Your dream move

Old Feb 10th 2004, 3:22 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Your dream move

These questions are obviously aimed at those who have made the move.

Your remarks,no doubt frank will be appreciated

1. Has your move been easier or harder than you expected?

2. How as the loss of family support affected your move?

3. Did you at any time seriously consider moving back?

4. What aspect of your move surprised you the most, good or bad?

5. Looking back do you feel that you made the right move and was it worth it?

6. If you had 1 peice of advice for a potential immergrant what is it?

Sorry for the long list

Jack
Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:22 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your dream move

Originally posted by Jack Daws
Jack
Yep, Frank is a good guy - bonk.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:30 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Neither - about what I expected

Not at all. Not really 'close' to family.

No way! It took too much bloody effort to get here!

Good - the fun we had playing the computer games on Singapore Airlines!
Bad - the pigging movers screwing up our suede sofas. Grrrr!!!

Yep. Yep.

6. If you had 1 peice of advice for a potential immigrant what is it?
Bring LOTS of money. The more you bring, the easier it is. If you're on a tight budget it can be extremely stressful - more so than if you don't have any money troubles. (But you could say that about life in general - as John Lennon said "Life is like a shit sandwich: the more bread you have, the less shit you have to eat!")

Sorry for the long list

Jack
Answers in the list above
Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:34 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

OK, been here nearly a year, so here goes.

Overall, harder. You only think about the good stuff while you're waiting for the visa but the time from the removalists arriving to settling in is pretty traumatic, particularly for women.

We never really relied on family back home so it hasn't. My folks have been out already and are returning next spring. My wife did have to return for her brother's funeral, which was expensive as well as traumatic for her.

No, not yet. Nothing to move back for.

The ease at which I managed to get an IT job in Perth, I wasn't expecting that. The other thing was I never realised just how many Brits there were living here despite about 3 previous visits as a tourist/backpacker

Yes, definitely.

Bring everything, don't get rid of stuff because you are moving, because you'll only have to buy it again here. And don't convert prices to pounds in your head.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:38 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Good advice in No: 6, Renth. I wish I'd brought everything. And use $2 to the pound to compare, coz that's the 'purchasing power' of Aussie wages.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:39 pm
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

- harder , found the lack of social life to start with difficult

- definetely - you will have times that you will want/need them

- after 5 years - heading back - but have thought about it many a time

- surprised at how it challenged me, however like the fact that ive learned to cope on my own and become more independant and that ill never regret moving out here - its an experience - you may come and enjoy but deciding to stay for ever is a completly different story - but you will only understand that once your here and been here a few years.

i have enjoyed and hated some of it! wouldnt want to stay here much longer as i feel its detrimental tomy career -not overly career minded - buts its a bit of a backwater here.... i would probably suggest to most to come for a year or 2 and travel and enjoy oz and enjoy rather then move perm to start with.. then you may have a better understanding of what your coming to - aholiday is completly different to living.... you work, pay bills, etc etc - same stuff far far from home ...... suits some not others.

Sorry for the long list

Jack
Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:45 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

About what I expected

Not a dickie bird

No

Speed of getting a job.

Yes

Bring as much cash and goods with you as possible. Your money may seem copious when you get here but think you are earning dollars and be prudent with your savings.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 12:05 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Sorry for the long list

Jack
1. It was easy for us in the visa process: Spouse visa for hubby. I would say it's about as hard as we expected.

2. The loss of family support has been awful. Not just family but close friends too. I suffered a miscarriage and to be almost alone through that, wasn't something I wouldn't wish to experience again. Being here in Oz doesn't anywhere near make up for having no close friends and family for things that happen throughout life.

3. Yes from about month 4. We are now moving back this year.

4. The main thing that suprised me was the attitude to working women, part time hours that is, and the length of time to get employment. Also the homesickness suprised me, I didn't think I would be this bad.

5. It wasn't worth it really. We can look at it as an adventure that we didn't do when we were younger but a very costly one. Would have been better to rent the house out and lived here for 6 months first.

6. The best advice I could give would be to 'seriously' think again and again about your reasons for moving. If it's the same old..Too cold, to crowded, to many immigrants then I suggest to thing again. If you aren't happy with your life now then imagine it 12,000 miles away from all that you know, living the same life as you are now but in a warmer environment. Don't sell the house, rent it out. If you can't afford to do that then save up till you can
Old Feb 11th 2004, 12:09 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

4. The main thing that suprised me was the attitude to working women, part time hours that is, and the length of time to get employment. Also the homesickness suprised me, I didn't think I would be this bad.
I still can't believe there is no satutory paid maternity leave.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

1. The preparations in the Uk was the hardest part for us. Since arriving it has been easier than I thought, most definately.

2. No real family support in Uk for one reason or another, miss my best friend for emergency child picking up situations.

3. No

4. How well the children have settled in is a very good thing. I expected to get a job straight away & didn't which really brought
me down to earth with a bump.

5. As it stands at the moment, yes and it was worth it

6. Be realistic with what you hope to achieve here.

And yes, no maternity leave is a total bummer...
Old Feb 11th 2004, 12:37 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Easier. We had our bad luck through the 2 year visa debacle, so it seemed like a piece of cake once we got here.
not at all as they are all here. But all of Matts family are still there and its hard to deal with the kids missing grandparents etc
No way! To early yet, but never say never!
BAD: The total crapness of the shippers this end to get us our furniture delivered (it arrived on 30th nov got it 22 jan!)
GOOD: How quickly we found a beautiful area, house, school and the icing on the cake, Matts job!
yep! wish we'd done it sooner!
Stay calm, things will NEVER go according to the timescale in your head!
keep your sense of humour, otherwise you may go mad cos EVERYTHING is so different
Old Feb 11th 2004, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

NJFOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jack Daws

Much easier. Visa took 8 months, sold house very quickly (without estate agent ) secured job before I arrived here.

Not really, wifes family were as useful as a wet paper bag, my family were overseas so we were fairly independent. Wife misses her girlfriends most and I miss hving a drink with mates.

No, our plan was always to stay for at least 2 years and get citizenship. I love it here and it would take a lot to get me back. Wife wasfairly fed up in first couple of months and very down - she would have gone back to uk at the drop of a hat. But since we have moved into our new house she has really settled and loves it here. Our kids love it here. They were very happy in Suirrey but are 100 times happier now. (Typical complaint from my son is "Dad why do we have to gop to the beach every day?!!!!!)

I was surprised with how lucky we were (selling house, new job etc) and I was shocked at Melbourne's house prices, especially if you want an established area. Other big shock was the working hours - where I work there is abit of a long hours culture)

Yes - best thing I did in ages.

Focus on why you want to move to Australia and not why you want to leave the UK.

Don't come if you have any relationship problems - you need to be close and supportive, everone I know who made the move says it is usually harder on the wife.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 1:44 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Sorry for the long list

Jack

1 - no, I'm used to moving around.

2 -yes and no. It's hard when something back home happens to one of your family members. Hubby lost both grandparents - could only make it back for one of their funerals. My dad was in hospital a few years ago with a heart bypass - I wanted to be with my mum at the time - to support her - she was in a terrible state. Hubby's dad suffered a stroke and nobody told my hubby until after.. Christmas is the worst - when you wish you had family around you, a phone call is not the same, neither is web cams. Neither myself or hubby can drop things at a moments notice to fly back to Britain when we wish - too many responsibilities here.

3 - yes, I never did emigrate forever , I wasn't trying to escape the UK (we originally moved with the job to Asia then onto AU to set up a branch here in QLD )

4 nothing really surprised me. I suppose what did surprise me about Aus is the backwardness of standards here.

5 - yes and no.. no regrets , but I suppose if I knew what I knew today I would have gone on either to Thailand or China ( we had a choice of three places to go at the time)

6 - If you're emigrating to escape UK problems, think again. Australia has the same amount problems as like most countries in the world. Come with an open mind , if you like it - well that's good, if you don't, don't worry - nothing is lost .. treat it as an experience.

Last edited by Ceri; Feb 11th 2004 at 2:02 am.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 3:23 am
Merlot

Default Great Post

Good questions and when I get enough energy after a day from hell, including that crappie heat/humidity I will give some thoughts, both good and bad?

Merlot

Old Feb 11th 2004, 3:27 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Great Post

Originally posted by Merlot
Good questions and when I get enough energy after a day from hell, including that crappie heat/humidity I will give some thoughts, both good and bad?

Merlot
I thought of you when I stepped out earlier. Even at Bondi its a stinker of a day. Its not even sunny out there and no sign of storm relief on the radar or in the coming days.

Sydney: Afternoon showers/chance thunderstorm. 36
Liverpool: Afternoon showers/chance thunderstorm. 38
Penrith: Afternoon showers/chance thunderstorm. 40
Richmond: Afternoon showers/chance thunderstorm. 40

Precis For Thursday Min Max

Sydney: Afternoon showers/thunderstorm. 24 36
Liverpool: Afternoon showers/thunderstorm. 23 40
Penrith: Afternoon showers/thunderstorm. 23 41
Richmond: Afternoon showers/thunderstorm. 23 40

UV Index: 12 [Extreme] decreasing to 8 [Very High] under cloud.

Further Outlook
Min Max

Friday : Humid. Chance afternoon shower/thunderstorm. NW winds
turning S/SE late morning.

Sydney: 24 29
Liverpool: 23 33
Penrith: 23 36
Richmond: 23 35

Saturday : Fine. Humid. SE/NE winds.

Sydney: 22 28
Liverpool: 21 32
Penrith: 21 34
Richmond: 21 34

Sunday : Fine. Humid. NW/NE winds.

Sydney: 23 36
Liverpool: 22 40
Penrith: 22 40
Richmond: 22 40

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.