Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your country needs you

Your country needs you

Old May 6th 2003, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Your country needs you

A lot of people here seem to have a lot of energy, seem prepared to get along with whoever and whatever they find in Oz/NZ, and are prepared to rough it for long-term gain. There are not many who don't realise how hard emigrating can be.

So why give Oz or NZ the benefit of all that energy, persistence, courage, and friendliness? Why not stick with Britain and make it a better place to live?

Of course, I am being hypocritical in this by being, for the moment, an emigrant myself, but what do you say? Would you be prepared to give Britain another chance and make it more like Oz or NZ in things where they get it right rather than packing Blighty in? I am certainly re-assessing my original choice, having learnt that there are just the same probs in NZ as there are in Britain and so why not just get stuck in where you are in the first place?

William Blake wrote of BUILDING Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land, not emigrating to the middle east.

Slippers
Old May 6th 2003, 5:48 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your country needs you

Originally posted by Slippers
you are in the first place?

William Blake wrote of BUILDING Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land, not emigrating to the middle east.

Slippers

My thoughts are along the same lines but the refugees on this forum are seekers of the Holy Grail.
They want the easy life that they could not be bothered to work for in the UK , the truth is for most life is hard then you die.
People make a country worth living in not weather or beaches , I find the deluded dreamers not the kind of people I would hope to live next to.

Old May 6th 2003, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Slippers
A lot of people here seem to have a lot of energy, seem prepared to get along with whoever and whatever they find in Oz/NZ, and are prepared to rough it for long-term gain. There are not many who don't realise how hard emigrating can be.

So why give Oz or NZ the benefit of all that energy, persistence, courage, and friendliness? Why not stick with Britain and make it a better place to live?

Slippers - I agree with you entirely - let`s hope there`s more like you out there!!!
Old May 6th 2003, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

karen and andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Why didn't you conserve your energy and stay and make England a better place.

People need to find out for themselves if migration if right for them. You don't know until you try.

We are not opting for an easy life just one with a little more family time, which we will get by migrating.

If we don't get on then we will go on to somewhere else.

When you return to England and makeit your fantasy land, good luck.oh you like to dream too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Each to his own.

Cheers

karen and andy
Old May 6th 2003, 7:04 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by karen and andy
Why didn't you conserve your energy and stay and make England a better place.

People need to find out for themselves if migration if right for them. You don't know until you try.

We are not opting for an easy life just one with a little more family time, which we will get by migrating.

If we don't get on then we will go on to somewhere else.

When you return to England and makeit your fantasy land, good luck.oh you like to dream too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Each to his own.

Cheers

karen and andy

You can live in hope the chances are that you will work more hours and I know who has a fantasy having lived in Australia and its not me .
Good luck you need it .
By the way who would have you if Australia did not?

Last edited by pommie bastard; May 6th 2003 at 7:10 am.
Old May 6th 2003, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

karen and andy is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think that we can possibly work any more hours than we do now.

My hubby worked friday 7am-4pm, had a call from work and went back in 8pm-4am.
He also worked 7 days a week 80+ hours per week for the 6 months leading up to xmas. Senior management were so impressed by this that they asked him to work xmas day and the 4 day break, when he refused, Their reply ,you have no f****** commitment.

Plus i also run my own business whilst bringing up 2 children.

Things have changed in the uk, but you can change this with allyour positive attitudes when you come back.

When we are at work we can't spend the whole day on the computer. As most companies now log and track internet traffic.
Plus we don't have time!

So you may say i'm a dreamer but i not the only one!

Cheers

Karen
Old May 6th 2003, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Whilst William Blake spoke about building Jerusalem in Britains pleasant land, he never thought that Britain was becoming to look more like Jerusalem with its ethnic mix and racial problems. Could be one of the reasons I'm going. At least I'll be understood at work in NZ.
Old May 6th 2003, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Not if you work in Auckland!!!! Grab a crash course in chinese/malaysian/korean book at the airport and you should be sweet.
Old May 6th 2003, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Roger
Whilst William Blake spoke about building Jerusalem in Britains pleasant land, he never thought that Britain was becoming to look more like Jerusalem with its ethnic mix and racial problems. Could be one of the reasons I'm going. At least I'll be understood at work in NZ.
I take it you're joking! No racial/ethnic problems in NZ? Get real.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...reportID=55514 In Manukau city only 50% of residents are of European origin.

Last edited by muppetking; May 6th 2003 at 10:29 am.
Old May 6th 2003, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

So you may say i'm a dreamer but i not the only one!
Nice one Karen,

Strange how people get natioalistic for a country that they left presumably for a better life. Has the UK suddenly got better while they were away? Or did it become a better place because they left. !!!

the way I see it is the UK has its good points and its bad points, Australia & NZ have good points and bad points.

But let us "dreamers" decide if Australia offers what we want.
Old May 6th 2003, 10:51 am
visa'd member oh yeah!

CROSSY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
My thoughts are along the same lines but the refugees on this forum are seekers of the Holy Grail.
They want the easy life that they could not be bothered to work for in the UK , the truth is for most life is hard then you die.
People make a country worth living in not weather or beaches , I find the deluded dreamers not the kind of people I would hope to live next to.

Were you not a deluded dreamer, seeking the holy grail? Did you not go in search of good weather and beaches, did you not think life will be better when we get to oz??? Be honest now.
Old May 6th 2003, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by karen and andy
Plus i also run my own business whilst bringing up 2 children.
Will you be able to take your business with you? Also who was the main candidate on your appliation, yourself or your husband?

Regards
Old May 6th 2003, 11:49 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

There is nothing wrong with dreaming and hoping for something different. A change is as good as a rest.

I can't really see the point of moving back to a country once you have left it. It's kinda like quiting your job, trying something different finding out it doesn't work for you and then going back to your old job. Talk about moving backwards. Life is about moving forward, onwards...always. Australia is a big country - if you don't like one area why not try somewhere else.

The UK is a good place to live. I lived in Canada for 21 years, have now lived in the UK for 10 and now I'm ready for another change.

Life is what you make it...I just want to make it with sunshine, beaches and a hell of a lot less people in my face!

PB - I hope that you find what you want when you get back to the UK - friends, family, good house. But be prepared for the Nanny State when you get here. You drive? Be prepared for high prices, high petrol, high road tax. You drink? The prices keep going up for a pint of your local bitter.You smoke? Be prepared to not get any change from a fiver...and also you won't be able to smoke in public places before too long. Want to get in your car and drive around the UK to see how beautiful it is? Good luck - roads like carparks, weather usually sh*te, B&B's very expensive, campsites OK but not as good as they are there. Maybe you'll want to take the train - quicker, easier, less expensive. Think again. Book last minute and you pay through the teeth. And there is no guarantee you'll actually get where you want to get to. Put some money away for a pension? HA! Read in the papers how footballers get paid far too much money, but in the East End of London children are starving, people in the NOrth of England are starving, councils can't look after children properly, Tony Blair is turning 50 and boy oh boy they aren't going to let you forget it. Every paper, TV show, radio news has to mention it.

I appreciate there are going to be things wrong with Australia. But that's what life is all about. But at least I can experience new things. And that is also what life is about.
Old May 6th 2003, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

I appreciate there are going to be things wrong with Australia. But that's what life is all about. But at least I can experience new things. And that is also what life is about. [/QUOTE]

Hear Hear!!

I'm not actually dissatisfied with my lot here in the UK. It's just that I've reached the grand old age of 38 and I can see the same old routine stretching in front of me for the next 25 years!! I appreciate that life in Aus will also become routine but it will be different.... What going there offers me, is a chance to get out of my job (which I find extremely tedious) and step back for a while and consider what else I can do. We will be able to do that courtesy of the equity made on the house (hopefully). It's something I would never be able to do here. I want a bit of excitement and, if we blow it, well we can always come back!

Nicola
Old May 6th 2003, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Vee
There is nothing wrong with dreaming and hoping for something different. A change is as good as a rest.

I can't really see the point of moving back to a country once you have left it. It's kinda like quiting your job, trying something different finding out it doesn't work for you and then going back to your old job. Talk about moving backwards. Life is about moving forward, onwards...always. Australia is a big country - if you don't like one area why not try somewhere else.

The UK is a good place to live. I lived in Canada for 21 years, have now lived in the UK for 10 and now I'm ready for another change.

Life is what you make it...I just want to make it with sunshine, beaches and a hell of a lot less people in my face!

PB - I hope that you find what you want when you get back to the UK - friends, family, good house. But be prepared for the Nanny State when you get here. You drive? Be prepared for high prices, high petrol, high road tax. You drink? The prices keep going up for a pint of your local bitter.You smoke? Be prepared to not get any change from a fiver...and also you won't be able to smoke in public places before too long. Want to get in your car and drive around the UK to see how beautiful it is? Good luck - roads like carparks, weather usually sh*te, B&B's very expensive, campsites OK but not as good as they are there. Maybe you'll want to take the train - quicker, easier, less expensive. Think again. Book last minute and you pay through the teeth. And there is no guarantee you'll actually get where you want to get to. Put some money away for a pension? HA! Read in the papers how footballers get paid far too much money, but in the East End of London children are starving, people in the NOrth of England are starving, councils can't look after children properly, Tony Blair is turning 50 and boy oh boy they aren't going to let you forget it. Every paper, TV show, radio news has to mention it.

I appreciate there are going to be things wrong with Australia. But that's what life is all about. But at least I can experience new things. And that is also what life is about.

Vee,

Isn't your philosophy of "forward, onwards...always" rather at odds with your return to England after your 20 year emigration to Canada? I realise your emigration to Canada was not your choice but it sounds like you did choose to revisit your past. Now it seems you are ready to go on to new fields, but is your life then not a good example of it sometimes being better to back up a bit first, and appearing to go back, before forging forwards in life?

Slippers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.