Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your experiences - how long to find IT work in Melbourne

Your experiences - how long to find IT work in Melbourne

Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice
Default Your experiences - how long to find IT work in Melbourne

Hi everyone
We are hoping to be in Melbourne by mid May and are formalising our moving budget. I am trying to figure out a budget for living costs until we find work. How long did it take you to find work?
At what point would (or did) you say "this is not working" and then moved (to Sydney for example) in order to find work
I would love you hear your experiences
Warm regards
Lynette

Just realised that I am being pretty vague - Husband is in Business intelligence (SQL server, SSIS, SSRS, .NET etc) but I would love to hear about anyones job hunt experiences, even if it is not in IT
Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:08 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your experiences - how long to find IT work in Melbourne

My husband works in IT and suggested that your husband looks at whirlpool.net.au
Good Luck
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:10 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lynette,

I think the market is in good shape - that's my opinion anyway, others have recently disagreed.

My exeperience is from about 12 months ago - it took me over 2 months to find a new job - but the market was in dire shape then, the job I got was the only interview I got in that time. Of course things have changed greatly for the better since then.

I work for a small IT services firm in Melbourne & we are actively recruiting - I believe SQL Server BI is on the list! And I could do with some .Net help that's for sure!

B
Old Feb 13th 2010, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends how good your skills and experiences is and of course how good you are at the interviews. Impossible to say really, things do move a lot slower here though, I once applied for lots of jobs, got one for 6months and then got a call from one I had applied at, they had only just got around to reading my cv after 6 months later
Old Feb 13th 2010, 6:37 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lynetteh
Hi everyone
We are hoping to be in Melbourne by mid May and are formalising our moving budget. I am trying to figure out a budget for living costs until we find work. How long did it take you to find work?
At what point would (or did) you say "this is not working" and then moved (to Sydney for example) in order to find work
I would love you hear your experiences
Warm regards
Lynette

Just realised that I am being pretty vague - Husband is in Business intelligence (SQL server, SSIS, SSRS, .NET etc) but I would love to hear about anyones job hunt experiences, even if it is not in IT
Depends on the level of the job, developers admin etc. quicker than management or senior management (less jobs higher risk for the co). Contract is usually quicker than perm. but generally market seems to be in good shape over the last few months. Also depends on how picky you are.. As a total gestimate I would suggest under 2 months with those skills in a non management role for a permy position and not to fussy about who you work for. Talk to the agents as soon as you hit the ground...

oh and don't worry you'll be right....

Last edited by silver; Feb 13th 2010 at 6:59 am. Reason: They'll be right..
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bcworld
Hi Lynette,

I think the market is in good shape - that's my opinion anyway, others have recently disagreed.

My exeperience is from about 12 months ago - it took me over 2 months to find a new job - but the market was in dire shape then, the job I got was the only interview I got in that time. Of course things have changed greatly for the better since then.

I work for a small IT services firm in Melbourne & we are actively recruiting - I believe SQL Server BI is on the list! And I could do with some .Net help that's for sure!

B
Permanent or contract? I believe there are currently only couple of SharePoint contract roles in Melbourne and with poor rates. Permanent positions are with consultancies, done the consultancy path and won't do again.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:05 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ossigeno
Permanent or contract? I believe there are currently only couple of SharePoint contract roles in Melbourne and with poor rates. Permanent positions are with consultancies, done the consultancy path and won't do again.
At my place there would probably be some flexibility on perm vs contract. If there is work available to start immediately then contract would probably be offered.

I'm not doing SharePoint work at the moment, but have seen plenty of perm positions advertised, yes consultancy work, or body shopping as they seem to call it here. Agree that a lot of the rates out there are certainly on the low side...although I think they're ticking up.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Get on LinkedIn and start networking. Worked for my other half and he had a position as we landed........but he is a returning Aussie albeit after 30 odd years!

He is also certfied up to the hilt - loads of industry qualifications for his area of IT - this definitely helps............

Last edited by itigo; Feb 17th 2010 at 3:54 am. Reason: Wanted to add more!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:52 am
Just Joined

Inspector Taggart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
At my place there would probably be some flexibility on perm vs contract. If there is work available to start immediately then contract would probably be offered.

I'm not doing SharePoint work at the moment, but have seen plenty of perm positions advertised, yes consultancy work, or body shopping as they seem to call it here. Agree that a lot of the rates out there are certainly on the low side...although I think they're ticking up.
There seems to be a few Infrastructure Architect roles and Security minded roles popping up around Melbourne. Business Analyst and Project work is slowly coming back as well. The projects are starting to kick in again at my place of work after a grim year.