Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your experience of the citizenship interview

Your experience of the citizenship interview

Old Apr 24th 2007, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Your experience of the citizenship interview

Just back from our interview. Very relaxed, just a matter of making sure the paperwork was done correctly. The chap doing the interview stated that we had to have a close relationship with Australia, I nodded. He asked me if we understood the rights and responsibilities of Australian citizens, I said we did as we had read them on the internet. That was pretty much it.

He said everything was ok, asked us where we wanted to do the citizenship ceremony, and said we should hear in the post. He said there might be a wait as they have had a lot of applications.

Katie
Old Apr 24th 2007, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by KatieStar
Just back from our interview. Very relaxed, just a matter of making sure the paperwork was done correctly. The chap doing the interview stated that we had to have a close relationship with Australia, I nodded. He asked me if we understood the rights and responsibilities of Australian citizens, I said we did as we had read them on the internet. That was pretty much it.

He said everything was ok, asked us where we wanted to do the citizenship ceremony, and said we should hear in the post. He said there might be a wait as they have had a lot of applications.

Katie
So what are the rights and responsibilities???????????
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Is this a test LOL ?

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/becomi...y-should-i.htm

I hope the link works. I do remember them honest LOL, just too tired to type them out.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by glittababe
Hi Gail, hows Jam's and Paul? I was going to ask this daft question as well as ours will be March 2008. Actually I didn't even realise we had to go for an interview or be asked lots of questions! Scary! What if I fail - do I kicked back to the UK? Do they ask the boys questions? They're only little, Ollie can only just write his name! Right, I won't stress!
Hopefully calm your nerves a little more, it said on the info sheet I was sent that children under 16 don't need to attend the interview. They probably wished we hadn't brought our little one with us LOL.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Hi Gail, hows Jam's and Paul? I was going to ask this daft question as well as ours will be March 2008. Actually I didn't even realise we had to go for an interview or be asked lots of questions! Scary! What if I fail - do I kicked back to the UK? Do they ask the boys questions? They're only little, Ollie can only just write his name! Right, I won't stress!
I won't stress!
That is very unlike you Annie, my god it no wonder you are the size that you are, you seem to do the worrying for everybody in your house, take a leaf out of the kids book, RELAX chill and go to that Cafe in Eumundi.
Anyway our interview was a bit of a joke, turned up at the Post office to meet with the Manager, we were expecting to be taken into an office somewhere, no we just stood at the counter as if buying stamps. The manager asked a couple of questions ( are you settling ok, are you enjoying Australia) I had learnt every bloody word of Tie me Kangaroo down sport and he never asked me the National Anthem. He asked me what I thought of the Prime minister and I told him that Dame Edna was fantastic and she would be getting my vote. That really was about it so anyone worrying about it remember the famous Aussie proverb "She'll be right".
Old Apr 25th 2007, 1:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
So what are the rights and responsibilities???????????
A perusal of form 1027i (from the DIAC website) is recommended.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandy&Cliff
I won't stress!
That is very unlike you Annie, my god it no wonder you are the size that you are, you seem to do the worrying for everybody in your house, take a leaf out of the kids book, RELAX chill and go to that Cafe in Eumundi.
Anyway our interview was a bit of a joke, turned up at the Post office to meet with the Manager, we were expecting to be taken into an office somewhere, no we just stood at the counter as if buying stamps. The manager asked a couple of questions ( are you settling ok, are you enjoying Australia) I had learnt every bloody word of Tie me Kangaroo down sport and he never asked me the National Anthem. He asked me what I thought of the Prime minister and I told him that Dame Edna was fantastic and she would be getting my vote. That really was about it so anyone worrying about it remember the famous Aussie proverb "She'll be right".
Got that....Prime Minister - Dame Edna.........Queen - Kylie! Do I have to get a dirty old ute and have a couple of dogs chained onto the back? I'd really fit in then?
Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:25 pm
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future
Arrow Re: Your experience of the citizenship interview

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Mrs K & I had the citizenship interview today. All went well except their computer showed that there was a Mrs K in South Australia who was convicted of a criminal offence and they would have to check it out. The interviewer said I was approved for citizenship and I should get a letter within a few weeks.

My wife would have to wait until they made further police checks before being approved which could take up to 6 weeks before she can be approved SHe has never been to SA.
Hiya we had our citizenship interview today. They did all the paperwork, and asked us about our obligations and priviledges, which we reeled off, no worries. But at the end I had the same problem, as your Mrs K, I have to wait longer whilst they check out my police record. Mrs Gajjitt was fine.

I don't think I've any need to worry as I've had a police check done recently for my work. So I think it my VERY common name which is the problem, there are three people with my name at work, such a real pain.

Would be pleased to hear if Mrs K finally got her approval.

Good luck.

Paul - (wish my surname was Gajjitt instead of Clarke, would make life easier).
Old Jun 1st 2007, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gajjitt

Good luck.

She hasn't got it yet, it's been about 6 weeks. She phoned earlier this week and was told that if they haven't asked for further information it should be fine. I hope so as we are getting fed up with the black car being parked outside on the opposite side of the road and our post being intercepted and opened. The clicking on the phone is a pain as well.

Somehow I don't think having the surname Gajjitt would make your life easier over here.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 12:27 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

We had our citizenship interview booked for 26th of july but i received a letter saying that it had been brought forward to the 14th of june we do not meet the PR requirements till the 19th of july that will be our 2 years in Oz can they still do the interview??

Also do you lodge form 124 before the interview or take it along on the day??

Kezx
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 2:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kez81
We had our citizenship interview booked for 26th of july but i received a letter saying that it had been brought forward to the 14th of june we do not meet the PR requirements till the 19th of july that will be our 2 years in Oz can they still do the interview??

Also do you lodge form 124 before the interview or take it along on the day??
The interview must come at the same time or after you make the application. You cannot normally apply until you have the 2 years. Contact DIAC and ask them to keep your appointment on the previous day.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 2:07 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

thats what i thought i will call nxt week. thank you!!

kezx
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 2:16 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar
We have our citizenship interview booked for the 24th of April. I have read through the blurb on the citizenship website about the rights and responsibilities as an Aussie citizen. I think that is all the preparation we need to do, other than sort the paperwork we have to take with us.

I was wondering how other people had found their interview. Was it pretty relaxed? or more of a grilling?
I found it pretty easy and straight forward. I didn't even realise the rights and responsibilities thing until I got to the interview waiting room and read up on them while I waited. The interview was over in well under 10 mins, closer to 5 mins from memory.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gajjitt
Hiya we had our citizenship interview today. They did all the paperwork, and asked us about our obligations and priviledges, which we reeled off, no worries. But at the end I had the same problem, as your Mrs K, I have to wait longer whilst they check out my police record. Mrs Gajjitt was fine.

I don't think I've any need to worry as I've had a police check done recently for my work. So I think it my VERY common name which is the problem, there are three people with my name at work, such a real pain.

Good luck.

Mrs. K got her approval letter a few days ago. Now after 10 weeks it turns out she isn't a criminal after all! We just have to wait for the ceremony now. Does anyone have any ideas on waiting times on the Gold Coast?
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Got that....Prime Minister - Dame Edna.........Queen - Kylie! Do I have to get a dirty old ute and have a couple of dogs chained onto the back? I'd really fit in then?

That's the sort of thing my Husband would say at the interview

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.