Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your help required please

Your help required please

Old Nov 11th 2003, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

lukebal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Your help required please

Firstly may I thank all those people that have come forward and offered to help provide information for their local area, your help is greatly appreciated and I hope that you will benefit from information provided by other people about your region. Also thanks for all the positive feedback. However, I feel I must start afresh, as it seems there are a few people with the same concerns about this 'database'. What I hope I will end up with is basically a starting point for people thinking about moving abroad and looking for information on a certain area. I must say that i can completely understand peoples concerns about giving out information over the internet, and that having thought about it myself I would be just as weary when reading a message like the brief one I previously posted. I apologise for this. However, I am still determined to continue to build this database, as it would be a waste of the large number of people that have gone to some lengths to help me. I have not yet created the website that all this cracking info will eventually be put onto, as I do not want to have something which has only fairly limited useful info for only a limited number of locations, as I do at the moment, and thus helping out only a very few select number of people. Also it seems that people cannot accept that i will not be charging people to access it, maybe i should! but no, as the only reason that i decided to do this was because of my own, initially bad experience of moving abroad to France. I was unable to find any real helpful guidance to assist me in my move and had a tough first few months as a result. Also.. apparently i have too much spare time on my hands, but hopefully it wont be a waste of time if I can in the end provide something that helps out lots of people, including myself.

To repeat what I have said earlier, the stuff I would like to know about is:

Any people that would be willing to act as a first point-of-contact to brits moving into their area. I know that this initial ‘english’ contact would have been of great help and comfort to me, not only when faced with the inevitable initial difficulties that arise, but also to give their experience of the surrounding area. I already have quite a number of people who have come forward, but together they do not cover any substantial number of towns or regions, and so again at the moment would be able to help out only a select few people moving abroad. However much or little information you are prepared to give is fine.

I also want any information regarding services in your local area. Any shops or services such as local language courses, clubs and associations, good supermarkets, favourite restaurants etc, basically anything that helped you in some way to settle in and that might help others in the future. Any details of things that you feel passionately about and would recommend to someone moving in near to you would be greatly appreciated. I believe that if you know about, and are familiar with just a small number of things when moving to an area, then it can make a big difference to that initial transition period. It can be on absolutely anything.. no matter how irrelevant or useless you think the information might be. The important thing is that the recommendations come from people living in the area and so are guaranteed to be actually useful references compared to those offered by commercial sites which are clearly not.

The success of this ‘database’ is entirely dependent upon the quantity of information that it holds. Clearly something that is very thin on useful information for only a few places will be of little help to anybody. I don’t know what I can say that will convince you that this is not a circular or something designed to create a mailing list, which I do actually hope to do in the end anyway!, but surely providing details of your local area, even if you omit details about yourself, cannot be all that risky (perhaps it can nowadays), but even if you just do this then it would be greatly appreciated.

Contact me on:

[email protected]
Old Nov 11th 2003, 7:58 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your help required please

ermm.....thonk you may find that exact service is pretty much provided on here!
dont think the administrator would be too happy to know you are poaching his customers!!!

just my opinion.....

sue

Originally posted by lukebal
Firstly may I thank all those people that have come forward and offered to help provide information for their local area, your help is greatly appreciated and I hope that you will benefit from information provided by other people about your region. Also thanks for all the positive feedback. However, I feel I must start afresh, as it seems there are a few people with the same concerns about this 'database'. What I hope I will end up with is basically a starting point for people thinking about moving abroad and looking for information on a certain area. I must say that i can completely understand peoples concerns about giving out information over the internet, and that having thought about it myself I would be just as weary when reading a message like the brief one I previously posted. I apologise for this. However, I am still determined to continue to build this database, as it would be a waste of the large number of people that have gone to some lengths to help me. I have not yet created the website that all this cracking info will eventually be put onto, as I do not want to have something which has only fairly limited useful info for only a limited number of locations, as I do at the moment, and thus helping out only a very few select number of people. Also it seems that people cannot accept that i will not be charging people to access it, maybe i should! but no, as the only reason that i decided to do this was because of my own, initially bad experience of moving abroad to France. I was unable to find any real helpful guidance to assist me in my move and had a tough first few months as a result. Also.. apparently i have too much spare time on my hands, but hopefully it wont be a waste of time if I can in the end provide something that helps out lots of people, including myself.

To repeat what I have said earlier, the stuff I would like to know about is:

Any people that would be willing to act as a first point-of-contact to brits moving into their area. I know that this initial ‘english’ contact would have been of great help and comfort to me, not only when faced with the inevitable initial difficulties that arise, but also to give their experience of the surrounding area. I already have quite a number of people who have come forward, but together they do not cover any substantial number of towns or regions, and so again at the moment would be able to help out only a select few people moving abroad. However much or little information you are prepared to give is fine.

I also want any information regarding services in your local area. Any shops or services such as local language courses, clubs and associations, good supermarkets, favourite restaurants etc, basically anything that helped you in some way to settle in and that might help others in the future. Any details of things that you feel passionately about and would recommend to someone moving in near to you would be greatly appreciated. I believe that if you know about, and are familiar with just a small number of things when moving to an area, then it can make a big difference to that initial transition period. It can be on absolutely anything.. no matter how irrelevant or useless you think the information might be. The important thing is that the recommendations come from people living in the area and so are guaranteed to be actually useful references compared to those offered by commercial sites which are clearly not.

The success of this ‘database’ is entirely dependent upon the quantity of information that it holds. Clearly something that is very thin on useful information for only a few places will be of little help to anybody. I don’t know what I can say that will convince you that this is not a circular or something designed to create a mailing list, which I do actually hope to do in the end anyway!, but surely providing details of your local area, even if you omit details about yourself, cannot be all that risky (perhaps it can nowadays), but even if you just do this then it would be greatly appreciated.

Contact me on:

[email protected]
Old Nov 11th 2003, 8:00 pm
WBB

Default Re: Your help required please

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
ermm.....thonk you may find that exact service is pretty much provided on here!
dont think the administrator would be too happy to know you are poaching his customers!!!

just my opinion.....

sue
seconded here.

no offence but i get all the help i need on this site.

Old Nov 11th 2003, 9:19 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Me too