Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your experience with condensation in containers and dessicants; products

Your experience with condensation in containers and dessicants; products

Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:24 am
I am not a troll!

Location: Yorkshire to Melbourne (2007) Melbourne to Sydney (2008) Here to stay!
earlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really nice
Default Your experience with condensation in containers and dessicants; products

Hi all, I am a lurker here - this is my first post! This forum is a real treasure chest of valuable info - thanks for all your posts! Shortly shipping to Melbourne from W. Yorkshire and have been concerned about condensation inside shipping containers. I am interested to know how much of an issue this has been for people. I am aware of silica gel, and wondering whether this will help over an extended period - did you use it and how did it work for you?

I did some research and stumbled on a specially-designed dessicant product "Container Dri Plus" from Sud Chemie, which can be suspended inside shipping containers and seems quite impressive. It is a German product but the UK distributors are prepared to sell to individuals. Has anyone used this?

The details are below.

I should add I am a lurker but in no way am connected to any of the companies or products referred to below!

The product is called Container Dri Plus. The manufacturer is Sud Chemie
There is a product info sheet on Sud Chemie's web site here:

http://www.sud-chemie.com/scmcms/web...d=6682&lang=en

Is anyone aware of any removals companies who use these products as a matter of course in any case? What experiences have people had with condensation?

The UK distributor is Bronwell. Here's my correspondence with them:

--------
We would recommend using either Container Dri or Container Dri Plus.

For a 20ft container we suggest that you will require 30-50 bags of
Container Dri to protect the goods for your 8 week period, or 3-4 Container
Dri Plus Blankets.

Prices are below.

Container Dri £2.50 each (based on 30-50 off)
Container Dri Plus £35.00 each (based on 3 or 4 off)

Plus £10.00 carriage and VAT.

Please note that delivery for the standard Container Dri bags is 1-2 days
F.R.P. but the Container Dri Plus Blankets is a new product and delivery
will be 10-14 days F.R.P.

We have also attached our standard desiccant sachet price list for your
refrence.

If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

Robert Beasley
Technical Sales Manager
Old May 7th 2007, 7:25 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your experience with condensation in containers and dessicants; products

Bumping for OP.

Buzzy
Old May 7th 2007, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

November11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the roughNovember11 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Your experience with condensation in containers and dessicants; products

Originally Posted by earlneath
Hi all, I am a lurker here - this is my first post! This forum is a real treasure chest of valuable info - thanks for all your posts! Shortly shipping to Melbourne from W. Yorkshire and have been concerned about condensation inside shipping containers. I am interested to know how much of an issue this has been for people. I am aware of silica gel, and wondering whether this will help over an extended period - did you use it and how did it work for you?

I did some research and stumbled on a specially-designed dessicant product "Container Dri Plus" from Sud Chemie, which can be suspended inside shipping containers and seems quite impressive. It is a German product but the UK distributors are prepared to sell to individuals. Has anyone used this?

The details are below.

I should add I am a lurker but in no way am connected to any of the companies or products referred to below!

Is anyone aware of any removals companies who use these products as a matter of course in any case? What experiences have people had with condensation?

--------

Dri Plus Blankets.

Prices are below.

refrence.

Regards

Robert Beasley
Technical Sales Manager
Hi

I have recently been speaking to shipping agents and one said that the one place he would recommend using silica gel is in a washing machine.

It is almost impossible to drain out all the water if the machine has been used and a couple of sachets in the drum can stop nasty whiffs and mould.
Old May 7th 2007, 11:43 pm
I am not a troll!

Location: Yorkshire to Melbourne (2007) Melbourne to Sydney (2008) Here to stay!
earlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really nice

Originally Posted by November11
Hi

I have recently been speaking to shipping agents and one said that the one place he would recommend using silica gel is in a washing machine.

It is almost impossible to drain out all the water if the machine has been used and a couple of sachets in the drum can stop nasty whiffs and mould.
We didnt use anything in the end as we ended up rushing our move. No visible problems of condensation. I put a few cushions in the washing machine to stabilise the drum a bit; perhaps they absorbed some of the moisture but it was fine. I heard tea bags are good for washers too.
Old May 8th 2007, 3:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by earlneath

The details are below.

--------

Dri Plus Blankets.

Prices are below.

refrence.

Regards

Robert Beasley
Technical Sales Manager
I also believe that wrapping things in plastic is not good for dampness, condensation etc. Which is probably why they wrap everything in Paper and cardboard.
Old May 9th 2007, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I also believe that wrapping things in plastic is not good for dampness, condensation etc. Which is probably why they wrap everything in Paper and cardboard.
I managed to get hold of a load of them little silicon gel bag things. You know, the ones that you get in a new pair of shoes or a handbag.
I placed them amongst all the family photos and framed pictures. Would strongly advise others to use them.
Karma please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 9th 2007, 11:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Not quite true. Any sealed environment will either hold in, or prevent ingress of moisture.

For the last 15 years, I have been converting the steel industry from the old paper packaging products to plastic film based systems. The plastic films are coated with VCI (Vapour Corrosion Inhibitor). When the plastic film is applied the inner space becomes a sealed unit and the VCI absorbs the moisture within it.

We now use film to pack coils of steel for deep sea shipment, and have far fewer insurance claims due to rust.

Pete