Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your experience of the citizenship interview

Your experience of the citizenship interview

Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Your experience of the citizenship interview

I got my letter yesterday to say I have been approved to become an Australian citizen. Nice feeling It took just over two months to come through after our interview. Hubby got his letter a few days ago. We went for our interview on the same day.

It says on the letter that most ceremonies take place within 6 months of approval. So still got a bit of waiting to do by the looks of it.

Katie
Old Jun 26th 2007, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

my melbourne will become famous soon enough

Hi all,we d our interview on the 7th May,and our ceremony was on the 22nd June,we didnt expect it to come so soon.There were 123 other peaple at the ceremony,i think our area(Casey)Melbourne has one of the biggest intakes for citizenship.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 2:39 pm
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Your experience of the citizenship interview

Originally Posted by gajjitt
Hiya we had our citizenship interview today.... But at the end I had the same problem, as your Mrs K, I have to wait longer whilst they check out my police record. Mrs Gajjitt was fine.

I don't think I've any need to worry as I've had a police check done recently for my work. So I think it my VERY common name which is the problem, there are three people with my name at work, such a real pain.
Hi well, I wrote the above email back in early June when we had our interview. Mrs Gajjitt's approval letter came back on June 6th.

I have to say mines has been SOMEWHAT longer!! Like try - 5 months!!

Have a look at this timeline.

28/04/07 Eligible for Citizenship
15/05/07 Filled out forms – and lodged.
01/06/07 Had interview – told I should wait 3-4 weeks for police check and 1-2 weeks for decision.
06/06/07 Mrs Gajjitt received approval letter
13/07/07 Enquired after 6 weeks – told waiting police checks – and “to be patient and wait – letter will arrive in next couple of weeks”.
27/07/07 Enquired after 8 weeks – told still waiting for OPC – promised that someone from Perth would contact me within 2 days.
09/08/07 Enquired again – had no contact from 2 weeks ago. Told someone from Perth would contact me within 2 days again.
24/08/07 Enquired after 85 days – told that still waiting for OPC – and FINALLY spoke to someone at Perth – case officer said “it was very unusual to wait this long”. And told that since I work at WA Police if there was "anything I could do to influence the clearance” he was happy (??). Immoral – perhaps?
05/09/07 Called to notify citizenship that I would be away for 2 weeks in UK. Also questioned why we are now at day 94. And to contact me by email for any queries and update.
17/09/07 Citizenship reapplied for OPC Onshore Police Clearance from AFP Australian Federal Police – did they apply first time I wonder? Only 108 days after interview.
26/09/07 Called again to find out situation. Was put straight through to Perth, Canberra advisor was not impressed with progress on the computer. Was told by Perth that police clearance should be back any time, as it was applied for on the 17th September (?). Told that my case officer had been on long-term sick, and that they’d reapplied for clearance.
02/10/07 APPROVED - Decision made - Letter sent out – not received by us!!?Police clearance and Citizenship Decision actually took just 15 days!!
09/10/07 Another letter sent out – not received by us!!?
29/10/07 Called Citizenship – told I had been approved – and letter had been sent out!! Another one has been now been sent today!
29/10/07 Spoke to Joondalup Council – they have us all on a list – WAHEY!Expect to wait about 6 months – so that is end of April (about 1 year since we were eligible).

Anyway like I said above Monday called to find out where the application was, and was told a decision had been made on October 2nd. They wouldn't tell me what the decision was (they only inform by letter). But then when I told them the letter hadn't arrived they let me know it had been approved.

Anyway I'm relieved that it's all sorted now. We may even get an Australia Day ceremony if we are REALLY lucky.

Cheers
Paul
Old Oct 31st 2007, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey Paul, sending you some k for that

Sounds like the sort of thing we always have... delays, delays, delays!!!

I actually had a letter approving me the day after they asked for proof of identity, apparently they'd pressed the wrong button and approved me, then cancelled it but didnt think to cancel the letter...

Let us know if you get your Aus Day ceremony, will keep fingers crossed
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:12 pm

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Your experience of the citizenship interview

Originally Posted by my melbourne
Hi all,we d our interview on the 7th May,and our ceremony was on the 22nd June,we didnt expect it to come so soon.There were 123 other peaple at the ceremony,i think our area(Casey)Melbourne has one of the biggest intakes for citizenship.
Wow!! That's 46 days from interview until certificate in hand!!! Wow!! That is amazing!!

Try ours, 123 days between interview and approval. Still have to wait... oh about another 153 days or so....

See my timeline further up this thread!

Nice one. Hope you enjoy your vote in the general elections!

See ya
Paul
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:30 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Wow!! That's 46 days from interview until certificate in hand!!! Wow!! That is amazing!!

Try ours, 123 days between interview and approval. Still have to wait... oh about another 153 days or so....

See my timeline further up this thread!

Nice one. Hope you enjoy your vote in the general elections!

See ya
Paul
Hi Paul

Your text spurred me into action. I have my test on 6th December so no chance of an Australia Day ceremony (unless I get a timeline like yours and then 2009's is a possibility!)
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by worzel
Hi Paul

Your text spurred me into action. I have my test on 6th December so no chance of an Australia Day ceremony (unless I get a timeline like yours and then 2009's is a possibility!)
Hi Iain,

Jeez that's a while off... must have had a rush on people going for tests. If you look at my timeline, between the time they pulled their finger out and rerequested my police clearance, it took them only 15 DAYS!!! to approve!! Someone badly cocked up, and I don't think it was the AFP either.

The interview is really easy, just a few obligations to answer, they're on the website, ya just have to remember them. Then they have to identify you, which is simple, all the usual forms of ID.

You've a 99.6% chance of getting approved on the spot like Louise did. Seems like most people do. It's just as soon as CRIMTRAK (the system they use to see if you have any criminal records under your name) flags you up, they request a police check from the AFP. The AFP take up to 25 days depending on how extensive a list of criminal records are recorded against your name. Then it's up to the DIMIA to resolve any issues, and to make a decision based on your 'good character', a minor criminal record doesn't mean you'll be rejected either.

Anyway the next chat we have on this should be down the boozer over a beer. .

See ya soon.
Paul
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Iain,

The interview is really easy, just a few obligations to answer, they're on the website, ya just have to remember them. Then they have to identify you, which is simple, all the usual forms of ID.
No interview if you sit the test