Reload this Page >

Is your house for sale in UK

Is your house for sale in UK

Old Apr 30th 2003, 1:01 pm
jaz
Forum Regular

jaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is your house for sale in UK

I am not sure if our estate agent is doing a good job at the moment or not. We put our house up for sale 2 weeks ago and we were given the impression that there would be far more interest than the solitary one viewing we have had to date.

Is anyone experiencing the same, and is the market slowing down in the North now, as expected?

Any advice please,

Am I just worrying over nothing, how long should it take to sell a house up here these days anyway?

I know, I know, how long is a piece of string?

It is so frustrating though, and trying to keep it all clean and tidy during office hours, with a three year old and an eight year old!

Maybe it is just a general feeling of not being in contol that is the problem,

any advice, or just tell me to stop moaning if you like.
Old Apr 30th 2003, 1:07 pm
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

We put our house on the market 14 Feb and have still not found a buyer yet we live in a road that is in demand in our area! We have probably only had 3 viewings in the last few weeks. We were told that Easter is the busiest time!!! We are waiting for the house sale to go through before booking flights etc for the final move and as you can imagine it is taking far toooooo long! The market seems to be at a stand still. We have said that we will review the situation around June (i.e. what to do about the house if we still haven't sold by then) as having waited 18 months for the visa we would prefer to be on our way.

It is hard keeping the house tidy (we have 2 children as well aged 7) just in case that phone goes......

It is frustrating but what can we do?

Dawn
Old Apr 30th 2003, 1:11 pm
jaz
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply,

its not just me then. Maybe it is the market. Have you dropped the price at all?

I was thinking of considering that in a while.
Old Apr 30th 2003, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

garywarby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jaz,
As far as the housing market is concerned, I'm not so sure it has slowed, but there is definately more choice for the buyer, for instance our local estate agents at the time of our house going on the market had 3 properties including ours! This in the price range of 65-95k in Manchester. The first agreed sale fell through as did the second, we are now on the third, the surveyor came this morning, so heres hoping!We have had our 457 4yr sponsorship visa since Jan! Hmmmppff! We have been on the website since and there were 28 properties within our selected area.

Have faith,keep your chin up!!

Gary
Old Apr 30th 2003, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

geehaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Jaz/Dawn,

We've had exactly the same experience. Put house on start of Feb and have had maybe 8 viewings since. Also, our area has (historically) always been in high demand (Reading, Berkshire). I really think the market is cautious and the number of first time buyers has dropped due to high prices (25% less mortgages are goind to FTB according to an article I read recently). We're planning on heading out to Oz on the15th May so it looks like we'll have to grant Power of Attorney and hope the hosue sells when all the furniture is out....We do have a viewing booked this week so fingers crossed. Also, bank holiday weekend coming up so let's hope now the war is "over" people will start looking again.

Good luck,

Gee
Originally posted by dmf
We put our house on the market 14 Feb and have still not found a buyer yet we live in a road that is in demand in our area! We have probably only had 3 viewings in the last few weeks. We were told that Easter is the busiest time!!! We are waiting for the house sale to go through before booking flights etc for the final move and as you can imagine it is taking far toooooo long! The market seems to be at a stand still. We have said that we will review the situation around June (i.e. what to do about the house if we still haven't sold by then) as having waited 18 months for the visa we would prefer to be on our way.

It is hard keeping the house tidy (we have 2 children as well aged 7) just in case that phone goes......

It is frustrating but what can we do?

Dawn
Old Apr 30th 2003, 3:49 pm
I liek beer

DevMountain is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

we are in the same situation. We thought that the visa would be what we would be waiting for, but i think that it will be the house sale. Like most we can't afford to go without selling the house!

We have had lots of viewings recently but nobody has sold their's. Lets hope things start moving soon or we will have to consider dropping the price in June.

Good luck to all

3 girls aged under 6, iv'e given up and just excepted the fact that people have to realise that they are buying the house, not the mess.

Clare
Old Apr 30th 2003, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There

The houses where I live are quite sought after and surrounded by greenary,paddocks etc. But some are still for sale since Jan.
I have noticed that things have really slowed down here and that some people are reducing their asking price!!!
Jobs are a plenty here in MK but still things are getting slower. I think my plans may take longer than anticipated in order to go back to melbourne with my english hubby.

BooBoo
Old Apr 30th 2003, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

House prices have increased at such a rate that first time buyers can't afford to get on the ladder so are not buying, if they don't buy the chain stops.

Also there is a lot of caution over the hype that the property market will crash, so everyone is waiting to see what happens.

Market here in Cheshire is at a standstill and people are taking 5% - 20% below asking price. Then again most properties are over priced by greedy no good for nothing scum bag estate agents. !!
Old Apr 30th 2003, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

bozzy's is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Tell me about it!!!!

Our house has been on the market for 2 weeks and only 3 viewers. No offers though.
Our house like yours in is a highly sought after area. We can't really afford to drop the price but then again we cant afford to go without the money from the sale.

If the house was left to be sold by the estate agents, they charge for showing people round, as if they're not robbing us enough!

We fly out on the 11th July so time is marching on.

Good luck to all out there in the same position

Andrea
Old Apr 30th 2003, 7:03 pm
jaz
Forum Regular

Its good to see that we are not the only ones! We are prepared to wait it out for now. We might think of reducing the price at some time, but for now we will leave it as it is.

I thought that the visa would be the thing we had to wait for too, but I think you are right in that we will be granted a visa well before we have an offer on the house.

I am gradually getting used to the fact that I will have to wait, things happened so fast in the begining, and we were running round like headless chickens to get the house on the market before the easter holidays! Everyone kept saying that easter was the time most people started looking for a house, unfortunately they didnt look at ours.

Well, we will wait as long as it takes, and we are not going to give up! We really want this move, more than we have wanted anything else (except the children of course!). The longer the wait, the sweeter the reward will be.

Thanks for all your replies, its good to know I am not alone!

The very best of luck to all of you who have to sell up first!!!!
Old Apr 30th 2003, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point

We put our house on the market five weeks ago have had several offers and acceptedone for the full asking price last week!! But i did hassle the estate agents daily!!!!
Old Apr 30th 2003, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

delboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default is your house for sale in the uk

hi its allison delboys wife , can you please give me some advice when is the best time to put house on market ,someone told me to put it on after we have had medicals and have no news for 3 months or some say not untill you definatly get the visa in your hands bye for now allison
Old Apr 30th 2003, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

delboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default is your house for sale in the uk

hi its allison delboys wife , can you please give me some advice when is the best time to put house on market ,someone told me to put it on after we have had medicals and have no news for 3 months or some say not untill you definatly get the visa in your hands bye for now allison
Old Apr 30th 2003, 8:27 pm
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point

Well it's a relief to hear about other people going through the same as us, and I sympathise with you all. Our house has been on the market about 6 weeks and we have had 11 viewings but no offers. We have now dropped the price by 10k. Pretty galling, but we need to sell quickly. Our estate agent told us that things have started to pick up now that the war is over, and things should start to move soon. Properties in our area (middlesex) are selling, but slowly.This is definately the worst bit. Skills assessment, medicals, waiting for visas etc, pale in comparison.

good luck everyone.

Andy
Old Apr 30th 2003, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is your house for sale in UK

Originally posted by jaz
I am not sure if our estate agent is doing a good job at the moment or not. We put our house up for sale 2 weeks ago and we were given the impression that there would be far more interest than the solitary one viewing we have had to date.

Is anyone experiencing the same, and is the market slowing down in the North now, as expected?

Any advice please,

Am I just worrying over nothing, how long should it take to sell a house up here these days anyway?

I know, I know, how long is a piece of string?

It is so frustrating though, and trying to keep it all clean and tidy during office hours, with a three year old and an eight year old!

Maybe it is just a general feeling of not being in contol that is the problem,

any advice, or just tell me to stop moaning if you like.
Hi there,

It is a worry,

When we heard of the word ''slump in the house market'' we decided to go for it straight away,

We were the same trying to keep it mega tidy and perfect, bloody hard to do when you have 2 kids,

12 / 13 weeks, 2 views and the 3rd one bought, exchanged contracts Friday last, complete sale on Friday 2 May,

The stresssssssss,

Good luck to you for a quick sale,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.