Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your experience moving to Oz?

Your experience moving to Oz?

Old Nov 10th 2013, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Your experience moving to Oz?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
... or that the post does not come on Saturday...
I only found out about this about 3 years after moving to Aus, when I casually remarked to OH that we never seemed to get any post on a Saturday. He thought it was hilarious . In my defence, we never used to get much post on any day!
Old Nov 10th 2013, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almo
I only found out about this about 3 years after moving to Aus, when I casually remarked to OH that we never seemed to get any post on a Saturday. He thought it was hilarious . In my defence, we never used to get much post on any day!
I've long forgotten too...but then I don't remember it coming on Saturday in the UK either...why should it? Don't the postal service deserve an operational day off!! Businesses do.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

pome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of light

Our experience,, well we sold the lot in 2006 and came over to hit the ground running,integrate ,contribute and bloody well get stuck in . my wife has learning difficulties and my eldest was 14 with all those vitamins and minerals running around.not easy but hey. Im a carpenter, i initially thought id do a couple of kitchens the odd front door ,bit of skirting board........ no such luck it didn't take me long to be swallowed up by the mining industry .the remuneration is fantastic and life is good , the down side is time away from the family 4 weeks on shift and 1 week of ......... its not for everyone.the worst moment in Australia was a breakdown in the marriage some years ago, of which we've more than recovered. the proudest moment was my 21 yr old son buying his first 4 bedroom house with double garage. i don't think he would have achieved this in the uk. and my second son goes to a private school.... again something i couldn't have given him. if my wife had a profession and i was a sparky not a chippy well................ next year wed all be millionaires Rodney.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 9:45 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by roberta1980
Contemplating a move to Australia, at the moment just looking at our options and looking for some advice.

My husband is an electrician, I am a staff nurse and we have 3 kids- our oldest in high school. So what we are considering doing, is, for hubby to go over for 3 months, hopefully give him time to get his electrical qualifications sorted and get a feel for things and then we would join him. We are hoping this would make the move smoother for the kids and possibly be easier financially-we will be keeping our house in the uk and renting out until we are certain we are settled.

Our other option s to sell up and move over together with the profits from the house-argh, such a big decsion and not sure what way would be best-can anyone share their experiences?

Thanks

Roberta

We sold up and moved completely, we needed the funds from the house sale to get set up and believe me they are not long in dwindling. I would've moved back , after 4-6 months, but my husband said we hadnt given it long enough, so the house funds continued to dwindle and now we are not in a financial position (six years later), to move back. It also would make no sense to move back with the stage our kids are at (one in year 10, and the other in uni).

I am a nurse and it was easy at that time to get a job, it is still easy to get a job in private but more difficult in public. To be happy at work is EXTREMELY important to me. We were initially going to emigrate to perth, but felt we would have more choice of jobs in Melbourne and that the children would also have more options in Melbourne.

Six and a half years on its all too complicated to move back, but in my heart i would love to. So my advice would be make sure you and your OH talk and have a plan B if one of you cant settle, or if some other disaster strikes. I think not selling your house would be a lovely safety net to have.

Don't get me wrong, we are not unhappy, we have jobs, our girls are happy, and we have made some lovely, lovely friends, especially through my work, but it just aint home!!

Last edited by Margaret3; Dec 30th 2013 at 9:48 am.