Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your life in Australia

Your life in Australia

Old Feb 22nd 2007, 8:22 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Your life in Australia

What are the best things about it?
Doesn't matter if you could recreate it in the UK or not.
What's good for you right now in Australia?
(No abuse please)
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:35 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your life in Australia

Originally Posted by Kapri
(No abuse please)
Whats good?; Well the fact that Deb & I are self employed here so can take time out whenever without upsetting an employer. We've only worked a couple of days a week since Christmas as we've been painting our house and doing other jobs around the place.
Now whats excellent?; The Barrier reef & quality scuba diving only an hour away. Top quality fishing only 1/2 hr away.
Fresh Seafood bought straight from the trawlers.
All the different types of exotic fruit that are available fresh from the tree [in season]
The stunning birdlife that live in the trees surrounding our home[Sulphur Crested Cockies aside ]

Sometimes it's just the fact that I wake up in the morning with sun streaming through the window, King Parrots, Galah's & Rainbow Laurakeets sitting outside the same window & think how the hell did a brickie from a small Lincolnshire village end up living in a place like this?
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:52 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Your life in Australia

Originally Posted by cresta57
Whats good?; Well the fact that Deb & I are self employed here so can take time out whenever without upsetting an employer. We've only worked a couple of days a week since Christmas as we've been painting our house and doing other jobs around the place.
Now whats excellent?; The Barrier reef & quality scuba diving only an hour away. Top quality fishing only 1/2 hr away.
Fresh Seafood bought straight from the trawlers.
All the different types of exotic fruit that are available fresh from the tree [in season]
The stunning birdlife that live in the trees surrounding our home[Sulphur Crested Cockies aside ]

Sometimes it's just the fact that I wake up in the morning with sun streaming through the window, King Parrots, Galah's & Rainbow Laurakeets sitting outside the same window & think how the hell did a brickie from a small Lincolnshire village end up living in a place like this?
Karma sent.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 10:00 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

(No abuse please)
Space,
Great house, great location, no mortgage,
My beautiful family,
Good job, good income,
Living in the best place in Australia, if not the World.

It's all good.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:41 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much everything to be honest. We had a good life in the UK, businesses, nice cars and all those material things that seem to "count" to most people as a good life. Like most in that boat it also involved working hediously long hours and having no time for each other or really ourselves.

One thing which moving to Australia did for us was provide an opportunity to completely reshape our lives and give it an entirely new focus and direction. Number one on our list was to redress the life balance. I guess with age comes wisdom, but Australia provided to us the perfect place to achieve what we wanted to.

Now - we've less money, much more time and doing things we actually want to do in a culture which understands that on the whole. Its bloody awesome.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:55 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Best thing about my life, whether in UK or Australia, is my OH. But if I didn't have him, I could go back to England... hmmmm, a bit of dilemma
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 9:01 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

10 years ago Australia was a great place to live.

I still have many positives about this place, but do believe the standard of living and the general happiness of people is slipping.

-House prices aren't affordable anymore in half decent areas.

-Interest rates are on the rise.

-Decent rentals are hard to come by for a reasonable price.

-Salaries haven't really moved with inflation.

-Howard has gotten rid of our work rights.

-we are experiencing the worst drought in 100+ years.

-High immigration rates have changed the feel of Sydney atleast.

-The rich are getting richer, the poor, poorer. The divide is very noticeable these days.

-Driving standards have dropped to poo. It's every as%hole for himself now.

-Traffic congestion is a nightmare.

-Grocery prices have gone through the roof.

-Just the general feel of dog eat dog gets depressing at times. There is no sense of community anymore.

-we have a PM who is Bush's asslicker. It's embarrassing to watch.

-customer service levels have dropped to shite.

Just to name a few.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Thirty five years in Australia...and I have never regretted one second of it
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09
10 years ago Australia was a great place to live.

I still have many positives about this place, but do believe the standard of living and the general happiness of people is slipping.

-House prices aren't affordable anymore in half decent areas.

-Interest rates are on the rise.

-Decent rentals are hard to come by for a reasonable price.

-Salaries haven't really moved with inflation.

-Howard has gotten rid of our work rights.

-we are experiencing the worst drought in 100+ years.

-High immigration rates have changed the feel of Sydney atleast.

-The rich are getting richer, the poor, poorer. The divide is very noticeable these days.

-Driving standards have dropped to poo. It's every as%hole for himself now.

-Traffic congestion is a nightmare.

-Grocery prices have gone through the roof.

-Just the general feel of dog eat dog gets depressing at times. There is no sense of community anymore.

-we have a PM who is Bush's asslicker. It's embarrassing to watch.

-customer service levels have dropped to shite.

Just to name a few.
Oh. come on mate, it's not that bad! Yes, things have gone up in price but you can still get what you want if you are prepared to work for it.
Howard's workplace legislation may not be perfect but it is better than what was in place. John Howard has done a lot for this country, much more than the labor lot that was in before.

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Feb 23rd 2007 at 11:14 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

LondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant future

Hey Cresta,

Im originally from Lincolnshire, wondered whereabouts you were? Im not in Oz, yet!

Sounds alot better than the UK anyway, i swear..this country is starting to scare me!

x
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 9:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I love that everyday I get to the end of our road and see the Ocean in one direction and the mountains in the other.

I have only been here 15 months but can honestly say (in the sort of words of a song) everyday I love it more.

I sit on my verandah, drinking my coffee every morning with a smile on my face. The UK was excellent and I loved it but I never sat and smiled every morning.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 9:31 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I love that everyday I get to the end of our road and see the Ocean in one direction and the mountains in the other.

I have only been here 15 months but can honestly say (in the sort of words of a song) everyday I love it more.

I sit on my verandah, drinking my coffee every morning with a smile on my face. The UK was excellent and I loved it but I never sat and smiled every morning.
Are you sure you're not adding something to the coffee.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 10:09 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

(No abuse please)
The people

The BE members who come over to give their families a chance for a better life.

The coffee

School is more how I imagined child education should be.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 9:34 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Some excellent posts there. It gives us hope that we are doing the right thing.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

My life gets better every day

I would not want to be anywhere else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.