Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your home can be taken from you

Your home can be taken from you

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 12:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your home can be taken from you

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Actually, Australian property law (Torrens Title that covers 98%+ of properties) is completely different from both the English and Scottish systems.
Fair enough - I'm not a lawyer. The basic point I was making was that you expect this kind of thing in places like Spain or France, not in ex-dominions of the British empire where property rights, laws and procedures are very strong - an Englishman's home is his castle etc..
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Property rights are a corner stone of functioning markets.
I was listening to a debate the other day on the radio about democracy and Islam, and it was saying that surprisingly large amounts of the Koran are about property law. As is the Magna Carta in the UK.

I mean forget about morality, it's all about property.

I wish I could find the programme again. Anyway, in Islam you can't charge interest on a mortgage. So what the banks do is lend you the money to buy your house, then you give the house to them, and then you are charged rent (*cough* interest *cough*) Until you've 'rented' it for long enough and then it's yours.

JTL
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 3:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I wonder if that happens much in WA?
Pretty common in Qld, can't imagine anywhere else is any different. Its one reason why I decided against buying anywhere and will stick to renting, even if you buy there is no real security if the govt fancies your little plot of land.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Pretty common in Qld, can't imagine anywhere else is any different. Its one reason why I decided against buying anywhere and will stick to renting, even if you buy there is no real security if the govt fancies your little plot of land.
I don't think it would stop me owning, but I understand your reluctance. It's obviously an issue in Australia because of the film The Castle - although that is for airport expansion and not just about padding the wallets of Asian property developers in their never-ending quest to destroy all of Australia's beautiful old homes.

I believe they're currently destroying hundreds of family homes on the new railway from London to - is it - Manchester. This is compulsory purchase as well. Compulsory purchase should be totally illegal except in the case of full-scale war. Anything less is an affront to democracy.

An alternative policy I would accept is that compulsory purchase and destruction of your family home can be allowed, but only if the main family homes of all the councillors who agree to it are also destroyed and parks put up in their place. That ought to cool their jets a little.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 3:51 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I was listening to a debate the other day on the radio about democracy and Islam, and it was saying that surprisingly large amounts of the Koran are about property law. As is the Magna Carta in the UK.

I wish I could find the programme again. Anyway, in Islam you can't charge interest on a mortgage. So what the banks do is lend you the money to buy your house, then you give the house to them, and then you are charged rent (*cough* interest *cough*) Until you've 'rented' it for long enough and then it's yours.

JTL
At the end of the day Mohamed was a business man.

The Islamic mortgage is a crock. It certainly breaks the intention in the Koran. If you're going to jump through hoops to circumvent it you may as well just ignore it.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 5:08 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
At the end of the day Mohamed was a business man.

The Islamic mortgage is a crock. It certainly breaks the intention in the Koran. If you're going to jump through hoops to circumvent it you may as well just ignore it.

How do they get on with credit card, other loans and the sort...

S
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 5:21 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I Wish us Catholics had as easy way to circumvent Vatican edicts on contraception other than Vatican Roulette.
Originally Posted by JackTheLad

JTL
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 5:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
How do they get on with credit card, other loans and the sort...

S
All types of Usury.

Go straight to hell. Do not pass go. Do not collect £200.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 5:50 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
All types of Usury.

You'll have to forgive my Koran knowledge - does this mean that using a credit card is out for a devout Muslim then?

Or can they use a credit card provided they make the full payment at the end of the month?

S
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 7:26 am
Account Closed

You'll have to forgive my Koran knowledge - does this mean that using a credit card is out for a devout Muslim then?

Or can they use a credit card provided they make the full payment at the end of the month?

S
From memory I don't think you're supposed to borrow or lend money at any time or to deal with any money lenders. So I reckon credit cards would be a no-no.

It's been about 15 years since I read up on it.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

S
I don't know the details, but from reading how they get round all the other rules about interest and borrowing. I'll bet there are Islamic credit cards.

I'll have a look because I know NAB recently set up an Islamic lending arm.

JTL

Google is my friend:

http://www.news.com.au/nab-to-introd...-1225734465168
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Were they not talking about just taking the land to give to developers though, rather than for infrastructure? I don't think that is common in qld?

Last edited by fish.01; Sep 23rd 2010 at 10:46 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I had a compulsory purchase order placed on a house that I used to own. It was only a 'one up, one down' type of cottage. The ones that the woolcombers factory workers used to live in.

They didn't give me much for it, just enough to pay the mortgage out really.

I wasn't too bothered about it as the area wasn't the best anyway. But my next door neighbours were extremely upset about it all. They'd lived in their house for over 30 years - all of their married life. Their kids had been born there and their daughter who had died 10 years earlier had died there. The woman who lived there was devastated, all the memories of her daughters life were in that house and she felt like they had taken that away from her. They held out for a long while, and were the last to leave the street. It was awful to see

This was about 8 years ago now, and last time I looked they were building a new housing estate there.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 2:38 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Your home can be taken from you

If you rent, the landlord can sell the house out from under your feet. There's no greater security. Of course, the government could also compulsorily acquire your landlord's house and kick you out so they can sell it on.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 12:54 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
not just about padding the wallets of Asian property developers
Phew, I was wondering how someone would find a way to blame it all on the Asians. Property prices - the Asians! Eminent domain - the Asians! Bent NSW politicians - the Asians! Congestion on the roads - the Asians! Seagull shit on my car's windscreen - the Asians! Burned my toast this morning - the Asians!