Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are your emigration plans a secret from friends and family?

Are your emigration plans a secret from friends and family?

Old Oct 31st 2007, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

nikedge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are your emigration plans a secret from friends and family?

We haven't told a sole yet- as if OH doesn't get the job then we'll have to look into other ways of getting there.

This forum is the only place where I can talk about it.

Not sure I'll be able to tell friends and family when he does get job as I know some will make us feel guilty for 'leaving them', although I'm sure the majority will be pleased for us and will be booking their flights out asap.

Does anyone else have the Australia secret?

Nikki
Old Oct 31st 2007, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Are your emigration plans a secret from friends and family?

For us we thought it was best to tell all straight away and let them get used to the idea. We are only at the start of the visa process so it should give them enough time to get their heads around the idea.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

We told our families before I even spoke to my boss about the possibility of a transfer! There were immediate tears but now we talk about it all the time and they are living the emigration process with us.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Bag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant future

We've kept our plans to ourselves for about a year but now we're telling people as I hate having secrets and like to be open about everything. I didn't want to suddenly announce to friends 'oh by the way, we're off to oz next month'!
We've just sent our application off to the agent so it is a case of when rather than if we go to Oz. Telling people at work has made it all seem so much more real and telling family and friends has made me excited as they all want to come and see us. Also - I need people to talk about it with, my poor husband gets earache otherwise!

Alex
Old Oct 31st 2007, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

nikedge is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope he gets this job so we should be able to start telling people in the new year- will still have to apply for visas etc so still a way off for people to get used to the idea.
Niki
Old Oct 31st 2007, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

We decided to wait until we got the skills assessment before telling anyone - as that is often the hardest part. We didn't want to look silly by saying we're off to Oz and then not go. LOL.

2 days later our 6 year old announced it to the family! Couldn't keep it quiet after that and I'm sick of people asking me why we haven't got the visa yet - when they don't understand how long it takes!
Old Oct 31st 2007, 3:34 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

We kept it a secret for ages, eventually told everyone January 07, put the house on the market and now can't bloody sell the thing.

We validated in 2005, hubby got a spouse visa, so our initial plan was to go in 2008 cos thought it would take that long to get visa, got it in about 16 weeks (that will teach me to believe everything I read).

Anyway been out in the open for ages now and everyone is fine, just always asking, have you sold yet??? if it's not one thing it's another

Good luck with telling everyone.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fly Away
I'm sick of people asking me why we haven't got the visa yet - when they don't understand how long it takes!
Tell me about it my Dad asks me every time I speak to him and I speak to him every couple of days!
Old Oct 31st 2007, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

mark c d will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Are your emigration plans a secret from friends and family?

Hi Nikki,we feel the same,just came back from 4 weeks in OZ with the family,the wife needed convincing and have just started looking into the process,but we can't seem to be able to tell the family and our freinds about our future plans because we feel so guilty.I'm not sure they would understand why we want to move away from our freinds and family half way across the world where we don't know anyone,just have to wait and see what happens,all the best Mark.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

This was our third attempt to get a visa so we kept it quiet this time... I told my parents and close friends when we got our skills assessment confirmation.. and we put in the main application..

The main reason we didnt tell everyone too is that we didnt want to tell the kids until we were sure we were going... I know that they are young but they would be wondering and maybe worrying.. plus if it was going to take us months and months to get a "yes/no" then I didnt think it was fair to keep the kids hanging on that long..

Em x

PS I hasten to add that my son found out after I left my "living and working in Australia" book in the lounge! ha! what a dope!
Old Oct 31st 2007, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Friends and family know, work (mostly) don't. OH work doesn't know, my boss and a few other people who would be affected severely at work know.

Boss signed my work reference today, so he kinda had to know
Old Oct 31st 2007, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya,

We kept it quiet, our last resort was a student visa so I'm glad we didn't say a thing!!!

Only thing though is that the student visa is quick as you can only apply 3 months before course starts. So although it's been over a year since we've decided, for everyone else it's been a matter of months, make that weeks!!!

Cheers and good luck all!!
Mandy
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:57 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

we waited on till we knew exactly what our plans were then we told every one but i kinda wish we hadn't might sound dumb but some of our friends have kinda forgotten about us they are nearly treating us like we are gone already. even my closest friends are distancing them selfs either we have turned in to annoying gitsor they are trying to get used to us being gone very weird feeling
Niamh
Old Oct 31st 2007, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

louise-ni will become famous soon enough

We havent told anyone at all, tho we wont be able to move for at least 18 months which is reason why we decided not to say. I must say its really hard keeping it to myself, but gonna just hang on in there in case we change our minds.... tho I cant see that happening!
Old Oct 31st 2007, 10:46 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

we told everyone right from the start...we involved the kids right from the start also...after all it is their life too. We explained to them what we were thinking of doing and asked their opinion...they had loads and loads of questions to ask which was good.

Its a stressful enough time without trying to keep secrets from people as well. IMO tell early gives people the time to get used to the idea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.