Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your favourite bits of Australia........

Your favourite bits of Australia........

Old Jan 26th 2016, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your favourite bits of Australia........

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hope you enjoy it, I remember it being amazingly tranquil
Tranquil it was though slightly overrated. The Ocean Beach was something special I thought and the drive between Queenstown and Derwent Bridge is something else except ....... ok I know its a World Heritage area but that drive stinks as a road trip. There's no where to pull off the road and have a break, a good view of the scenery, or just to enjoy the general beauty which is one of the criteria to make something a World Heritage area.

I know the tree huggers will jump up and down about this but how about a few side trips off that road, perhaps to a lookout at the top of the mountain or a drive down to a stream or river. Ok there's the Nelson Falls stop but 80kms of road in one of the most beautiful places around and that's it .... one stop.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I have a favourite, been lucky enough to surf and race all over Oz (except Tasmania, strangely). Lots of places have there appeal (or otherwise) but I think my favourite non-coastal place is Bright in Victoria, I've races there for many years and love that little town and it's surrounds.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 12:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Tranquil it was though slightly overrated. The Ocean Beach was something special I thought and the drive between Queenstown and Derwent Bridge is something else except ....... ok I know its a World Heritage area but that drive stinks as a road trip. There's no where to pull off the road and have a break, a good view of the scenery, or just to enjoy the general beauty which is one of the criteria to make something a World Heritage area.

I know the tree huggers will jump up and down about this but how about a few side trips off that road, perhaps to a lookout at the top of the mountain or a drive down to a stream or river. Ok there's the Nelson Falls stop but 80kms of road in one of the most beautiful places around and that's it .... one stop.
Would be a good idea, wouldn't it. Its such a stunning stretch of road scenery-wise. Did you go up to Lake St Clair - and walk round it a bit to get the real tranquility instead of the touristy area? That corner of Tassie has to be my favourite part of the world, I reckon.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Would be a good idea, wouldn't it. Its such a stunning stretch of road scenery-wise. Did you go up to Lake St Clair - and walk round it a bit to get the real tranquility instead of the touristy area? That corner of Tassie has to be my favourite part of the world, I reckon.
Yes. Took a walk around from the info centre. There's some great little beaches. I would have liked to trek further around the lake but time did not permit unfortunately.

The weather was great too. The locals are moaning about the drought but as a tourist it was great. Shorts only the whole time.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 8:56 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Took a walk around from the info centre. There's some great little beaches. I would have liked to trek further around the lake but time did not permit unfortunately.

The weather was great too. The locals are moaning about the drought but as a tourist it was great. Shorts only the whole time.
How long are you down there for?
Old Jan 27th 2016, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How long are you down there for?
Back now. 5 days in total. 2 days in Hobart then 3 driving over to Strahan and back. Well worth a long weekend. There's plenty of long weekend drives that can be done from Hobart. Roads aren't great but there's no traffic.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 5:54 am
Home and Happy

Back now. 5 days in total. 2 days in Hobart then 3 driving over to Strahan and back. Well worth a long weekend. There's plenty of long weekend drives that can be done from Hobart. Roads aren't great but there's no traffic.
Better start planning your next trip!
Old Jan 28th 2016, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Better start planning your next trip!
Yeah. Cradle Mountain and surrounds next. East Coast the trip after that.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:00 am
Home and Happy

Yeah. Cradle Mountain and surrounds next. East Coast the trip after that.

Bicheno is a good spot on the east coast, lovely little town and lots of penguins!
Maria Island is worth a trip too, if you get the chance.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Tangalooma on Moreton Island in Brisbane is pretty great with the kids:

Last edited by fish.01; Jan 30th 2016 at 1:46 am.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Bright in Victoria is a lovely little place:

Old Jan 30th 2016, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inner Sydney has some great heritage spots that I love:

Old Jan 30th 2016, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Country Queensland can be other-worldly and peace inducing:

Old Jan 30th 2016, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cairns area is just lush:

Old Jan 30th 2016, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I get a kick everyday from the beauty, history, nature and quirky-ness of streets around my area in the inner west of brisbane:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.