Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is your mail all arriving from abroad?

Is your mail all arriving from abroad?

Old Jan 30th 2008, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is your mail all arriving from abroad?

Just wondering if anyone has had problems as in not getting their mail at their address in Australia.
We seem to recieve very little of our expected mail from the UK - eg from banks and relatives . It's only letters - not parcels (not that anyone sends us any parcels from abroad).

We managed to get a few Christmas cards this year but since then, other mail (from the UK) has stopped arriving. A relative rang us this morning to say a personal letter she had sent had been returned (from Australia marked 23 January) with a sticker over it stating four reasons why it could not be delivered. Can't remember them all, but it was marked as our address doesn't exist. Other relative has had mail - return to sender as well.

Our house is over 20 years old in a residential area, so it is a well established address and we have been here for nearly one year. Our relative checked our address with us and has it exactly correct - postcode, state, everything. Have no problems getting all our mail originating in Australia - even stuff that has been mis-spelt or wrong post code.

No luck getting any explanation out of AusPost helpline today.

Just wondering if we are the only ones or what anyone could suggest as to what could be going on here.
Cheers
Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:05 am
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is your mail all arriving from abroad?

Maybe you should be getting parcels from abroad and you just don't know it

Is your postie a trustworthy looking sort? Does he appear to have an uncanny knowledge of your financial dealings in the UK and is wearing a little more bling than normal??
Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:22 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penky
Maybe you should be getting parcels from abroad and you just don't know it

Is your postie a trustworthy looking sort? Does he appear to have an uncanny knowledge of your financial dealings in the UK and is wearing a little more bling than normal??
Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:24 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

May be worth getting a PO box at the local post office if it continues? I lived at a house once with some tricky numbering (two number 1's in the same street) and it was the way I got mail delivered more reliably in the past.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:35 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I can't comment on mail from the UK, so I'm no help there.

But I've get lots of mail from Canada and a bit from the US quite regularly. I have not had any problems so far and we've been at two different addresses since last June.

Most of our mail from Canada gets here in about 10 days, which is incredibly fast I think. We've also got a letter from Nashville once that only took 5 days! So no problems there.

I would talk to the post office and see what they can suggest. Maybe your relatives could take a picture of the letter showing the correct address and that it was returning. If you brought that in maybe they would believe you. A PO box would probably work quite well although I don't think you should have to pay for that when you have a valid address.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the input so far.

Our postie is great - really helpful and pleasant - not the bling type
Maybe he saves it for behind closed doors No - he is great and we have had parcels (originating in Aus) delivered by him too and he can even be bothered to come up our modestly long drive and leave them by the front door with the rest of our mail for the day instead of by the box at the end of the drive. Our rental address postie just threw them on the front lawn - including items of registered mail.

We have a PO box but had trouble with that too Nothing returned to senders with that one but a lot not getting here - again both personal and financial.

Either we have relatives who can't be bothered to send us stuff but pretend they have or we have a dodgy name and our stuff gets intercepted It's also official mail from banks and pensions etc we are not getting too though - very ad hoc.

If we do get something from the UK - it has taken two to four weeks, often 6+ and is battered and torn on occassions.

Yes - I thought about if our relative could scan the envelope and email it to us I could have a bit more to go on, but she has an antique computer, no scanner and no email/internet connection and is the sort who couldn't possibly put herself out and take it somewhere or to a friend and get it done.
Pehaps I'll have to wait for someone else to get it returned but how much will go into the void in the meantime?

Oh well
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penky

Indeed. If he's sovv'd up you might want to keep your eye on him
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nice

Were gettin our UK mail sent to OZ, it's then getting re-directed in OZ to our new address and were getting it OK (from what I can tell). Were even getting mail sent to an incorrect address in OZ re-directed correctly (the numpty @ HBOS who took the change of address couldnt get it right even tho it was spelt phonetically).
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac
Indeed. If he's sovv'd up you might want to keep your eye on him
I have more problems getting mail from other parts of Aus than I do from the UK, its also slower getting mail inetrstate than internationally!
Redirected stuff (from the UK to our old Aus address, redirected here) seems to go back to the UK before coming here but overall UK stuff, parcels and letters gets through OK. I also get parcels sent to my work PO Box with no problem.

Maybe try opening a PO box for a while to hold the mail, and that way you might find out if its a problem with the delivery person or not?