Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is your new life still the dream...or a nightmare?

Is your new life still the dream...or a nightmare?

Old May 6th 2006, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

KAYJAS will become famous soon enoughKAYJAS will become famous soon enough
Default Is your new life still the dream...or a nightmare?

Comments please..............Mainly like to hear from people that have moved from the UK to Adelaide. :scared:
Old May 6th 2006, 2:13 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is your new life still the dream...or a nightmare?

Originally Posted by KAYJAS
Comments please..............Mainly like to hear from people that have moved from the UK to Adelaide. :scared:

Tell you when we get there

July hopefully to Adelaide

xRachx
Old May 6th 2006, 4:05 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladywithatorch
Tell you when we get there

July hopefully to Adelaide

xRachx

We are hoping for Ad too but have'nt been to OZ at all yet going for a reccie visit in August. Do know a family that moved there last September and they love it.
Old May 6th 2006, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

We're in Brisbane,been here 3 months & still "the dream".
Do you have peolple to stay with when you get there? We came to this part of Brisbane,Ferny Grove,because we had a friend to stay with. It's been an absolute godsend! It really has made it so much easier to settle and "find our feet". The place is lovely,just as you'd imagine from the name Train into the city centre takes about 30 mins,so we're far enough away,but near enough,if you get me? Still renting,as we got 6 month lease,but will deff buy round here as soon as we can.
Things are more expensive than we thought & wish we'd done a bit more research into jobs before we came. Our original plan was for me to stay at home with kids til they go to school (age 2 &3 1/2) but now need a job to get the mortgage. Kindy will take up most of my wage,so will be a bit of a struggle til at least one goes to school.
All that said,still worth it,hubby is out on his mountain bike,up in Brisbane forrest as I write,& I'm just going to take the kiddies to local park for a few hours. Got friends round later for a BBQ,(our daughter was 2 this week),so
yes,loving the lifestyle & the people.
Old May 7th 2006, 12:36 am
Sye
Forum Regular

Sye will become famous soon enoughSye will become famous soon enough

Hi

Ive never really understood "living the dream" for us its everyday as it always was, apart from the weather being a bit better ( albeit im actually shivering at the mo bbrrr), and we have a better home.

Were in Adelaide over a year now, and its ok, certainly not a nightmare.

I would say the mistake that most people make who havent visited, is imagining that Adelaide is like the rest of Oz, like you see on the TV programs...which isnt the case! (not saying you are, just a lot do )

We like it, but dont love it, its a bit quiet for us, so we'll prob move elsewhere...It tends to be an ideal place for younger kids tho!

enjoy
Old May 7th 2006, 1:51 am
Just Joined

erins dad will become famous soon enougherins dad will become famous soon enough

I will be off to Adelaide early 07. Picked Adelaide due to climate, location, the fact it is a great place to bring up young children, and of course the house market. I am no city analyst but the house market in Perth is a ******* nightmare (1st choice), and Adelaide suburbs offer far better value.

Just need a job now, but as i'm a nurse I don't foresee a big problem
Old May 7th 2006, 2:39 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

not in adelaide, but been up here in Brisbane for the past 18 months.. and every single day I wake up thanking god I live in such an amazing place...

dont get me wrong, the country has its issues, appalling TV, racist "news" programmes, crap newspapers...but look past that to the people, the culture (yeah.. honest. culture is not just old buildings.) its a bloody great place to live...
Old May 7th 2006, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say either.

Australia is certainly a nice place with many positives. But I don't think it's anywhere near a dream life - just as I'm sure living on a Caribbean island probably isn't a dream after a few months.

But it certainly isn't a nightmare either. It's just a different place to live and if you like adventure and living in different cultures and environments it should be one you should chalk up!
Old May 7th 2006, 3:01 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I wouldn't say either.

Australia is certainly a nice place with many positives. But I don't think it's anywhere near a dream life - just as I'm sure living on a Caribbean island probably isn't a dream after a few months.

But it certainly isn't a nightmare either. It's just a different place to live and if you like adventure and living in different cultures and environments it should be one you should chalk up!

Have to agree with you on that! It's not a dream existance, it's life. Albeit it being a good life and much better than the UK, it's not perfect (and I don't think there is anywhere that is). One good thing is that it has brought us closer together as a family because we are all the family we have got (if that makes sense!)

Tracy
Old May 7th 2006, 4:15 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

I think it depends what people 'expected' from the dream. For me, even 2 years on, I still pinch myself. It's the simple things for me....lack of traffic, the niceness of people - even strangers, the weather. We had a great life in the Uk but never found ourselves saying "what a great day we had today" as much as we do here and appreciating it so much. I think we 'existed' in the UK - here we live life more, if that makes sense.

Sunshine Sarah
Old May 7th 2006, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

KAYJAS will become famous soon enoughKAYJAS will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tracey brien
Have to agree with you on that! It's not a dream existance, it's life. Albeit it being a good life and much better than the UK, it's not perfect (and I don't think there is anywhere that is). One good thing is that it has brought us closer together as a family because we are all the family we have got (if that makes sense!)

Tracy
My existence in the UK starts about May and ends late September. I find the winter months very depressing. Our town (Southend on Sea) is becoming busier and busier and we now don't even go out when its rush hour or Sat morning because it's one big traffic jam!! Even Sunday now is no different to other days of the week.
It's really hard to get a parking space when we do go out.
Is there a continued existence in Aus or do you only live for the summer months too ?????
Old May 7th 2006, 7:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

My existence in the UK starts about May and ends late September.
Adelaide winters can be cold and wet as well.

G
Old May 7th 2006, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

My existence in the UK starts about May and ends late September. I find the winter months very depressing. Our town (Southend on Sea) is becoming busier and busier and we now don't even go out when its rush hour or Sat morning because it's one big traffic jam!! Even Sunday now is no different to other days of the week.
It's really hard to get a parking space when we do go out.
Is there a continued existence in Aus or do you only live for the summer months too ?????

My Aunt describes Adelaide winters like being in a windy Morcambe in the summer
Old May 7th 2006, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

Been here in Adelaide for 11 months now, if the weather is one of the questions you are asking about, well i've not been too impressed.
Feels cold here today, have heating and fire on in main room.
Just gone and bought ourselves a electric blanket for night time.
The locals are always asking me how i cope with the Summer here.
For me no problem, it's the winter i struggle with, the homes are just not designed for the winter periods.
Old May 7th 2006, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

It was never my dream to move here. So I guess that's why it feels like a nightmare I just can't wake up from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.