Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your experience of the citizenship interview

Your experience of the citizenship interview

Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Your experience of the citizenship interview

Thanks. I hope the process is as quick for us. It is handy you were able to do your interview at the weekend. My hubby has had to book the day off work to attend ours.

I hope you enjoy your ceremony.

Katie
Old Apr 16th 2007, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs K & I had the citizenship interview today. All went well except their computer showed that there was a Mrs K in South Australia who was convicted of a criminal offence and they would have to check it out. The interviewer said I was approved for citizenship and I should get a letter within a few weeks.

My wife would have to wait until they made further police checks before being approved which could take up to 6 weeks before she can be approved SHe has never been to SA.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Kangablue is an unknown quantity at this point

I just had mine in Sydney on Saturday. Easy stuff; just name a couple of the oduties and a couple of the benefits of citizenship, a police check and that was it.

I was told that the waiting time in NSW for a ceremony was circa 6 months (I know my friend's wife has been waiting months). However, I was offered the option of a 'no frills' ceremony (no guests, food, etc) which could be anywhere in Sydney. I was told I would get an invitation to this within weeks. I seem to recall that this was offered to Saturday interviewees only.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar
We have our citizenship interview booked for the 24th of April. I have read through the blurb on the citizenship website about the rights and responsibilities as an Aussie citizen. I think that is all the preparation we need to do, other than sort the paperwork we have to take with us.

I was wondering how other people had found their interview. Was it pretty relaxed? or more of a grilling?
We had our interview a few weeks ago now. Very easy and relaxed although a very busy place, nightmare parking and no loos in the building!!

Mostly chatted about Ben Cousins ............oh and cricket.

We were shown a sheet of paper with our new rights and responsibilities and that was in. 'ongrats you've passed, you'll hear from us soon regarding the ceremony.'

I had a nice letter a few days later from the Immigration MP type person......my husband is still waiting for his,as his is a 'common' name and it's flagged up all the crims with the same moniker They are double checking him as we speak. Aaah, the irony as it was his Visa that got me in
Old Apr 16th 2007, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Mrs K & I had the citizenship interview today. All went well except their computer showed that there was a Mrs K in South Australia who was convicted of a criminal offence and they would have to check it out. The interviewer said I was approved for citizenship and I should get a letter within a few weeks.

My wife would have to wait until they made further police checks before being approved which could take up to 6 weeks before she can be approved SHe has never been to SA.
Sorry I didn't read your reply before posting mine. You can see we are in a similar situation
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Might be a daft question but here goes lol

Can you apply for the ceremony 3 months before your due date.

Our date is about the 25 Sept 2008 and I was wondering if we could apply about july as I know it takes time for the council to invite you (or fit you in)to the ceremony.

Or do you have to wait until your date for qualifying has passed

thanks

Lace xx
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lacey21

Our date is about the 25 Sept 2008 and I was wondering if we could apply about july as I know it takes time for the council to invite you (or fit you in)to the ceremony.

thanks

Lace xx

Hi Gail, hows Jam's and Paul? I was going to ask this daft question as well as ours will be March 2008. Actually I didn't even realise we had to go for an interview or be asked lots of questions! Scary! What if I fail - do I kicked back to the UK? Do they ask the boys questions? They're only little, Ollie can only just write his name! Right, I won't stress!
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Sorry I didn't read your reply before posting mine. You can see we are in a similar situation
They have to be careful with all them crims about. In the UK you can now get a criminal record for putting ordinary trash in the recycling bin. That would bugger up your chances of getting a visa in the first place.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

lol Like the trash bin reference lol

Yeah there all right. Just thought I would ask. I don't usually get an answer and this time is no different

good old British Ex Pats eh!

Speak to you soon hun

love me xxxx
Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lacey21

You have to wait, sorry.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:07 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by KatieStar
We have our citizenship interview booked for the 24th of April. I have read through the blurb on the citizenship website about the rights and responsibilities as an Aussie citizen. I think that is all the preparation we need to do, other than sort the paperwork we have to take with us.

I was wondering how other people had found their interview. Was it pretty relaxed? or more of a grilling?
Our interview was very relaxed, the guy asked if we knew our responsibilities as citizens, we said yes.........and that was that, no questions. We then had to wait for almost 9 months for a ceremony (took place two weeks ago) ceremony was excellent, we really enjoyed the whole experience. Again nothing to worry about, as you dont have to learn anything, and just have to repeat a few sentences after the mayor says them first.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys. It is handy to know they let you know then and there. I am not sure if our surname is popular in Oz. I may have a look in the phone book LOL. Hopefully there aren't too many crims with our name.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Our interview was very relaxed, the guy asked if we knew our responsibilities as citizens, we said yes.........and that was that, no questions. We then had to wait for almost 9 months for a ceremony (took place two weeks ago) ceremony was excellent, we really enjoyed the whole experience. Again nothing to worry about, as you dont have to learn anything, and just have to repeat a few sentences after the mayor says them first.
Hiya,
Where was your ceremony?
Old Apr 17th 2007, 6:38 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Hiya,
Where was your ceremony?
Hi. It was in Joondalup, in the building more or less opposite to Kulcha.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

thank you taking the time to reply JAJ

Lace x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.