but unfortunately the reality is very different to what we imagined. We only have a very small mortgage and still find it hard to manage and my OH was earning in excess of $1400 per week.

Jo
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Nope am definately unsubscribing i cant bear to listen to 'is £100,000 enough one more time', especially when we're going with very limited funds
Don't worry, I went to OZ with AU$5,000 in 99. Yes that was about 2,000 pounds at the time. It all worked out well. I did however set my expectations that I would have to work at anything. In the end I landed a job doing what I like doing. However I didn't have any kids and it was the gf and I only.

Just because you don't have that amount of free cash, doesn't mean its going to be harder for you.

Now I don't want to distrespect the OP, but what happens if they can't get a job for 12 months? What happens if you get a job right away making good month?
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 10:07 pm
Melbourne Australia

Dont worry JenJen, I go on the attitude of even if you hope one person its worth the aggro. Like ourselves you don't post to upset its just some take it that way.

Money issues are a bane in that it makes people emotive and judgemental. The only advice I have is for people to hit the issue head on and look at either increasing income capacity or ensuring expenditure is realistic for the income level they are on. It does not however limit you from having friends on different income levels now does it? Friends don't cost anything - bad karma does
Old Feb 24th 2007, 3:09 am
Melbourne Australia

Dont worry JenJen, I go on the attitude of even if you hope one person
hope = help

sorry had to rush daughter to toilet so didnt spell check in time
Old Feb 24th 2007, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

True Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to behold

Jen

OMG - you've had some harsh replies!!!! I know you asked for peoples opinions but I bet you didn't expect that It's a similar question I would ask when we're a bit further down the application process.

We've seen The Bears spreadsheet before and found it a Godsend. Sooooo detailed and informative. Whatever your family size, at least it gives you something to go on.

Sorry I have no information for you........... probably way, way behind you!
Old Feb 24th 2007, 4:50 am
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by Teliko21
$280 a week is possible out near where we are building for a 4 bed house (about 50 mins in train from CBD) but I'm not sure how doable that would be if you wanted to be further in. We are also currently rnting a 2 bed house in Newport for $300 a week!

Our total house build cost is about $240,000 and that is excluding the land which was given to us for free. (5 acres out near Mt. Macedon). You can get house and land packages for around $200,000 if you don't mind being on one of the new developments where you have neighbours houses right on your boundary line So I guess as far as the house build goes, you will have to wait until you know where you want to build to know if $300,000 will be enough
Hi Teliko

Your build is using a steel frame is it not? Remember seeing your floorpan a few months back - was it self build or from there design changed slightly for the large garage you and John needed?

My question is I have my own floorpan and are considering a steel frame and would like an idea of how it worked out cost wise?
Old Feb 24th 2007, 6:06 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so should be moving to Melbourne later this year, aiming for August but we'll see?

Had a rare deep discussion with hubby about finances over there - OOooooh bad move lol

Firstly any advice to help us get a better picture would be ace, cause been looking into loads of things.

We want to budget to begin with renting a property for up to $350p.w preferably around $280 for a 4 bed one storey (yep I have seen them on realestate agents website).

Hubby, me and 3 kids, anyone give me some idea of bill costs???? Just so I can work out how much if anything we'll have spare ????

Secondly we should be going out with just over £100,000 (would have been more but hubby kept adding to the mortgage so ended up more than the original amount (d'oh)

Jen
a $300,000 mortgage is gonna cost you $400 a week then there are your rates, utilities, insuranse for the house. then there are car running costs (im making an assumption that youll have a car) and day to day costs of groceries(family of 5 atleast $200 a week) then theres the kids schooling costs(books, uniforms etc). if that $950 the hubbies earning is your only income and before tax i think you will struggle to make ends meet over here.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Teliko

Your build is using a steel frame is it not? Remember seeing your floorpan a few months back - was it self build or from there design changed slightly for the large garage you and John needed?

My question is I have my own floorpan and are considering a steel frame and would like an idea of how it worked out cost wise?
Yep it is a steel frame. We just went with a JG Kings home and obviously one of the major changes we made was to the size of the garage We aren't at home at the moment so I don't have a contract handy, but I'll have a look when I get home and see if there are any figures included for the extra for the garage at least
Old Feb 27th 2007, 6:58 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Jen

Your OH's wages work out at less than $50,000pa and if you are on a PR visa you may well be entitled to Centrelink payments for being on a low wage , you may get payments for kids and towards your rental costs.

Dont worry about people appearing to judge you harshly - people sometimes dont think about the impact of their responses when they post a reply. They probably didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.